USAIGC practice hours?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does anyone know how many hours USAIGC bronze level gymnasts train each week? My dd is currently training level 5 USAG and the time commitment is definitely a challenge for our family. USAIGC seems like it may be a better fit.

it varies from gym to gym in those gyms that do USAIGC.

I don't think there is a "standard" amount of time - each gym decides what hours work for their own programs.
Have you thought about maybe doing the Prep Op / Excell program? I know around here the hours at most of the gyms I know are about 1/2 that of the JO teams. I don't know what the USAIGC program is as there arent' any gyms I know of around here that follow that program.

Yes, it would vary gym to gym. Our gym does USAIGC, but the girls that do USAIGC meets do them in conjunction with USAG. If they do Prep-op, they typically only do Prep-Op. In other words, we don't have separate programs/practices for USAIGC. You would have to inquire with the gym you are looking at.

If you go to www.usaigc.com, then go to the rules & policies link you will see that the recommended training hours per week for Bronze is 5-6 hours. Now each gym can train what they want to, but at least you can see what the recommended is by the organization.

Our gym keeps usaigc and usag separate, you compete one or the other, not both. USAIGC trains less hours per week than USAG in our gym as well.

Our gym does USAG, IGC, and AAU - all of our competitive team gymnasts work out together and for the same number of hours regardless of which one or more they choose for competition. I will say that as my daughter is just finishing up a season of Bronze IGC, it seemed those gymnasts can get by with less time in the gym since routines can be customized to highlight what they do best as long as they meet the required elements for that level. Some of our girls with time commitment issues have worked it out with the coaches to cut an hour or so off of the scheduled practice times and have been very successful with IGC and AAU. I've only heard great things about both programs.

At our old gym, girls competed both USAG and USAIGC so the # hours for USAIGC was higher than recommended (see Granny Smith's link) but other gyms separate the teams.

I was in a league which was pretty much similar to USAIGC, and my team trained 5 hours a week. On the USAIGC website, it says 5-6 hours a week so that's about accurate.

We don't have USAIGC in our gym, but I have some friends who do IGC and belong in neighboring gyms. They have practices as follows: Bronze and Silver 7-9 hours a week, gold and platinum go up to 12 hours. The idea behind IGC is to allow the athlete more time to do other things. And as such, my understanding is there is a little more flexibility with practices.

The gym I used to be a part of had a USAIGC program and the bronze team practiced around 6 hours a week. Silver and gold team did 12 hours p/week. Definitely varies, but I'd say they are pretty typical for that league.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back