WAG What to look for for preteam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jard.the.gymnast

Coach
Gymnast
Tuesday we are having our first team tryout. The kids will try out for pre team and are all born in either 2010 or 2011. Some, if not most of them have not done actual gymnastics before.

Since i also coach preteam (as an assistent) i will help to select kids. What does your gym select kids on? Strength and flexibility are the obvious ones. Do they look at form, at skills, coachability?

Curious to hear what the criteria are in different gyms.

We often look for coach ability, attention to detail, muscle twitch, ability to learn things quickly and work ethic. Of course, everything is subjective though, and it all depends on the individual gymnast.

My little dd was just turned 4 when she first trialled, and they tested her by trying to teach her a perfect forward roll and see if she could apply the corrections, so I suppose whether she understood them and could follow instructions. eg legs and feet together, don't put your hands down, reach forward, etc. I thought that was a good test for coachability at a really young age.

Coachability is my biggest “tell”. Strong, flexible and good “twitch”, yes, and also how daring they are. One of my biggest indicators is taking them up on high beam (for many it is the first time) and seeing how much they dare to do and how they react to being “uncomfortable” up there.
Focus, good listening, attitude and willingness to listen to and apply corrections. I don’t care if you are super strong and flexible, if you don’t pay attention to me and don’t even try to apply corrections, you probably won’t make the cut.
If you spend the entire tryouts whining and telling me you can’t (won’t) do it... you won’t make the cut.
Skills are pretty secondary as I will likely reteach most everything with form anyways....
Good luck, I love coaching preteam and early compulsories!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back