WAG US Awards

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

OzZee

Proud Parent
Reading a few threads I gather that in the US more awards are given out at competitions. And I remember seeing a video once of kids getting medals at 8th place or something.
So what is the general rule in the US and what sort of percent get something?

Here it's medals for top 3 (apparatus and AA) and then certificates or ribbons for the next 3.
So chance of getting something depends on how big the comp is and also if you are in the 'normal' age group (juniors and seniors tend to have far less competitors so much easier to place, often at smaller invitationals seniors will all place with only say 5 competitors per level, but for intermediates lots go home with nothing).

Reading a few threads I gather that in the US more awards are given out at competitions.

I was struck by this, too! Here in NZ we award top 6 AA and top 3 apparatus. Only two age categories for STEPs - 'unders' and 'overs'. Team awards are top 3 and are not divided by age category.

I think it depends on the level, the region, and the particular gym. At lower levels (1-3), every kid gets a medal according to their scores- over a 8.9, gold; over 8.4 silver; etc for individual events; and same for AA - gold for over 35, silver for over 34, etc (I don't remember the actual cutoffs). Level 4 and 5 here usually get medals for the top three (podium) spots, and ribbons up to 10th place per event. Medals are given for AA...typically fancier ones for the top 3 spots, and participation medals up to tenth place. I think higher levels just get medals for top three places (individual and AA) , and no ribbons.

What I personally do not like is ribbons for 10 spots and they have 12- 15 kids in an age group...so almost everyone in a 6 year group gets something, but a few go home with nothing...that's sad considering what a rough day they had to begin with! They should place out to half the number of kids...so half get something, and half do not...a little more fair, I think.

But I am in region 8 (deep South), I'm sure it varies across the US...

At lower levels (1-3), every kid gets a medal according to their scores- over a 8.9, gold; over 8.4 silver; etc for individual events; and same for AA - gold for over 35, silver for over 34, etc

For the lower levels where I live it's similar to you, everyone gets ribbons according to their scores,(blue for 9's, red for 8's, etc), and medals are only given out to a certain percent of the competitors.

I'm pretty sure USAG has guidelines that say at invitationals, and different kinds of meets, a certain percent of the competitors HAVE to get medals. But it does vary from meet to meet.

In our area, 1-3 might get a trophy. 50% + 1 get a medal. No ribbons. Sometimes AA will give a medal or participation trophy to all girls.

Here, for big invitatationals, the top 40% in an age group get whatever they're giving out....trophies, medals, etc.

Have you been to the meets where they give out rubber duckies for girls who don't fall off the balance beam? It seems to me that the girls who fell off should get the duckie.

At all of the competitions I have been to this year, 50% +1 get medals for apparatus and usually top three get trophies for AA and the rest of the girls get medals so everyone goes home with something.

Typically I've seen them go out 50% for awards--usually the top 3 are medals and the rest are ribbons, but it varies. MN has "guidelines" for awards (the 50%) but no hard rules for invitationals. Currently here level 4s get participation awards. Level 5s get ribbons based on score (blue is 9.0 and above, red 8.0-8.975, etc.) and level 6 and above get placement awards.

The meets I've been to for L4 boys did all events and AA out to 50%. All medals, maybe something more for 1st place. With 6 events, most of the time everyone on our team came away with atleast 1 medal. Girls have fun meets for some of the girls L4 where they get ribbons based on score like the above poster said. Or a regular L4 level which is just like the boys.

lol. we've dumbed that down also. i have been at some meets where they go down to 20th place! everyone is a winner!! and we have some school districts in the states that have eliminated Valedictorian. they don't want the other kids to have their self esteem adversely affected.

With the younger kids it's nice when they do AA medals to 100% just so they can celebrate not dying in the attempt. Most meets I have been at have been medaling about 33-50% on events and/or AA, rest get nothing unless they do 100% AA. Occasionally it will be top 2/3 get event medals, 100% all around. I would personally prefer less medals but having them move to a swim meet model. Swim meets, per event usually top 10 get ribbons (out of fields that average maybe 40), sometimes top 1 or 1-3 get medals ... but you just look up on the wall printout to see what your kid placed. Awards get picked up by the teams and quietly distributed in usually a file cabinet set up for that purpose (folder for each swimmer) at some point after the meet.

Have you been to the meets where they give out rubber duckies for girls who don't fall off the balance beam? It seems to me that the girls who fell off should get the duckie.

That's funny! I hope that is for the itty bitty gymnast, my 8th grader would not be motivated by a rubber duck! Lol

This weekend my gymnast had 5 girls in her age division, they gave medals to 1st-3rd on events & all of them for AA.

I think some sort of encouragement, to recognise participation is good, especially with the younger kids. Even a certificate, a participation medal, a pin, something for them to take home, show school, the grandparents. Meets early on in a gymnasts career should encourage, not dishearten. My DD is happy as larry with a participation token, but hates comes home empty handed- she likes to have something physical to show people "look what I did". Maybe once a child reaches optionals it should become more serious...Although I believe everyone got a participation medal for London 2012!

The in-house meets I've been to vary- one does 1st-3rd AA medals, ribbons down to 6th only if there are more than 10 participants. Everyone is given a participation medal as they stand in line. The other calls everyone out from last, gives the participation medal, with 1st-3rd medals. I quite like the name calling, it's nice for them to be recognised individually.

Generally, not always, they award out 50%. Of course it varies. I do notice many gyms do hand out a medal/ribbon for all AA places. The top 3 will get something a little different and the rest get some sort of generic award.

lol. we've dumbed that down also. i have been at some meets where they go down to 20th place! everyone is a winner!! and we have some school districts in the states that have eliminated Valedictorian. they don't want the other kids to have their self esteem adversely affected.

This is true. We don't name a valedictorian at my high school. Can't have anyone's feelings hurt. *eye roll*

That's funny! I hope that is for the itty bitty gymnast, my 8th grader would not be motivated by a rubber duck! Lol 

This weekend my gymnast had 5 girls in her age division, they gave medals to 1st-3rd on events & all of them for AA.

My oldest DD kept falling off the beam until a rubber ducky was awarded. The kid did everything to stay on the beam for a rubber ducky at that meet. Kids can be so funny! hey if that is motivation, then go for it!

In my state it tends to be top three events and AA get medals or trophies and the rest get ribbons to 10th place. Sometimes that is all of the girls. Small state :) When we travel to Utah or Vegas for larger meets it seems to be top 50% medals.

I like the idea of recognizing every gymnasts in the all around. It's not that "everyone's a winner". It's recognition that everyone has worked hard to get there. I think that's particularly important in the lower levels. In the events, I would prefer they go out 25% or at least the top 3 if it's a really small group. In general, the meets we go to go out to the top 50% and it takes so long to get through during awards.

Personally, I really prefer the medals/ribbons by score ranges idea for the lower levels. 9+ gold, 8+ silver, etc. I think this teaches the girls to strive for better routines, but not get caught up in exact scores/places.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back