Parents Who goes to the meets?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

(And once they were optional a we had no desire for my in laws to see too much of what they did as they would start complaining how dangerous it was and how they should quit immediately. Yes, we once hid a broken ankle--in a cast from them!)

I've hidden injuries from family too for this very reason!

My mom is coming to dd's second meet with me! :)

I have four children, but they're the only grandchildren (so far and probably for a good many years yet) so my mom tries to come to as many things as possible. It's possible my extended family members might attend a meet or two since several are near where they live (a couple hours from us). My husband only has extended family members now and the ones we know well live across the country.

I was just talking to DS about this yesterday. So far, it's almost always me, DD, their dad and stepmom, and my mom. My sister will come to one a year. DS told me he wishes not everyone would come to every meet because it's a lot of pressure, but I don't know how to uninvite them without hurting anyone's feelings. My mom especially is very sensitive about it.

I was just talking to DS about this yesterday. So far, it's almost always me, DD, their dad and stepmom, and my mom. My sister will come to one a year. DS told me he wishes not everyone would come to every meet because it's a lot of pressure, but I don't know how to uninvite them without hurting anyone's feelings. My mom especially is very sensitive about it.

I had to do this with my inlaws. I just told them flat out that dd feels too much pressure with so many people there. I even added that she won't even let me watch beam, which is partly true.

I had to do this with my inlaws. I just told them flat out that dd feels too much pressure with so many people there. I even added that she won't even let me watch beam, which is partly true.
I am stuck in terms of the inlaws (my good friend calls them the outlaws, lol). They are obsessed with coming to states. It doesn't bother my dd in terms of pressure, but it is a huge distraction. And that does not help. Ugh! I sooo wish they would not come, especially as they will drive for two days to get there. It sucks. But not much I can do about it. Grin and bear it is what I will do.

My wife, Myself, and my son usually attend the meets. One set of grandparents are disabled and cant go anywhere. The other set of grandparents are to caught up in themselves to go to anything.

We have tried to adopt other grandparents at the meets. lol

Its okay though they either want to be involved in your kids lives or they don't.

It makes me sad that people aren't cherishing grandparents wanting to support their grandkids. I agree it can be distracting for the parent who attends with them, but focus on the positive that they are able to attend and support your child. Also, for those gymmies who say it's too much pressure, help them have a different perspective. The grandparents aren't there only to see them win but to support them no matter how they do. The pressure is coming from themselves.

My Mom lives 2 states away and usually gets here for 1 meet per kid per season. She loves watching them and seeing them develop their skills. First place or last place, even landing on their face, she's been there for it all, the hugs and pride given to them is the same. Maybe even more so for then they fall and get up and carry on.

It makes me sad that people aren't cherishing grandparents wanting to support their grandkids. I agree it can be distracting for the parent who attends with them, but focus on the positive that they are able to attend and support your child.

My kids would love for any their grandparents to be able to come to a meet, heck even a practice. Living all the way across the country from every person in both of our families means that they only see the girls do gymnastics via crappy YouTube videos. I get the annoyances- and the pressure- but I think people who have extended family close by who care enough to show up (because let's be honest, it's not the most exciting, relaxing, or comfortable way to spend a weekend) are incredibly lucky.

I completely understand about how blessed we are to have grandparents there, please don't get me wrong. If i didn't, i would ask them kindly not to come. The importance of them being there definitely outweighs the distraction, and we are ok knowing my child won't do as well due to distractions. But none of ours hear well (two have hearing aides), 2 also don't see the greatest, and they are very loud and make comments that at times make parents around me cringe also. They also all think my child should quit the sport because it is way too dangerous, and I absolutely dread the day there is an injury I must hopefully be able to downplay for both their and my dd's sake. I don't like their negativity, and at times I do have to kabosh it when they make inappropriate comments in front of my child. Yet at the same time they of course are sure she is going to the Olympics, lmao...it truly makes the head spin. Very sweet, but un, wayyy off base. So, I console myself with the fact that they are getting to see her do something she loves, and keep my mouth shut and smile on most of the time, knowing that this is important for them to be there. It still drives us crazy though.

Myself, and one set of grandparents who think DD is the best thing since sliced bread. She's their only grandchild, it's ridiculous how much they dote on her.

DH works away, so he's never been to a meet. I always try my best to find a babysitter for DS, I took him to a meet once and I didn't even get to watch it, too busy dealing with him.

Reactions: sce
This is DS's 3rd year competing. DH and I attend all meets (he is an only child). My parents try to attend a few meets (schedule and location permitting), and DH's dad we hope will attend some this year (has attended practice but no meets in the past). We stay with friends at one out of town meet, and they come watch that one. This year assorted friends and family will be attending some of them because locations/schedules are working out well.

I always go, DH goes most of the time and YDS goes because we are there. GPs come if it is close to their house. I wish that no one came though. I have to watch and be nervous and I don't like having to chat with people (including my husband) during the meet.

I always go. My husband tries to catch one meet a year, usually state (although not this year as it was a travel meet). My sister and her boys go to 1 meet a year, as do my parents (her grandparents). We deliberately do not take the whole family all the time because #1 it is crazy expensive, #2 the brothers would be bored stiff, and #3 they have their own sports and we are usually dividing and conquering, etc.

That said though, I am the odd parent on our team. Most of the rest of her level brings the whole family, siblings, and whatever grandparents are available....

I don't miss a meet. DH likes to go but we tend to limit it. We only do one local meet so we try to carpool/split hotel for a coupe of the meets.

He usually goes to 2-3 regular meets and then states/regionals.

We try to let ds miss as many as possible but he usually ends up at the one local meet and states/regionals. Always goes to regionals because we turn that into a vacation.

Only my parents have ever attended any meets. They go to the local meet and went out of town for states last year.

DD is actually pretty stoked to be able to go to one of DS's meets this month that will have L10 and college event finals the session after DS's. With her being injured, it's not as big a deal for her to skip a practice occasionally, since she can do her conditioning work at home.

My mom lives pretty far away and doesn't get to a lot of meets, but when she's in town, she goes to practice. She knows most of the kids who've been competing with her grandchildren and often asks about them as well.

For us it is usually me and my parents and FIL. My hubby attends when he doesn't have work. We only 'force' her brother (15) to attend at the state meets :) We call it payback for all the soccer tournments DD had to attend when she was younger.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back