WAG why do we do hollow rocks?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymnndance

Coach
Proud Parent
I was wondering why we still keep doing tons of hollow rocks and holds and stuff and not progress to something harder, more intense?

Of course I know, it is super important for shaping. Constantly reminding them of the right shapes etc. But shapes can and should be emphasised doing all of the other skills and exercised as well!

So why don't we move further in our abs conditioning?

When we can do push-ups, we move to elevated push-ups, dips or handstand push ups.
When we can climb the rope normally, we progress to leg less or pull ups.
When we can straddle press from stand we progress to pike press or sitting stalder press.
When we can squat we progress to single leg squats or partner squats.
When we can V-Up, we progress to hanging leg lifts.
When we can arch rock, we progress to reverse leg lifts and reverse sit-ups.

So, why is there no common progression for hollow rocks? Or do I simply don't know it?
I guess it would it be what is called a "dragon flag" in crossfit/calisthenics?

I know, gymnastics is not about strength only! It requires MUCH more than that. I do now that dynamic and skill-specific movements are even more important. Like snap-downs, leg speed and explosiveness, handstand hops, speed leg lifts etc but I guess you get my point.

So to come to an end:

- Why do we do so many hollow rocks and not progress to something more difficult?

- If we do use harder exercises in all the exercises mentioned above (push-ups - elevated push-ups, V-Ups - Leg Lifts etc) should you still work on the easier exercises or would it just be a waste of time?

- If you should keep doing the easier exercises, would once a week be enough? Or more frequently?

I think it all depends on what your goal is for that specific group of gymnasts.

Not sure if this counts as a progression, but I add weights to hollow rocks (holding a ball in their hands) to make the exercise more difficult for advanced kids.

We (or at least I) do so many hollow rocks because they teach holding one of the most important shapes in all of gymnastics in a dynamic motion as well as strengthen the core, which is never a bad idea.

A lot of the "harder" exercises you mention are actually things we work simultaneously, with the exception of press handstands and rope climbs. I use them to mix things up and make training more exciting.

Take this with a grain of salt, I've only been coaching for five and a half years and am still learning. Maybe someone more experienced will chime in as well.

You do hollow holds and hollow rocks for a similar reason you have gymnasts do simple rolls, handstand holds, split leaps,.... when although they can already much harder stuff. It's a basic shape and muscles need to be activated/reminded on how to hold and achieve that shape.

You can make them harder by adding exercises before (V ups, etc.), have the gymnast do a full turn while rocking, and so on.

You do hollow holds and hollow rocks for a similar reason you have gymnasts do simple rolls, handstand holds, split leaps,.... when although they can already much harder stuff. It's a basic shape and muscles need to be activated/reminded on how to hold and achieve that shape.

You can make them harder by adding exercises before (V ups, etc.), have the gymnast do a full turn while rocking, and so on.

Thanks a lot for your answer! May I ask you, for how many reps should I aim for when teaching hollow/arch/side rocks?

At the moment, coach makes them do 1 minute hollow rocks followed by a 1 minute hollow hold. Same for arch and side.

I definitely agree with @eucoach. It's so important to emphasize and reinforce the shapes we want our kids to use and be proficient at. It's the same reason great pianists still practice their scales, even after reaching virtuoso levels.

Here are two advanced exercises that use the hollow shape. These videos are of two of my particularly strong athletes. Hopefully they can be of use to you.

Thanks a lot for your answer! May I ask you, for how many reps should I aim for when teaching hollow/arch/side rocks?

At the moment, coach makes them do 1 minute hollow rocks followed by a 1 minute hollow hold. Same for arch and side.

This is impossible to say without seeing the individual gymnasts. You need to watch every gymnast carefully for proper technique and form. If they are not able to hold good shapes, making the exercise harder will strengthen the wrong muscles and make them more prone to various injuries in the future.
I don't make every gymnast in my group do the exact same conditioning. I might ask a gymnast to just hold a hollow body position while everyone else has to do rocks.

Shining ignorance here too..... but I think hollow rocks start from lying on the floor, lifting your head/shoulders and feet up (legs straight and tight together) into a hollow (boat?) shape and then rocking back and forth. The vids above are an advanced hollow shape exercise and holy smoke that second girl has some strength and control :D

My DD is just going to try the second one!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back