Parents Wish we knew what to expect... moving up??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd is 6 years old and has been on Preteam (level 3) all year. Our gym does not start competition until Level 4. She's spent the year on preteam, working hard and anticipating a move up to Level 4 this summer. Up until about two weeks ago we thought she would be moving up for sure. Even as she went to a Level 4 meet to cheer on some friends, both coaches came over and hugged her and both made comments about "see what you get to look forward to next year?!?"

Well about two weeks ago we found out that because of many reasons, only about 6 girls out of the entire gym will be moving up to team this summer. That really narrows it down considering the amount of girls we have. My poor dd has wanted it so badly and worked so hard... as I'm sure ALL of the other girls in the running have! It will be tough for any of them to repeat I'm sure.

My problem is that financially it is a HUGE step to move from Preteam to Level 4. So my dh and I would really, really love to find out what's going on. Considering the fact that the teams will be set by June 15, and practice will begin then... I'm really almost sure that they already know who they will be moving up. And although we've asked, the coach is still telling us that we have to wait. Almost like they have no consideration for the parents who have to take the financial step and figure out how they will make it happen. I guess they figure we really should just prepare for it either way. One of dd's good friend's parents on preteam has already been told by coach that their daughter will be repeating. So I figure they've got to be narrowing it down very soon.

I have no idea what I'm writing this post for... venting perhaps. I really hope for dd's sake that she makes the move up, although when I asked her about it this morning she had SUCH a fabulous attitude, telling me she will not quit, and will just repeat preteam if that's what it takes. That's my girl. :)

I know it makes me a "bad gym mom"... but sometimes (as with parenting in general) the things they endure feels like it will be harder on us mom's than it really is for our kids! :)

I want to know Nooooooowwwwwww!!!!!!! Waaaaahhh!!!! ;)

Anyone else playing the waiting game right now?

Yep, still waiting. Dd1 will be moving to the official Lvl 4 team, dd2 will either stay at the intermediate dev squad (2/3 skills) or move to the adv dev squad (3/4 skills) squad. At this point she just needs to make her fhc. Its really up to the skills and I get that! Do you know what skills your daughter's coaches are looking for for lvl4?

Sounds like you already know, but you're letting anxiety get to you. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Welcome to the world of crazy gym mom LOL. We all are in this spot and really they may not know exactly who until the day of. There could be a few girls on the fence and they don't want to tell some now and have others wait so to be fair they need to wait. I know its tough but it only gets worse. My DD is training L8 this summer but we won't know for sure until like October!! If she has the skills in place to compete L8 (I think she will and maybe even score out and move to L9 - that's the coaches plan for her and another girl but who know when the time come)

The waiting game is so hard! Hope they let you know soon. If it's strictly financial, then right now plan for the more expensive level 4 option and save the extra if she doesn't get moved up!

I am just a little confused OP, financially do you not know what is involved if she were to move to L4 or you know what costs will be, but you are not sure if your dd is one of the ones moving up?? If you do not know the costs, just talk with a L4 parent or talk to the coach and tell them you are trying to prepare so that if she is one that moves us, you will be financially set to meet the obilgation. If you already know the costs and just don't have a clue yet where she falls, I'd plan like she is moving up and have the money ready to go come June 15th.

It is definitely a waiting game, but it is always better to be prepared than to be caught with you pants down! Unfortunately, we all kind of go through the waiting game at some point in the year regardless of level. Compulsories seems to go through it now, while the Optionals seem to go through it in early Fall. We (my dd and our family) are heading into our 9th year of competitive gymnastics and this coming year and only one other year did I know what level she would be competing! So, as you can see we have had to play the waiting game numerous years! It never gets any easier, but at least you come to expect it!

Like Granny said, there seems to be a waiting game no matter what level your DD is at. It definitely gets easier dealing with it the longer you stay associated with this sport (my DD is currently working L9). I can tell you that most coaches have the best interests of thier athletes at heart and don't want to set them up for failure; coming to the point of trusting the coach is hard, but it does relieve the stress when you get there.

Thanks for the responses! It's good to know I'm not the only one who dislikes having to wait for those last-minute decisions! After three years in the gym, this is our first year considering a competitive level, so I think I'm just anxious!

For our family, we know what to expect financially... we also choose a private school for our kids, so between gym and coming up with tuition, we just need to know how and where to ration our money/budget this summer... either way, we are broke! ;)

It's more just me being anxious to see if all of her hard work will pay off. Honestly though, I do wish the gym would give more notice than a week or so before making a move like this. It's not just that she's going from one level to another... Her schedule and hours will also change tremendously, going from preteam to a competitive level. Wish I knew what to expect with summer hours also. Either way, we'll make it work!

We love our gym, so no complaints there. I know the coaches have to make a tough decision on who moves and who doesn't. The waiting game is just hard for this Mama. :eek:

For our family, we know what to expect financially... we also choose a private school for our kids, so between gym and coming up with tuition, we just need to know how and where to ration our money/budget this summer... either way, we are broke! ;)

:eek:

Welcome to the financially draining world of competitive gymnastics:)! Heading into my 14th year so I feel your pain....

Welcome to the financially draining world of competitive gymnastics:)! Heading into my 14th year so I feel your pain....

LOL Bookworm This is year 15 for me and I feel the pain too. My money tree has been dead for some time now and I thank god for the grandma scholarship to help pay for her gymnastics. it was even harder when my son was competing too. Two on team was a challenge.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back