WAG What are the typical L6/7 beam skills?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
So I am in unchartered waters, and have no clue what DD needs for L6 or 7 on beam. I think this will be the hardest one for DD because of fear.
Can she do a BWO- BT dismount? I see most people doing CW-BT... Are there any unusual things that are allowed? What does she need? Where can I find what category skills are in?
I'm sorry if this is a broad question.....

L7 requires an acro series and flight skill (can be in series but not required). I don't think L6 requires a series, but I am not sure. You will see a wide range of skills depending on your area and your gym. For the series you may commonly see anything from, CW-CW, CW-RO, BWO-BWO, BWO-BHS, BHS-BHS. You could also see FHS or FWO less commonly. You may see RO or BHS for flight skills. Dismounts will vary from FT, BT, RO-BT, CW-BT most commonly.
You are not allowed C acro skills, so no BT or LO.

DD is L6. Most of the girls do a BHS for their flight skill, but a few do a RO or CW (although I don't know if the CW counts?). For dismounts, most do a CW-BT or FT. One does a BWO-BT. A series isn't required at L6 but is at L7 (or so DD tells me.) I'm not sure about the differences in jumps/leaps/turns between L6 and L7.

You can do a switch leap at 7 but not at 6. My DD does a gainer dismount off the side of the beam so that's an option too.

Level 7 requires 2 B skills so that is where it makes it a little harder. A split jump to 180 degrees is a B skill but if the gymmie doesn't hit 180, then they don't get credit for the B skill. So being smart about that kind of stuff is important.

And, there is a only the flight requirement in level 7, not 6, hence the reason you almost always see a BHS (or could RO) in 7. In 6, it is just the acro requirement and most girls do BWO and some CW.

Last point, in 7 since a series is required, most girls try to do BWO-BHS - gets the series out of the way, the acro and the flight requirement. Some do BWO- BWO and do BHS separately. But that can be problematic if you miss the 2nd BWO, because now you have to do it again to get credit for the series and I *believe* you are not allowed to do the same skill 3x in a routine. Hope that makes sense. I do find it confusing at times!;)

At level 6, DD did a BWO and a cartwheel (separately) and a front tuck as a dismount- no series needed. This year at level 7, she does a BSO and BWO/BWO as her series. Still does front tuck as dismount because she struggled with the BSO/BT before the season started and her coach wanted her routine as clean as possible.

DD scored high 9s in L7 with BWO-BHS and BHS-BHS, and a simple clean FT dismount - along with actually 2 B leaps. (BHS-BHS until she got hit with vestibular issues, then scared, then dropped to BWO-BHS). You can actually do the BWO-BHS at L8 and if you have enough other Bs and a few other harder things still score great (if the routine otherwise stayed basic you'd be hit with below competition deductions - but DD was going to do a BT also...we'll see if she ever gets back up there in competition...)

DDs head coach does have one point that I really like - getting kids (even in L6 if possible) doing a connected series - ANY almost - and used to it - as the connection is critical for later beam skills and something many girls find difficult. HC will let kids do easier skills connected for training and progression purposes, rather than their harder skills and have them take the missed connection deduction - which is why DD down graded her series - as she NEVER fell on beam - just sometimes got "lost" and stopped between BHSs. Makes sense to me - that keeping moving on that tiny piece of wood would be harder than doing a couple hard things with a pause in between....

I know the series isn't required in L6 - and I also have seen that many gyms move kids to L6 rather than doing much time in L5 (opposite of the 2 gyms my DD has been at - one skipped L6 completely, and the new one uses it for kids who were successful at L5 but can't giant). I guess I'm just impressed with the idea of thinking about long term beam progression - I would assume the only kids doing cartwheel at L6 are kids who are much stronger on other events but struggle with beam? (as they would have had to at least score out with a BWO in L5 - and I realize score out can mean a very low score so may not have been able to do the skill well). (or, of course, kids like DD who have hit issues as they age and lost more progressive skills...)

I do think L6 is a nice addition - would have "slowed" DD down and perhaps built up her confidence and allowed more time to uptrain had it been in place when she hit optionals.

Great! Thanks!
Dd is training optionals......she has BWO-BWO connected. CW-BT, and FT dismount. She has a good leap, but not to 180. She is working on FWO, and can do a FWO thing, where she does not finish, she just stops in bridge, and then kicks back over....they were working Handstand holds half turns. She is working BHS a, but she hates them and can't imagine doing them on the high beam...I guess she is on track, thanks!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back