WAG What is this Bar Skill/Drill?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

Ex member

My youngest dd is 4 sessions into her development class, on bars they usually do pullovers into front support and then cast a few times before doing a forward roll over the bar (dd can now do a chin up with a light spot and can now go backwards other the bar to front support without help).

During dd's last session they also had a wedge block against a small single bar and they had to jump to straddle on bars before falling backwards onto the wedge mat whilst holding onto the bar with feet on bars in a straddle. Is this a skill or drill for something?

That drill is for many things.
1. Get used to leaning over the bar to get the feet on (when done properly)
2. Toe on dismounts
3. Stalders
Just to name a few.

both skill and drill. leads to many other drills and skills. to many to name. :)

Yes it's a useful drill for lots of things I can think of, but the first thing she will encounter in the UK comp system is probably the straddle undershoot. She will cast away nice and high and bring her toes to the bar in straddle and then swing under the bar, with her toes still on it, let go just as she hits a glide position or starts the swing up the other side, bring her legs together to make a straight body shape, arc through the air and land on two feet. It's one of the first dismounts they learn.

So the drill will help with the feeling off jumping up to straddle and starting the swing down.

It will help with other things but that's the obvious first skill I think you will recognise emerging from that drill.

in the UK at her level and age it is for straddle shoot dismount. It is used as a dismount in nearly all the lower levels of competition in the UK.

Yes it's a useful drill for lots of things I can think of, but the first thing she will encounter in the UK comp system is probably the straddle undershoot. She will cast away nice and high and bring her toes to the bar in straddle and then swing under the bar, with her toes still on it, let go just as she hits a glide position or starts the swing up the other side, bring her legs together to make a straight body shape, arc through the air and land on two feet. It's one of the first dismounts they learn.

So the drill will help with the feeling off jumping up to straddle and starting the swing down.

It will help with other things but that's the obvious first skill I think you will recognise emerging from that drill.

That fits in with what she is has been doing, a pullover into front support and cast, at the moment she is casting up to just above horizontal with support for shaping before coming down to a forward roll, this straddle thing was worked on a separate bar as a side station while they were waiting to work with the coach on the above, I guess what I have seen and from what dd has told me that this might be a routine of sorts that is being put together ( I might be wrong), dd also told me a little bit about what she is doing on beam - jump to front support and lift herself over the beam in a straddle to a straddle lever before sitting on the beam.

The basic two bar routine - you will be sick of it in years to come -

Circle up (or upstart later), Cast, back Hip Circle, cast, Squat on, catch high bar, Circle up (later baby giant), cast straddle undershoot.

:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back