Urgent Injury

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Oh My Gosh. This is terrible. I came home from practice a couple of hours ago with my mom practically carrying me in the door.

On our second to last event, (floor) we were working dance skills and everything was going great. We started working on cat leaps, and cat leap full turns. I'm pretty good at these, and wasn't worried about anything going wrong. But then, as I tried my last one, I came down with my ankle to the side, and while I was turning out of the skill, my ankle collapsed, and I heard a horrible pop. I'd sprained my ankle on a CAT LEAP full. Jeez. Couldn't I have been doing something cooler, like a double back? or full twisting Yurchenko? Nope. Of Course Not. My coach wrapped my ankle in ice and an ace bandage, and I watched my ankle swell up and turn purple.

Now I'm on crutches, and due at Flip Fest (a gymnastics camp) in exactly ten days. Now I'm sure it could be a ton worse--I could have broken it,etc.-- But this truly is a horrible time to have any kind of injury, no matter how minor. I'm already battling osgood-shlaughters (please excuse my spelling) in my left knee, and now my right ankle has a lump on it the size of a soft ball.

Now that I'm done complaining, does any one have any suggestions to help me heal as quickly as possible?? anything will help. Also, is there any conditioning that I can do on one leg? Thanks for reading this ridiculously long post--

-(Frustrated)KyraGymnast--

I'm so sorry about your injury, especially when you are supposed to leave for camp so soon. But my best advice would be to see a doctor. They would be able to tell you exactly what is wrong, how it should be treated, and what you can/cannot do while waiting for it to heal. In the meantime, just take it easy- rest, ice, and keep it elevated.

Ice as much as you can each day for 10-15 minutes. Shoot for 5-7x a day and be happy with 3-4. Spread it out if you can. Once in the morning, after school, during gym, when you get home, before bed.

There is plenty of conditioning you can do on one leg. Virtually all upper body conditioning such as Handstands, pushups, dips, and pullups and rope climbs (don't drop down), any core conditioning.

For lower body, one leg squats on the good come to mind besides heel/toe raises. Also wall sits or wall squats with a ball between your back and the wall.

You could probably do floor glute-ham raises if it didn't hurt your injured ankle to be braced against something. We usually hook our ankles under a floor beam or the lowest bar on the stall bars or have a partner sit or hold the ankles down.

[YOUTUBE]3ZUbpWmJHrs[/YOUTUBE]

You may be able to do deadlifts or stiff leg deadlifts even with a sprained ankle. Put the ankle in a shoe and if it can bear weight without pain, you should be good to go. If it hurts, STAY OFF IT!

[YOUTUBE]pjBI9qxibTc[/YOUTUBE]

Glute bridges should also be doable with the sprained ankle.

[YOUTUBE]SoQj0SaOGHI[/YOUTUBE]

To condition your ankles, lots and lots of heel/toe raises besides ankle circles. Shoot for 50-150 repetitions.

You can also sit in a pike and simply try to roll your ankle to the inside and outside. This works well with a partner but with your sprained ankle, just moving it is fine.

For starters , I would see a physician and get an accurate diagnosis and estimated time that you will be <100%...then I would contact the Flip Fest camp (or have your mom do it) and ask if , because of your brand new injury, you could come during a later week in the summer when your injury will be possibly much better and you would be more able to take full advantage of the camp and its facilities. If they have room in later sessions, it shouldn't be an issue.

Absolutely get yourself to an Ortho ASAP. I've had this type of injury many times in my life, ultimately ending in a reconstruction of my ankle tendons. Since this is your first occurrence, it likely won't be that severe, but it needs to be examined.

That being said, once you get the swelling down (assuming it is only a high ankle sprain), it will be stiff. An easy mobility exercise that can be done fairly early on is to write the letters of the alphabet with your big toe as the "pencil". This series of movements rotates through all the mobility angles of an ankle and should help to keep scar tissue from overdeveloping.

Ice and elevation are your friends, and after the first few days, heat works well. Ibuprofen or naproxen can help keep swelling down. An Ortho can prescribe exactly what regime to follow based on the location and severity of your sprain; you may benefit from the help of an Athletic Trainer, too (one of whom your Ortho should be able to recommend), to help you get back in full form ASAP.

Best of luck - I know how painful that injury can be!

my advice is the same as everyone else first step see the dr and get xrays to make sure there aren't hidden injuries. Call the camp and see if they can give you another week later in the season or if they are just a one week camp maybe refund your money. start making that Ice to ice the injury until you can get a DR to see it. Nothing can speed up the healing process your body will heal at its own pace. Just remember your health is more important than any gymnastics or camp.

KYRA!!!!!!!!! I'M SO SORRY!!!!! but i hope you can go to flip fest because i can't handle you know who and you know who without u! :)

I would go to the doctor right away!!!!! There is a big chance that it could be worse than it is. Depending on what they say you might have to resecdule camp. I know this would be devastating, but wouldn't you rather go when you are at full health, then when you are ify. You will learn all lot more when you are completly healed

Thank You!

KYRA!!!!!!!!! I'M SO SORRY!!!!! but i hope you can go to flip fest because i can't handle you know who and you know who without u! :)

Haha Brielle :D I hope so too!! I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanna be there with Nastia!

Thanks everybody! You guys have been so helpful! My ankles doing much better and the swelling is going down. The bruises are already starting to change to a more brownish purple which is good since that means my ankle's on the road to recovery :D I got an ankle brace which seems to be helping, and my mom won't let me walk at all so I'm all good there :)

Ugh! I hated missing practice today, but I'll be back Monday for lots and lots of bars! Thanks everyone!:eek:

__Love__~Kyra~

oh suck it up kyragymnast:) pull your big girl leo up and stop whinin'!! hehe. just flip! i loveeeeeeeeeeeeeee you:) have fun at camp love.

with love,
lyssa-bgymnast:p

oh suck it up you baby and pull your big girl leo up and strap up that brace and tumble! haha. your fine girlie. just ice and rest!!!:) love ya girl.

with love,
lyssa-bgymnast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back