WAG What skills should I have?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

rinrin

Gymnast
If I want to compete level 7 in Winter/Spring 2016 (next season), then where should I be at right now (June/July 2015)?
I competed level 5 last season, and my coaches said I could either do level 6 or level 7 next season. I want to do level 7.
If I compete level 7, my routines will have to be:
Beam - bhs-bhs series, cw-tuck dismount, 180 degree split (either jump or leap), full turn
Bars - kip cast hs, clearhip circle, giants, layout flyaway
Floor - fhs-front layout, ro-bhs-bl, 1 1/2 turn, switch leap - straddle jump
Vault - really good fhs

BHS-BHS for a L7 beam series is pretty ambitious - is this a gym requirement or are you already advanced on beam?

It would be so nice to be able to predict, wouldn't it? If I have skill x by this date I should have skill y by that date. Unfortunately (and I suspect you already know this) in this crazy sport there is just no predicting. You could burn through skills like crazy and be training 8 next year. You could get stuck on one or more skills (or even, God forbid, lose skills or get injured) and still be doing 5 next year. It sounds like you are doing everything right... You have set goals and talked to your coach about those goals. Now just work your butt off at the gym, get enough sleep, eat well, and stay healthy. And be kind to yourself whether you make it to 7 next year or not. You're already doing skills that most kids could only dream of. Good luck! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back