MAG What to wear?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

profmom

Proud Parent
What do most male team members wear to practice? I'm just about to plunk down the $$ for a couple of pairs of pommel pants, but I'm less sure about getting a practice singlet and downright cranky at the thought of buying shorts. The guys have been wearing their team competition togs to practice, but I am growing exceedingly weary of looking frantically for the pieces before practice because they end up strewn all over the house, and I know that sooner or later, someone's gonna spill fluorescent gatorade on those currently blindingly white pants. (Seven-eight year olds -- snowy white pants -- <headdesk>.)

our boys wear team leo plus shorts - they only wear pommel trousers when they are competeing at a higher level

Shorts and a T-shirt at practice. Some guys will use their older competition pants for pommels, others just deal with it.

Our boys wear workout-comfortable street clothes to practice. I have switched DS to athletic pants because he is getting mushroom burns.

Girls at our gym are required to wear leos or the two piece equivalent, but not the boys.

The boys at our gym (my son included) favor under armor (or the like) fitted shirts and shorts. My son likes the longer basketball shorts-because of pommel. They only wear their comp gear at comps-too expensive to wear them everyday! Lately, their coach has had them wear socks during the events they would be wearing socks in. Makes sense to me...

When my son first started he wanted to wear a singlet and shorts to gym every day (he was seven at the time). Now that he is in middle school he prefers shorts and a t-shirt, which is what the older high school boys wear... yes, we are at the age when what you wear matters now! In the summer the boys usually end up with no shirt on as well.... only thing is..he used to be more comfortable in his competition gear because he wore it every day...now it is a "new feeling" when he competes.

Last edited:
My son wears the under-armour style shirts and shorts or his comp shirt and shorts to practice. Especially with the season starting in a few weeks, I want him to be comfortable in the tighter fit of the comp shirt. He has worn regular t-shirts to practice but likes the more fitted style of the under-armour type shirts, he has gotten caught on stuff a couple times in regular t-shirts.

I am so glad that we went with black shorts and pants. I can't imagine trying to keep white clean. My son would have those killed before we even go to a meet.

DS wears shorts, coach requires a fitted singlet, only allowed to wear a tshirt when warming up. He is required to bring longs to training to wear when doing pommel (and I hate how the once snowy white longs are now have an awful grubby tinge from repeated wearing to practice). He is also needs to take socks, they wear them on some apparatus and for some strength activities to prevent "carpet burn".
He wears the same in winter, just adds under-armour or skins type long tights and shirt underneath the shorts and singlet. In summer he often removes his singlet.

Thanks, everyone. So it will be an extra set of pommel pants, some knock off underarmor, and regular plain ole shorts (as opposed to the $30 GK ones -- hello???!!). This should work until he's old enough to know that labels are really important.

Shirtlessness - hahaha! I love it when our cute, tiny L4s watch the big guys working out shirtless and then strip down to prance around and flex and show off their little pecs. Though that wasn't quite as funny as overhearing a pack of L7s (boys) at the gym a few days ago singing that LMFAO song "I'm Sexy and I Know It." (Don't worry, I managed to keep a straight face.)

We've had plenty of our young guys go shirtless. They love it unless they are pudgy and self conscious or just self conscious in general.

On pommel, pommel pants are a necessity ASAP. Get some black ones. Shirts need to be able to be tucked in for pommel since you don't want to catch one on releasing and regrabbing the pommel. Or go shirtless. Pants with no pockets.

It's good to always have a shirt even if they go shirtless, especially for some spotting. Sweaty skin or leos are not easy to grab.

And please, don't let your boys go commando. It's funny but it's embarassing if their shorts fly off on strap bar or high bar. Luckily I've only seen that happen with boys who had on boxers but I've known some little guys go commando.

most of the boys I've seen were shorts and a t-shrit from Walmart. you know those baskeball shorts the kids all wear. What does the gym say they have to wear?

Just had a thought, does your gym have a uniform policy ? Ours does and its listed on our website and in the gym so you know what to wear.

The new coach we got this summer started requiring a practice uniform for the pre-team and compulsory boys. It's a wife beater (oops, I mean white tank undershirts) and black shorts, and pommel pants for when they do pommel. I like it because the boys t-shirts don't fly up in their faces when they are upside down any more. Also, it help differentiate them from the rec. boys groups, and helps them feel more as a team. Many of the boys take off their shirts soon after practice starts, though, anyway. Not mine, though. He's too modest.

The L4 boys have been wearing their competition stuff to practice. The gym doesn't have a lot of rules about attire for the boys' team, but they do want them to come to practice in short sleeves and bring both long pants and shorts. Most of the older boys, however, do have pommel pants for practice.

We just achieved a great victory on singlets -- my hubby asked the front desk person where he might buy some boys' stuff at less expensive prices than GK, and she said, "Oh! we were going to put out a bunch of used singlets for the used leo sale and just didn't have room! Would you like first pick?" Why, yes, indeed, we would! The only unfortunate thing is that there were no pommel pants, but I guess we can eat that. It is, after all, a lot less than a meet fee . . . .

Our coach is rather strict. Their clothes have to be "fitted" in order to be safe...so no basketball shorts or tshirts. Most boys wear compression shirts or singlets with shorts. They have to wear pommel pants for pommel, so my son tends to just work out in his compression shirt and pommel pants.

As for shirtlessness, our boys are only allowed to take their shirts off when they are no girls in the gym. It is a respect thing from their coach. It is funny to watch them when the girls are all done! LOL!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back