Why vault using mini tramp

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

littlegirlsdream

Proud Parent
Ok, just curious. I noticed my daughters lvl 5/6 team vaults using what looks like a mini tramp with vault set at 3 almost always. What is the benefit of this? Also on a side note, when my daughter does get to use a board she seems to get more height from a board with more springs, is that typically how it works? Just curious. Oh and just incase dd is 7. Thanks

That's a very good question. I am kind of partial to coaching vault and I don't really care much for the mini tramp. It can be used for working shapes as long as you aren't worried about the heel drive. I've used just the mini tramp for punch layouts into the pit to focus on heal drive and I've also set up pit vault with the setting lower than the gymnast's normal setting and the minitramp. This seems to force them to get a heel drive or completely miss the table.

It's good practice. Because of the height and angle of the mini-tramp, it re-enforces feet first, hips in line, leading to more powerful and aggressive forward moving vaults. At some point, usually when the kids start getting close to bottoming the mini- most people abandon it, or they use other drill to simulate the effect.One of those preferential coaching things. Some do, some don't. If it works, don't worry about it :)

Makes sense to me, thanks for the insight. heel drive would be nice too, lol, seems to be lacking at this point but perhaps it will come.

The Tramp can be used to introduce new gymnastics skills at an easier approach because its suppose to be easier to get the height needed for the vault in this case with less force and pounding on the body. In an off season time like summer when new skills are being learned and old ones are being polished up, the body of a gymnast can get beaten up pretty bad. The tramp can help take some of the pounding of the ankles, knees, and back so that more focas can be made on the body positions.

Hope this helps, Good Luck!

boards fatigue the body sooner. you can get in lots of safe repetitions with the mini.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back