WAG What percentage of your higher level gymnasts....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Have major injuries from overuse that will keep them out of doing gymnastics for 3-6 months. For example, fractures in their back. I am pretty much interested at level 8-10 kids. And if you could please notate approximate age of these kids.

Thanks!

We have a fairly small optional team in comparison to some, and a large team compared to others, lol...I would say we are in the middle in terms of numbers. We have had four girls with those types of injuries. Two healed, one quit, and one is trying to hang on, but the injury is just being a horrible thorn in the side...my dd says it is very sad watching her struggle, because she so badly wants to be out there and comes for conditioning....she is 11 (the girl, not my dd). :(

We have 13 girls in levels 8-10, ages range from 10-18. Almost all of our girls have had injuries that have kept them out here and there...

My dd, 12 yrs old, lv 8, was out a total of 12 weeks last year for various small injuries

12 year old, lv 9, has been out since April with back issues (she's come back here and there to try to work out)

12 year old, lv 9, has been out 6 weeks with back issues, was out 6 weeks at the beginning of last season with broken thumb

15 year old, lv 9, out 6 weeks with knee injury

13 year old, lv 9, out 12 weeks with broken toe that required surgery.

I think it happens...unfortunately. High level optionals means higher chance of injuries.

I hope I addressed your question.

Oops forgot to give the exact numbers. Um...thinking. Think there are 18 total, but dd is unavailable at present to hit up, so I am counting aloud. I keep getting 18, with 4 with injuries; was 19 before one quit.

12YO L9: sever's but doesn't limit training much

14YO L9: back problems limited her for about 8 weeks; osgood schlatter in knee but can train through the pain

16YO L9: back problems; severe shin splints

16YO L8: constant knee pain that frequently interferes with training.

13 & 16YO L8: no issues

We have 4 L8. One has missed time off and on due to injuries (usually her knee). Missed 2 months of competition last season, came back for 2 months, got injured again and just got back to training at the beginning of August... Was out for a total of 4 months.
The other 3 have no overuse or other serious injuries.

We will have 40+ L6 -L10 this season. The only spinal fractures have been one L6 (two years ago) and one L7 (this summer). Still deciding levels...but approximately 17 L8+. One will miss most of this season due to OCD (elbow). I would say most of this group has had some sort of overuse issue, some are chronic (back, shoulder, knees, pelvis, etc.) But none have required more than a few weeks out of the gym. (even the one with OCD is working saltos, she runs, rides the stationery bike, stretches, etc.) I will add that no one does BWO on beam as a rule (some exceptions). We don't compete L5. L6 does BHS, L7 BHS,BHS etc. I think this has helped quite a bit with the back issues. May not be related, but I have read on this forum that nothing "trashes backs" like BWO on beam.

Right now.... Not a single one (small team, about 15 girls training 8-10 with some likely competing L7 again this season but still working at least L8 skills daily). We have one that wears a supportive belt because she had a stress reaction in her back but she works everything. A few that wear knee bands because of OS. A few wearing heel cups (Severs). A couple taping or wrapping various body parts here and there (ankles, wrists etc) but honestly nothing major. I would say for a group of girls training 20hrs+, ages 10-15 it's what I would expect..!

Old gym seemed to have a pretty high rate of back issues at gym in optional level. One year, 1/2 of my dd's optional team of 8 had back pain, with one quitting and one in back brace for months. That gym also did not have a strong conditioning program and the upper level compulsory coach really liked backwalkovers. At current gym I don't know of anyone with back problems the past 3 years, but there was a weird year of 4 out of 13 girls with elbow injuries, 3 requiring surgery.

Have major injuries from overuse that will keep them out of doing gymnastics for 3-6 months. For example, fractures in their back. I am pretty much interested at level 8-10 kids. And if you could please notate approximate age of these kids.

Thanks!

what's the question?

I guess I'm wondering how the average gym parent would know which injuries were overuse injuries and which ones were flukes? Especially when the injuries happened to someone else's gymnast?

I guess I'm wondering how the average gym parent would know which injuries were overuse injuries and which ones were flukes? Especially when the injuries happened to someone else's gymnast?

good point. there's really no way to know. my daughter does morning practices so i have no idea what is going on with the mid-day or evening groups.

also, my daughter is currently modifying for an overuse hamstring injury but unless another gymnast told their mom, a casual observer probably couldn't even tell she was modifying- they'd probably just think she sucked at leaps. LOL.

I have no idea, but I will say that Sever's and/or Osgood-Schlatter's seems to affect over half the girls in our gym. My daughter has both, and it seems to be really common.

What I have noticed in my dd's gym is there are ages where many have overuse injuries.
-The girls who are having their pre-pubescent growth spurt most have Severs and OS...9-12.....at one point there were 5 L5s all injured...many kneecap avilsion fractures....coincidence?
-Then the girls who are heavier are having wrist issues- Gymnast Wrist. Mostly around L6 and up....a couple broke wrists from vaulting or backhandsprings....around 11 12 yo
-We had two girls with back stress reactions....one required surgery...both L7 both about 12 yo
-one girl fractured 3 times different parts, all on separate occasions, only one in the gym.....she is 12 and training L8
-We have not had any of the older L8s and up injured...14yo and up.....they mostly 'look' like young women now. (or their pains are under control and stable?)
-Mine 11yo has been suffering through severs....she has grown a ton and All I can do is make sure she wears good sneakers and ice and rest and limit tumbling....gotta keep her safe before the season......L7
-It would depend on the age of your optional team......We have one 11 YO L9 who is never injured, but she hasn't grown either.....the other 12 YO L9 has grown a lot, but she took several weeks off in the summer.

IMO is the AGE when injuries start happening - around the growth spurt when the bones are soft and muscles are short.
Same happened with my boy.....injuries were non existent until pre-puberty....then BANG, severs, OS tendinitis, bicep/shoulder tendinitis.....lasted YEARS....
An old dinosaur in gymnastics told me it starts at the ground and goes up...feet first, and ending in arms and shoulders or the head! LOL

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back