Anon Wanting to switch gyms/programs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Anonymous (1eff)

I'm starting to consider wanting to switch gyms. Right now I'm an Xcel Platinum and what we'll call gym A. I practice 12.25 (4 days, 3h) hours a week and I compete 6-7 times a year. My first issue is how my coaches are handling my teammates sitting around during practice. I'll be doing my assignment, I always do my best to be working for as much of the rotation as I can, and trying not to sit around. However, the group that I am with (2+ year XG and XP), a lot of them tend to not want to do the assignment, and just talking and sitting around. My coaches have had multiple conversations with our group, and are saying that if the group keeps 'slacking' then there will be a meeting with our parents, and make them sit around during practice to "make us miserable". (they've told me that I'm not one of the girls 'slacking' but they would still make my parents come) This is obviously very upsetting to me, and I don't want my teammates actions to determine how my practices go. Another reason- A few of my coaches treat me/say things to me that I don't really like. For example, I've gotten hit in the head with french fry/speed bump multiple times (I've asked my coaches to stop doing that though, and so far they haven't done it since), I've been called names for having mental blocks, and even when I went for a pass that triggered my mental block, I still got called a not very nice name because I underrotated which made my coach think I got scared. Additionally, I have gotten yelled at for getting a drink of water during our 10 minute run. I struggled with sickness through the first few mont` of the school year and running endurance is a struggle for me (my coaches know that), and since I am the oldest on my team I am expected to act as a leader, which means leading warmups and running, but I believe that since my coaches know my struggle with running endurance, I should be allowed to maybe take a water break at some point during our run. I usually tend to only take one, rarely two. Also, my coaches are very reluctant to spot me, because they think that I can already do the skill. But I have severe anxiety and struggle with mental blocks, so that coaching style doesn't really help me. I guess what I'm getting at is that the coaching style that most of my coaches use does not really work for me.
If switching gyms were as easy as clicking a button, or showing up to practice at a new gym, I would definitely be on board, but unfortunately it is not that easy. First of all, competition season has already started, which means I am already registered for competitions with gym A. Which means my family has already put money towards this season, and it would be very difficult to get it back, and then having to buy a new leotard, pay for more meets and probably switch programs, it's just not logical. gym A is the only gym within 30 minutes of me that offers Xcel. There is one about 50 minutes away, but thats not ideal for my parents to drive me there and back for every practice. We do have direct family members who live near that gym but that doesn't do much for me. gym B is 15 minutes from my house, and offers USAG DP and NGA. I looked into NGA and it seems like a very intriguing option for me. Also, gymnasts from gym A who switch to gym B tend to be very successful, especially in NGA. of course, as with any gym, I would need to trial practice and get evaluated to see where I would fit in within their program, as well as if I like their coaching style, and if its even feasible for me and my family. Any advice on this situation?

Also, just to add on I also am currently coaching at gym A, so it would be a very tense situation to leave gym A especially because one of my coaches is also my boss

Many, if not most, gyms will not allow a new gymnast to start during meet season and even if you do find a gym that will take you mid-season you may not be able to compete with them if they are not able to add you as a competitor for meets. (You should be able to transfer your entry if they are doing the same meets that you are already signed up for but otherwise the meet may not have space to add you). Also, I think if you leave your current gym you need to be prepared to loose your job too. You mention some 'red flags' in terms of quasi-abusive behaviors but it also sounds like they mostly stop when you advocate for yourself which is good. You might thrive in an overall more positive environment but I'd be cautious leaving mid-season.

If you decide to leave after the competition season, you may find that it is easier to ignore your coaches’ BS and to advocate for yourself. Knowing that the situation is temporary may make it easier to let stuff roll off your back. If your parents get called in to a meeting about other gymnasts messing around, who cares, you’ll be gone in the spring. If the coach says something rude to you, you can look at them and say “Excuse me, Are you trying to be helpful or hurtful right now?” Call them on it! what are they going to do, kick you out? They probably won’t and if they do it’ll be okay because you are leaving any way. Have fun with that!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back