WAG Weekend Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The whole competitive gymnastics experience is relatively new for us so this may be a strange question… DD is 9 YO, training level 5. She is a very active kid, always has been.

I started noticing recently that she completely lost interest in any activity during the weekend (including meeting her friends from school…). On one hand – I can relate to it, she needs some time for herself and I completely understand. On the other hand, I want to make sure she maintains some form of social life, not to mention maintaining the ability to actually plan and do something, as a family during the weekend..

So – experience parents/gymnasts – I am basically asking – is this a phase? Did you experience something similar?

My advice to you - enjoy the down time now while you have it and keep stressing the fun side of this crazy sport. In those early days, the weekends were for rest and recovery and homework.

By the time my dd was training level 6 she had no real life outside of gym. For sure by the time she joined the optional team there was nothing other than gym. She is a level 9 and trains 6 days a week, about 4 hours a day.

This sport takes a comittment from the family; it can be frustrating when you see opportunities go by the wayside in favor of gym. But, if the sport is her passion you support it and keep moving forward. The costs on all fronts (time and dollars) goes up the further down the road you get. Be prepared.

Good Luck.

I was like this for a loooong time, infact, I still find myself doing that sometimes. But now that I'm older I am better about doing something I feel like I don't want to/am not interested in because from experience I end up enjoying myself:) so she'll hopefully grow out of it with time.

My 9 yr old Level 5 is exactly like that! She spends so much energy between, gymnastics, dance and school work 5 days a week, that the low key weekend refreshes her and keeps her on her game.

That's exactly what I do. I have practice from 2 till 8:30 so by the time I get home it's 9:30(yes the train takes an hour!) then I have homework and all that stuff before school.
Honestly on Sundays all I do is have 'me' time- catch up on homework, have a nice long bath, go shopping with a friend maybe if I can be bothered but mostly just watch t.v. and chill.
When I have 2 days off sometimes then I meet up because I get bored without gym for that long.
I'm sure your daughter is the same- although younger she still needs the time to relax and chill.
Good luck:)

Yup, when my daughter was that age, she would just want to relax and chill during her downtime--she wasn't interested in having playdates or anything. It passed. She's now 15 and is always scheduling something after practice on Saturday!

My daughter is 13 Level 8. She mostly likes to hang at home on Sat after practice though might also plan to hang with the same girls she just practiced with for 4 hours after practice, lol!

Mostly, though, she comes home from practice, showers and watches TV!

Sundays she'll do HW and watch TV!

Occasionally, she will plan something with school friends but mostly not!

Weekends are down time and they need it!

As long as your daughter is happy at school, I wouldn't worry! My daughter loves school and her friends when she is there so that's good. But they do stuff when she is at practice so I think the group at practice becomes her tight group.

If you are worried, I'd check with her teacher to be sure she is happy and engaged with kids at school. As long as she is, all's good.

I don't think it is unusual - my DD is much like that. She will occasionally do something with friends on Sunday or other day off. But, the week is so busy with school, homework, and practice, and Saturday practice takes half the day, that her "free" time she uses to watch TV, hang out with her brother (they are only 2 years apart) or, believe it or not...text her friends!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back