Parents What did your children achieve this year in the Gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jaks

Proud Parent
What did your children achieve in the gym this year?

It would be nice to hear if your children achieve in the gym this year, did they get a skill they were after, did they win any medals at meet, did they move to pre-team or team?

My dd is still in rec classes for Trampolining, Gymnatics and Cheeleading. This year she achieved:

Greater flexibility - she has her front splits about 99% and box splits 90%.

in the first 6 months she got badge 6 & 5 for Gymnastics, badge 2,3,4 & 5 for cheerleading. In July she got badge 4 in gymnastics.

over the last 2 weeks she got:

trampolining badge 1
Gymnastics badge 3
cheerleading badge. 6, bronze badge , silver badge and Gold badge & 2 medals.

my dd finiashes gym and cheekeading on Saturday for Christmas for just over 1 week.

My dd 's goals next year is to achieve her gymnastics badge 2 and 1 before moving to the advanced badges (bronze, silver and gold)

I am unsure as to what she will be doing in cheerleading as she has finished the badges.

My 6 year old pre-teamer achieved a handstand forward roll, headstand, super awesome splits, bridge kickover, and learned to "auto-point" her toes when her feet leave the floor. She's got these cute little arm and back muscles now, from all the rope climbing I guess. And she has found a gym and a coach that she loves and is very comfortable with, opening up and talking to people there, which is big for an Asperger's child.

Skill wise my 6 year old dd (turned 6 in October) achieved or improved:

Straight leg bridge
Bridge kickover on a cheese wedge
Front splits
Headstand with bend legs
Semi decent cartwheel - jut got to kick high and improve landing - also working on opposite leg cartwheel
Attempt at a round off -needs more power
Improved flexibility
Improved Strength
Kick up to a handstand off the tumble track and flip forward into the pit.
Backwards roll on soft surface.

How big is your 6 year old dd? Mine is around 105 cm tall and weighs 2 stone

I know what you mean about developing muscles, my dd had a photo taken in an arms up ballet pose and you can see her up arm muscles, also when she swinging on the bar you can see the muscles at the top of her back nearer shoulder blade, I noticed this at the gym Christmas party where they could do what they wanted like a play session.

My dd has been going to Rec Gym and Rec Cheerleading for a year and trampolining for 5 weeks.

Great thread.

Oldest dd: Comeback after 4 years out of the gym. Got a 34.15 at her first meet back, personal bests for vault, bars and AA.

Youngest dd: She's 8, just started gym in August. Bars: Back hip circle, squat on, single leg shoot through, pullover. Floor, back limber, kickover, splits all the way down (ouch), fhs, bhs on cheese, handstand forward roll, handstand bridge kickover. Vault: level 4 vault. Beam, handstand and cartwheel on low beam.

My son (7) got back handspring on tramp and wedge mat. My girl (4) has lots under her sleeve thanks to this year: all 3 splits, backbend, kickover, backbend standup, back walkover, pullover, roundoff of the beam, handstand off the beam, one arm cartwheel.

Very appropriate for this time of year! Love it!

Beam: cartwheel, BWO, training BHS
Vault: made it over table without spot
Bars: cast to handstand, giants on strap, baby giants, spotted flyaways
Floor: punch front, FHSFHS, ROBHSBT, ROBHSBLO, improved her artistry some (still long way to go)

She has also been a better teammate, has gotten better about waiting her turn in line, doesn't bounce around so much, more focused, more goal oriented rather than score oriented.

Beam: BWO, FWO, BHS, BHS step out, back layout step out, front tuck dismount
Bars: Cast to handstand, giants (free hip is oddly not worked on much)
Floor: back tuck, back layout, FHS-FT
Vault: half on/half off (??)

I'm sure she'd rattle off a number of things; these are the ones I've seen or have heard about.

It amazes me when I look back. So proud of my daughter and my son. She started gymnastics a year and a half ago and he started a few weeks ago. A year and a half ago she couldn't do a cartwheel or a handstand!

DD (8)

Moved on to development programme and then in to squad In spring
Floor: ro flic (bhs) then very quickly ro flic flic. Front somi. FHS to one and FHS to two. Oversplits both legs. Nice split leap/jump. Straddle press to handstand. Split handstand change leg. Much better control over dance steps.
Beam: BWO, starting flics, tuck back dismount. Straddle press mount and pike press mount, split leap, lots of lovely dance steps.
Vault: From handstand flatback to FHS over the table.
Bars: Baby giants, three quarter giants, upstart/kip, much higher cast on BHC, cast to handstand, spotted backaway.

DS (5)
Much more focus.
Cartwheel - yey. Headstand. Straight jump up on to a block and off again. Very nearly a chin up.

So proud!!

What a great thread!

2012 has been an amazing year for DD. Here are the big skills she's picked up since last January.

Vault: much stronger FHS vault, Yurchenko timer, Yurchenko using mini-tramp into the pit
Bars: finally, consistent straight-arm kips!!, straddle cast handstand, much stronger free hip, giants
Beam: BWO-BWO, BHS, Cartwheel-BT dismount
Floor: back layout, FHS-FT, full on tramp, decent sissone and some more good jump/leaps

Generally, just a lot cleaner, more powerful looking, and a heck of a lot more confident.

DS moved from L4 to L5. In the process, he also has picked up a ton of new things.

Floor: BHS, FHS, scale
Pommel/mushroom: finally, good circles! (for you WAG types, mushroom circles are as bad as kips for boys), spindle, can do a few loops on the horse
Rings: muscle up, back lever (no hold yet), flyaway, inlocate, dislocate (not working on either of those now)
Vault: non-wonky straight jump vault, L5 boys' vault
Parallel bars: handstand! and just last week, front uprise! great V seat
High bar: very inconsistent kip, good front hip, mixed grip turn with legs together

And just generally, much stronger, cleaner swinging skills.

Looking back, it's unbelievable how much they and all of their teammates have learned. Every single girl in DD's group got her giants and moved up to L7, and all of DS's teammates moved up to L5 after only one year at L4.

In the past year my DD...
Had her first full year at a private gym (left the YMCA gym in September of 2011), with the increase in intensity and hours that go with that.
Was PA state beam champ at level 6 :)
Started optionals (YMCA gym competed level 3, and she repeated it, so that makes 5 years of compulsary meets... I'm not sure who is more excited about optionals, her or me!)
Went through a huge growth spurt (growing in more ways than just up) and really struggled with some skills and fears, to the point where it was literally making her sick, but has come out on the other side of it (for now... lots more growing left to do) with continued determination and enthusiasm for the sport, when I think a lot of people would have quit. Lord knows there were times when I almost wished she would.
Now does a BHS on high beam as if she was born doing them and not as if 6 weeks ago she was still standing up there, frozen with fear.

I'm a proud mama!

2012 has been probably the most meaningful year for DD so far:
- first all around gold for her - L4, April
- first big skills - kip, tucks, "real" vault (over the table) - she even did her first giant on bars all by herself with no straps or spot - she is really looking like a gymnast now, and wowing all the non-gymnast friends and family with her videos
- first L5 competition last month she was 2nd AA, gold on bars - she has never done that well in a new level so early on

Great thread!

My DD Alex has become a much more confident gymnast than she ever was last year! She has more determination than ever. In the past 6 months she has overcome quite a few of her biggest fears!

She can now confidently do a BWO on beam! For her this is HUGE! She is working on the BHS.

On bars she finally overcame her fear of giants. Now she is working on clear hip handstand giant giant flyaway on the high bar. She has done it a few times by herself but is not consistant yet!

Her vault looks totally different than last year! And her scores prove it! She was scoring low 8's all last season but this year is scoring in then 9's consistently.

On floor she is working on her half and full!

My DS (level 5)

He has his ROBHS very consistent now!
But to be honest I don't know alot about the boys skills
He is working on a bail moy something something! Here is a video

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=427115154011397&set=vb.427095457346700&type=2&theater

However, he has not conquered the mushroom beast yet! But its coming soon!

My Dd moved from L8 to L9 this year and IMO this has been the biggest challenge since she started gymnastics. I never realized just how hard L9 was going to be. She has done an incrediable job getting the skills and so far (after one meet) is off to an awesome start to the season.

The one thing about this year that stands out in my mind is how she handled her injury. She took a very bad and scary fall doing a pirouette/overshoot hs. She missed both hands, landed on her head and neck and broke 4 bones in her hand. After getting the cast off she got right back up and there and took back that skill. A year ago a fall like that would have set her back months. I was so proud of how she didn't let that fall and her fear over power her.

Great thread, was thinking about starting this myself. Skill wise this time last year DD was a level 4 and now she is level 7, so huge jump in skills. I won't name all of them, but it's been a great/very fast year for her.

I have been so proud of her and amazed at so many other things that aren't skills at all. Her maturity has jumped considerably. She has learned how to work more independently. She has dealt with everything that comes with learning so many hard skills quickly. I'd say it's been a fantastic year and I can't wait to see what 2013 brings.

Dd grows every year but this seems to have been a really big one for her.
She has successfully moved from the xcel program to L7 (first meet was a great success )
Layout; full; front tuck series on floor
Cast hs/freehip hs/giants series all on highbar
Double back from bar (in pit)
Close to pirourette on bar
Beam: Front Ariel dismount, cw/btw dismount, bwo/bhs series; working bhs/bhs on low beam

But I'm most impressed with her increased confidence. It was so obvious in her first meet of the season. It was a huge meet. We weren't sure how she would do from xcel to L7 scoring but she appeared so calm, handled her minor errors with confidence. And she is smiling when competing again! Proud mama here.

my dd is 'older'
she has had a decent year
her proudest moment was being given the award at xmas show of the club's 'outstanding gymnast' of the year!

My DD, L6, got FHS-FT on floor, back LO on floor and a full on tumble trak, cast-handstand on bars and just started working giants, BWO-BWO and BHS on beam, and working cartwheel-BT dismount.

My DS, L4, who just started gym a few months ago, has gained a lot of confidence. He recently got his ROBHS on floor, chin up/pull-over on high bar, and has a great rings routine. Needs a lot of work on mushroom/pommel! But he's gaining more and more confidence by the day :)

My Dd moved from L8 to L9 this year and IMO this has been the biggest challenge since she started gymnastics. I never realized just how hard L9 was going to be. She has done an incrediable job getting the skills and so far (after one meet) is off to an awesome start to the season.

The one thing about this year that stands out in my mind is how she handled her injury. She took a very bad and scary fall doing a pirouette/overshoot hs. She missed both hands, landed on her head and neck and broke 4 bones in her hand. After getting the cast off she got right back up and there and took back that skill. A year ago a fall like that would have set her back months. I was so proud of how she didn't let that fall and her fear over power her.

How scary!!! And how incredibly awesome that she was so brave!! I don't blame you for being proud of that kid!

My dd has come a long way as well.

Trampoline: 5th place Ontario Provincial Championships
Double-Mini: Provincial Bronze medalist
Tumbling: Provincial Silver medalist, 6th place Eastern Canadian Championships

She learned a ton of new skills in tramp and DMT, I don't know what many of them are called. This year all the level system has changed, so she will compete a similar level as last year, but they added harder compulsory skills to those levels if that makes sense.

In Artistic we have also come a long way. In September she started at a new school that allows her to go 1/2 day and train in the afternoons. She trains with the older National level girls and we have seen a HUGE improvement in her behaviour and attitude especially.

She has gone through several "levels" of skill development.

Bars: does 3 giants to a flyaway on the pit bar and "almost" has it on the regular bar, free hip to handstand on strap bar.

Beam: 2 back handsprings connected, front walkover (such a hard skill for my dd who has no back/shoulder flexibility), switch split, back tuck on medium beam, almost has the round off back tuck dismount.

Vault: Well she does the CPN vaults to the stacked up mats but does them really well! I'm not sure what else she works on, lol.

Floor: She learned the back layout and the layout 1/2 turn, blind change bar prep(??not sure I just heard about this the other day), front handspring front tuck, added a whip to her back tuck pass, and got her switch spilt to oversplits.

We are looking forward to seeing how this competitive season goes. It will be her first "real" competitive season where she is scored and ranked against others. All I want is for her to be happy with her own routines.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back