WAG Why do gyms do it?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

You personally know this happened? Or did you hear it happened? I've never heard of this happening. I'm suprised the first thought the OP had was someone was cheating. When I read the beginning of her post I thought," MMS has it screwed up"
I have actually seen it happen... but I do know that MMS can easily be messed up. That was my thought when I saw a bunch of girls with double entries at the SAME LEVEL in the same session, but some of these seriously looked wrong.

I have actually seen it happen... but I do know that MMS can easily be messed up. That was my thought when I saw a bunch of girls with double entries at the SAME LEVEL in the same session, but some of these seriously looked wrong.

Thanks. Others also confirmed that this actually does happen. I had no idea! I'm just amazed at what people will do for money and/or to win. I wonder if they consider the lessons they are teaching the kids? Maybe this is happening around me and I'm oblivious, but I've never heard of it before reading it here.

I also think there should be transparency in score out meets... There should be a way for meet directors to verify girls levels of competition. I know results are supposed to be sent in to the state, but in many cases, the meet director has to take the coach's word that a gymnast has qualified to compete a specific level (not worried about anything below L4... but L4 verification score/ meet/date, L5 verification score, L7 verification score, etc).
And like I said, I understand competing 2 levels if one is to score out or (in the case of L6/L7 to see how the gymnast compares and then decide placement).
I just worry that gyms are training these girls for the higher levels and then "skipping" them without proper sanctioned score-out meets.

Someone had made the comment about having to register possibly before levels are determined... but if a girl had PLACED well at States the year before in say, L5, then the coaches should know that she MOST LIKELY won't be repeating L5. And a lot of meets will allow you to put a team deposit down to hold spots (with an approx number per level) and you can firm levels up a little later.

Most meets we've been to are fine about changing levels until pretty close in. It's generally just one or two girls/boys anyway. Heck, when we had our hosted meet, we got notice of some level changes when we were processing scratches right before the session started! And it was not a small meet.

I would object very strongly if my kid were the one being competed as a sandbagger just so my gym could win a cash prize. Now, on the other hand, if the prize were a new set of parallel bars for the gym . . . LEVEL 4 HERE WE COME!

Someone had made the comment about having to register possibly before levels are determined... but if a girl had PLACED well at States the year before in say, L5, then the coaches should know that she MOST LIKELY won't be repeating L5. And a lot of meets will allow you to put a team deposit down to hold spots (with an approx number per level) and you can firm levels up a little later.

Some meets do allow you to put a deposit, yes, but not all. Pink Invitational in Philadelphia for example requires full payment at the time of registration in September. Only numbers of athletes for each level are required, however, you are asked to be VERY careful on those numbers as they fill up the sessions based on those numbers. They had several levels fill up and NO changes were allowed in to those levels after confirmation of teams entered went out. I believe Manhattan Classic is another meet with a fairly early registration, that fills quickly, and does not allow level changes. It's just too hard for the huge invitationals that fill quickly to have constant level changes from hundreds of gyms.

Personally our gym had many kids at unknown levels in September, especially when we were looking at registration for meets as far away as February. I'd rather have a kid compete as a level 4 for that one travel meet, then gamble with the fact she may end up scratching bars as she still doesn't have her fly-away.

My DD is a L6 and was at CGA and her L5 scores are listed as 2015 but they are from last year. THis years scores adn places are listed for L6 also as 2015.

My DD is a L6 and was at CGA and her L5 scores are listed as 2015 but they are from last year. THis years scores adn places are listed for L6 also as 2015.
Yah, that whole thing is pretty messed up. :eek: I can't wait until the results are on the meet website so I can see how many REALLY competed more than one session (which, like i said, I don't have a prob with as long as they are consecutive levels)

We had 4 L10s and 7 L9s compete at CGA and right now only one L10 is showing up in the results at all...although I didn't check the level 3 results, maybe they are listed there...

Aside from the MMS mix-up, we were at a meet recently where some of the level 5's from a particular gym also competed level 6. Is this just to see how they would do as a 6? Someone mentioned that "declaration day" isn't until February so they might try a higher level and then decide which one to declare. I'm still not sure that's fair but I'm not in charge. :)

MMS is whacked - If you were to look up my daughter you would see she is competing levels 9 and XG gold this season. My daughter is in the JO stream, they just randomly started pulling some XG child's scores into her name. Ironically she is apparently much better at level 9 than XG o_O

Reactions: COz
Aside from the MMS mix-up, we were at a meet recently where some of the level 5's from a particular gym also competed level 6. Is this just to see how they would do as a 6? Someone mentioned that "declaration day" isn't until February so they might try a higher level and then decide which one to declare. I'm still not sure that's fair but I'm not in charge. :)

5 and 6 are interchangeable- but I don't know if you have to declare one or the other. I am curious to know!

I've noticed lots of errors lately with MSO and then transferring the scores to MMS. There were some major glitches with some meets early in January. For instance, according to MSO, my dd finished AA 3 places lower than the number of girls in her age group at a recent meet. They had placements mixed up for all sorts of girls and girls in wrong sessions….

MMS is whacked - If you were to look up my daughter you would see she is competing levels 9 and XG gold this season. My daughter is in the JO stream, they just randomly started pulling some XG child's scores into her name. Ironically she is apparently much better at level 9 than XG o_O
Well, with level 9 routines, she is probably getting lots of "unallowable element" deductions in XG. ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back