WAG Which regions have a Level 7 regionals?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

htimcj

Proud Parent
Which regions have a level 7 regional where the girls have to qualify in some way to go? I can tell from a previous post that region 8 does. Region two has an invitational that is open to all L7 but is contemplating a "real" regional next year?

What do the rest of the regions do?

Region one does. It's at the end of April this year. Last year was the first year for level 7 regionals here.

Region 8 does. Each state gets an allotment based on some metric related to the number of gymnasts in the state. The top X gymnasts at states makes regionals, where X varies by the states within the region. The top 8 gymnasts from each state make the state team and compete in the team session. The rest compete in age group sessions.

Interesting to see that it is evenly split 4 regions have a level 7 regional and 4 don't. Are any of the regions that don't currently have a level 7 regional considering having one? Region 2 is apparently considering it but according to the website will evaluate it after this season.

Region 8 has had one for several years but now with the addition of Level 6, it creates a dilemma since it is the only optional level without one, as Region 8 also does an Xcel Regional meet every year. Honestly though, so few Level 7's qualify to the regional meet. I think last year NC was given only 35 slots out of more than 200 competing at states. The qualifying score ended up being around a 37.3.

Region 8 has had one for several years but now with the addition of Level 6, it creates a dilemma since it is the only optional level without one, as Region 8 also does an Xcel Regional meet every year. Honestly though, so few Level 7's qualify to the regional meet. I think last year NC was given only 35 slots out of more than 200 competing at states. The qualifying score ended up being around a 37.3.
http://region8gymnastics.org/downloads/annual/Level7&8Percentages.pdf

Between levels 7 and 8, they're going to have over 600 gymnasts at regionals. I don't know how that compares to other levels, but it seems like a fairly good sized number.

This is the first year we're having regionals for L7 and our state was given 7 slots for the same number of kids :eek:.

I guess that's a bummer for the L6s in your state, but it was that way for L7s here for years.

http://region8gymnastics.org/downloads/annual/Level7&8Percentages.pdf

Between levels 7 and 8, they're going to have over 600 gymnasts at regionals. I don't know how that compares to other levels, but it seems like a fairly good sized number.

It will be a good sized meet with great talent, for sure! And our state is thrilled to be hosting it.

To do comparisons with the other levels, you have to look at percentages. in NC, 75% of both L9 and L10's qualified for regionals. Compared to what roughly will be 40% of L8's and 15-25% of L7's (state meet is this weekend. I don't know how many are competing yet.. That's because L9/10 "only" need a 34 aa whereas the 7/8's need to be within the top 33(L7)/53 (L8) number of gymnasts across all age groups.

my comment about "so few gymnasts" was directed toward the fact that it is not like L9/10 where most gymnasts qualify for regionals. It is more like nationals for the 9/10s. And since this is the highest event for the 7/8's I suppose it should be more difficult to qualify.

This is the first year we're having regionals for L7 and our state was given 7 slots for the same number of kids :eek:.

I guess that's a bummer for the L6s in your state, but it was that way for L7s here for years.
Do you mean 7 slots for 220 girls or 7 for 7 girls? If it's the first, wow! I thought ours was tough!!

For the gyms that compete compulsory into optionals it's not that big of a deal since compulsories don't have regionals. The are used to waiting until level 7 for a chance. But here in R8, there many gyms that compete Xcel to optionals so these girls are used to going to Xcel regionals and then at least having the *chance* to go to 7 regionals (however small that might be). This year, the L6's just kind of got left out. I think the Region wasn't sure whether L6 was going to fly here so they held off. L6 seems to have done pretty well in terms of numbers in our state but I don't know the rest of the region.

my comment about "so few gymnasts" was directed toward the fact that it is not like L9/10 where most gymnasts qualify for regionals. It is more like nationals for the 9/10s. And since this is the highest event for the 7/8's I suppose it should be more difficult to qualify.
My comment was really suggesting that they were probably just targeting a manageable size, rather than a percentage of competitors.

My comment was really suggesting that they were probably just targeting a manageable size, rather than a percentage of competitors.
That is exactly it. They start with how many gymnasts they can reasonable put in across 2 (or 3, cant remember) days worth of competing and then they divvy up the spots based on the a calculation for each state.

Are you sure that's not just for the state team and that more gymnasts will qualify to the competition?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back