What is the Xcel Program?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am in Xcel and I love it. We still call it Prep-Op, but it's the same thing. What I love about it personally is that it still allows me to make up my routines, improve steadily (though slowly) and still compete in the sport without having to make a huge time commitment. It's great for older girls (I'm almost 15) who don't want to compete with the younger kids or girls who have injury or medical-related skill limitations. Our gym offers the program only to girls who are at a 4-6 skill level range, and have either skill limitations for medical reasons or just don't have the time to train level 5 or 6. For example, we have a 17 year old girl at a level 6 skill level who teaches classes at the gym, is very involved in school activities, and also has a back injury that limits her skill range. Xcel is perfect for this kind of gymnast because she is able to practice for a few hours a week only, and choose skills that won't aggravate her injury. So I don't really think that it pulls girls away from the JO program if it is only offered to those in specific circumstances. As for meshing it with the current team program, our Xcel girls (there are roughly 8 of us) practice whenever we can (there are no specific times we have to be there) with the level 7 and 8 team. The coaches just modify the workouts for us and it works just fine. The optionals practice every night from 5:30 to 8:30, and we pretty much just come and go whenever we can. I don't love this arrangement personally, but it works.

Thanks, ValleyTwister - great insight from a gymnasts prospective! I'm not sure what levels we will be offering the class to at this point but it could be anywhere from a 3+ (ready to be a 4 all the way up to 7 - which at this time is the highest level our gym offers). I really want to make these girls feel like part of the team so I plan to include them in everything the other girls do - hopefully we can get them excited and ready to compete in a year!

Thanks again!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back