MAG We are kind of going backwards . . . . .

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
Please reassure me before I become "that mom". It seems like ds is not getting any better the last month or so. It seems like he is losing skills. I watch every single practice and before I was seeing a lot of improvement and lately it hasn't been much if any. It doesn't help that we had a big meet today and his scores were lower than his meet in November. I am really trying not to be "that mom". Should I say something to the coach or is this normal? Do skills in boys' gymnastics go up and down? Has he just hit a tough spot? Do I need to be encouraging more conditioning at home? Would that help?

do they ever! Yes, skills come...and skills go! I wouldn't really say anything-it might just discourage him. Try to talk about non gymnastics things and let him and his coach handle it. Everyone has an off day-or week- for that matter. He needs to focus on long term goals, not getting a skill in a day. I've seen kids do skills a hundred times...then all of a sudden it's gone. Only to return at a later time once they work through whatever issue it was that caused them to lose it in the first place. Maybe he's had a growth spurt? Or isn't feeling well? could be anything really. Good luck to him! I'm sure his skills will return.

I was thinking grown spurt. Just reassure him. Before my son goes to meets, he sets small goals for himself. Maybe that would help?

With both my gymmies skills come and go - always have and no doubt always will. Their coaches say this is normal, happens for lots of reasons, growth, tiredness etc.

I wouldn't mention anything to either the coach or your son.

Stop watching every practice :)

It is so normal for them to lose/gain skills, advance quickly, stop progressing, be the best in the peer group, then be overtaken and be struggling to keep up, then gain all the skills in a week and be back up to the top again. It can be a fear issue, growth, million and one things holding them back temporarily.

The best way to stop getting stressed out over it all is to stop watching. It's like dieting, if you weigh yourself every five minutes you gain, lose, lose, gain, gain, and have no idea what your actual weight is. If you watch every now and again, and at meets etc, you'll get a much better idea of overall progress and stop noticing the tiny things.

^^^^ I agree with Faith, don't watch every practice - honestly it will do your head in! Not sure how old your son is, but if you really must be in the gym take a very interesting book to read and really try not to watch :)

I agree with the others - don't watch practice. Also, it is completely normal to lose skills on and off. Both my kids have done this either due to fear, growth, or just not working on certain skills for a while. The skills always come back bigger and better. Good luck to your DS!!!

I have two gymnasts and for me, watching practice once in a while to be supportive has been good but watching every practice ends up stressing us both out. UP and downs are inevitable and important for their own personal growth. Don't sweat it. Instead of staying for each practice, try dropping off and using that as "me" time-it is working wonders for most busy parents I know (me included).

Update - - -

In the last two weeks ds has taken off on some skills again. He seems even more driven and more focused than usual. He's been diligent about conditioning at home and the coach has noticed. He is working harder than ever and seeing results! So thanks for keeping me sane!

That is so good to hear! I think they do tend to go through spells like that :) Here's hoping he keeps goign!

I agree with not watching practice. In gymnastics is hard with a lot of one step forward one step back moments. It's better for my blood pressure not to watch my kids get frustrated. With boys in particular, growth spurts set them back until they can adjust and catch their strength up.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back