Parents Warm ups

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flip4funmom

Proud Parent
Are warm ups really needed? My sons t&t coach said they were crazy expensive (around $200) so he was considering not getting them. I don't want my sons team to be "odd man out" but that's a crazy price. Should we be ordering somewhere else? Just let it go? I don't want to be pushy but I want to help out if I can.

We have had teams that had no warm ups, modified warm ups, and full warm ups (even including shoes!). I don't think they really matter but some people are really attached to the polished team look. Maybe talk to the coach about getting just simple matching jackets if it's important to the parents/athletes on the team. They can wear any plain black pants. Then they'll all match for cheaper.

Are they necessary? I'm sure not.

And for most teams they are part of the team uniform. They are required.

Some gyms have more expensive gym clothing then others. But not usually optional.

We have had no warm ups and had the girls asking why the other teams had warm ups at meets and they didn't. Then we had all black, your choice yoga pant and zip top and that was just a mess. Now we have team warm ups and they look and feel great. Sometimes it's important to the girls (your case boys!). They certainly don't need to be the most pricey choice. How would your child feel if they were the only one without. What about just buying jackets then getting the pants pants from a big box store? Also it is a sport....most sports require uniforms.

Not necessary but can be acquired for a lot less than $200. Check out GTM. You can choose many stock colors, add a logo is some sort to the back of the jacket and the set (pants and jacket) will still be less than or around $100.

For our gym, they're not officially required, but I don't know of a single kid that doesn't have one.

At meets, I've never noticed a team NOT have them. But then, my DD often doesn't put hers on for awards, etc, so it's possible it may not be noticed.

Some teams do have different uniforms for their entry level teams - maybe matching sweatshirts or shirts. That may be an option for you, too.

Reactions: sce
OG's first year on team, they had actual sweats as their warm ups...
The $50 set included:
1 pair sweatpants with small logo on one leg - required for the gymmie
1 hoodie with the logo on the front - required for the gymmie
1 short sleeve t-shirt - could be bought for a family member (we got it for YG)
1 long sleeve t-shirt - could be bought for a family member (got it for my brother... I made him pay $10, lol)

I really liked them, but a couple of the moms complained about hair getting messed up, so we switched to actual warm ups the next season.
With boys, it could be a GREAT option.

You definitely don't need to spend that kind of money. Also, warmups can be used for several years. DDs jacket has lasted 3 years and definitely has a few more years to go! Leggings have to be replaced as she grows out of them, but it's not a big deal.

You definitely don't need to spend that kind of money. Also, warmups can be used for several years. DDs jacket has lasted 3 years and definitely has a few more years to go! Leggings have to be replaced as she grows out of them, but it's not a big deal.
Very true about the jackets. My girls first one lasted 3 seasons. This one, we are going on 3 and unless she has an uber growth spurt we will get 4.

Pants have to fit well though as it can be a safety issue. Be even at that we have always gotten 2 years.

Probably not going to happen for you this year, but our gym does a great job of offering discounted hand-me-down warm ups and leos. We keep the same ones for three years and when the older/bigger girls outgrow theirs, they can offer to a younger teammate who doesn't want to pay full price. Same with competition leos. So I bought my DD's leo from a friend last year. Instead of 195, it was 95. Really worth it. And I sold her old competition warm up and got some money back.

Are warm ups really needed? My sons t&t coach said they were crazy expensive (around $200) so he was considering not getting them. I don't want my sons team to be "odd man out" but that's a crazy price. Should we be ordering somewhere else? Just let it go? I don't want to be pushy but I want to help out if I can.
You could offer to shop around for the coach! As others have said, they would likely be the "odd team out" with no warmups, but definitely don't need to be spending $200 either. $75-$100 totally doable.

Thanks for all the advice, I had a few ideas i wanted to run by you guys before speaking with coach again. I was thinking of ordering a type of 'track pants' then getting a specific shirt made just for T&T. Something specific to them the ones they have now just say "gym name then gymnastics". We could maybe even get there Nick names printed on the back. It doesn't really get cold enough here for jackets anyway. Thaoughts?

Thanks for all the advice, I had a few ideas i wanted to run by you guys before speaking with coach again. I was thinking of ordering a type of 'track pants' then getting a specific shirt made just for T&T. Something specific to them the ones they have now just say "gym name then gymnastics". We could maybe even get there Nick names printed on the back. It doesn't really get cold enough here for jackets anyway. Thaoughts?
The cool thing is you have a say. And there really are no hard and fast rules.

Our jackets have the gym name on the back, gymmies name on front. Our Tshirts typically have gym name on the front, last names on the back, much like a typical sport (meaning football/baseball) thing.

Just a thought a golf/polo shirt, might be a little sharper look and cost effective.

my gymmie is getting new warm ups. i think they are $215 for jacket and leggings. the capri leggings are $45 this year vs. $15. we do them through GK.

my dancer gets her dance jacket through GTM. the quality is still very nice and much less expensive. her dance teacher had someone go on and set up a company (team) link through them and designed the company jacket. i think it was $50 or $60. she's on her 2nd one - bought new last year - and this one should last her through the end of her dance career.

Not sure T-shirts would work-every T and T meet we have been to have required full warm ups or completion attire for everything, including march-in and awards. But with that being said, competition attire is always acceptable, so warm ups are not necessary.

Not sure T-shirts would work-every T and T meet we have been to have required full warm ups or completion attire for everything, including march-in and awards. But with that being said, competition attire is always acceptable, so warm ups are not necessary.

We went through the entire t&t season last year without actual team warm ups- finally got them for states (ha!). Everyone was mismatched before then and it was no problem at all. One of my ODDs old artistic gyms had gym long sleeve shirts and pants as their warm up.. it worked ok. I guess it's all about what's important to the gym- coaches, owners, athletes, and parents.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back