WAG vault: 1/2 on 1/2 off vs. 1/4 on 3/4 off? same thing?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

comingback

Gymnast
I’m sure this is obvious and/or has been asked many times but I can’t find anything that really clarifies in words that make sense to me. The vault I have been training is truly best described as a 1/4 on 3/4 off, I punch facing forwards, turn my body 90 degrees so my hands are pointing sideways on the table like I’m going into a tsuk, and then I twist the other 3/4 in the same direction the round off is going so that I land facing away from the table the same way I took off. Some of my teammates (naigc team from a bunch of different backgrounds) refer to this as a 1/2 on 1/2 off, and the version with another half twist off the table as as 1/2 on full off (where you’d be facing back towards the table on landing). when I look up 1/2 on 1/2 off on YouTube the top few videos are also the vault I am doing, which leads me to believe that is the name. However in my mind “1/2 on” implies your hands are on the table pointing back where the springboard is yurchenko style, and then you land facing away from the table, which is truly half and half. I told the judge at my last meet I was doing a “1/4 on 3/4 off” and she didn’t question it though.
What is the correct name for this vault? Is the one with another half twist off a “1/4 on 1 1/4 off”?

The name of the vault you do is still a 1/4 on 3/4 off, and an extra half twist is a 1/4 on 1 1/4 off. A 1/4 on and a 1/2 on are pretty much the same in difficulty. The only real difference is as you described it, the hands are turned more the 1/2 on than the 1.4 on.

My kid did the 1/2 on -> 1/2 off. She did a 180 twist to hit the handstand on the vault and then a 180 twist off so when she landed, she was facing the same direction as the run. In Xcel, the 1/2 on -> 1/2 off and the 1/4 on -> 3/4 off have the same start value. Not sure about the other programs.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back