WAG What exactly is excel and is it right for me?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I started gymnastics in mid August of 2012. I am currently a level 4..I don't compete but I definitely want to soon, after I clean up a few things.
My coach, out of the blue, asked me what I want to do with gymnastics. I told her I wanted to compete and get as good as I can. She also asked me of I wanted to compete in the regular levels or do excel.
-I am fourteen so I started late and I'm not sure I want to be with 9 year olds in competitions
-I really want to compete
-I love gymnastics a LOT
-I want to eventually coach
-I work hard in and out of practice
The main reason I considered excel is because there would be kids more my age in it and it'd be less money....considering my family doesn't have a whole bunch of money to throw around. But at the same time I really want to improve quickly.
So.. What is excel exactly, what are your thoughts on it, and do you think I should do it (based on the info)?:confused:

Someone else can probably explain it better, but xcel is sort of like a less advanced version of the JO program, or the "regular levels." Generally, it is less hours, less commitment, less money. Instead of performing compulsory routines, you get to have your own routines, music, etc, with certain requirements of course. I think it would be a good program for you, you still get to compete but like you said, it would be more affordable and manageable.

Excel is part of the USAG JO program and a little different in each state/region. In all programs the routines are optional- so you get to create your own routines around your strengths (you have to meet certain requirements in each level) instead of doing the same routine as everyone else as you would in the compulsory program. So mainly, it has more flexibility and allows for more creativity.
The levels can be compared to the "regular" USAG levels in terms of skills allowed, at least in really general terms, and I'm sure another poster can help with that. Excel has grown a lot nationwide in the last few years and I've heard great things about it and lots of different reasons for girls choosing to do it, but it could be a good fit for you. That being said, I wouldn't let your age dissuade you from competing level 4 if that's what you really want to do. I'm sure you have seen the level 4 routines in the gym so know what to compare excel to.
It sounds like you are doing great in the gym and have picked up skills pretty quickly, good luck picking the right program for you- Chalkbucket is a great place to get all kinds of information!

I think Excel will be a great choice for you, because it is an optional program you'll be able to progress as far as you can on whatever events you can without being held back by certain skills on other events.

I would check around at different gyms too, if you're not happy with how your current gym handles Xcel. There is a wide range around here of how much work/hours is put into Xcel and how much attention the gym gives it. Some practice as little as 5 hours a week, and some as many as 12 (with everything in between). If you want to "learn fast" as you say, more hours will be better (but will also cost more money!). Good luck!

My daughter does Xcel Bronze, which in her case is equivalent to about a JO level 2 or 3. She practices twice a week for a total of 5.5 hours, and the cost at our gym is proportional to other Xcel levels and the JO levels, based on the number of hours she is in the gym. I know the place we are in mostly uses Xcel Bronze as the beginner level of competition, and my daughter is expected to have the opportunity to move to the JO program for next year long as her skills are at the right level. I would call around to the gyms in your area and ask about their Xcel program. Ask about the ages of the girls on their Xcel team, if that's a concern for you, and ask about the progression between Xcel levels. Good luck!

Goodness knows I am not a coach ... but given your age, since L4 (new L3) is not a required level, you might talk to your coach about using Xcel to continue to uptrain the 5 skills and then decide whether to move from Xcel into L5 (new L4) or score out of L5 (new L4).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back