MAG wonky scoring?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
yesterday we had a meet and our boys had fun and did well. However the judging seemed off especially on floor exercise.Floor is my sons best event and he had a great routine, he does all the bonus skills and his routine was very clean. He received a 9.5 or a yellow. This was fine with me, the problem I had was that there where other boys who had obvious errors such as falling in their headstands, obvious steps, no bonus skills who also received yellows. I dont have a problem with a strict judge, but it seemed like he would feel sorry for certain kids and didnt want to score anyone too low. just kind of frustrating!

Sigh. Welcome to the world of gymnastics! We see that nearly every meet. That, and judge bias, and other interesting quirks. Some judges like big swings, some judges like tight form. So you can get totally different scores from different judges. We try to focus on the routine itself, the skills, how d felt about the routine, whether or not he did all of his skills, added a skill, etc. D sets goals that are NOT score related for each meet.

For instance, at this past meet, he placed on pommel and floor. HOwever, he was most proud of his rings routine. He actually fell out of his back uprise, but got to do his handstand for the first time in a meet, and hit it. THAT was the biggest part of the meet, not the placements, scores, or awards.

It is frustrating. I find, in general, that we parents get more frustrated than the kids do. they have fun and do their thing. Do we notice the bias, the perceived in equalities, etc. YEP! We can't help it. But the kids do not usually see it. Our coach told D early on to not let scores and placements ruin a perfectly good gymnastics meet. This has stuck with D, and he truly just goes out there to have fun! Fun is the key at these lower levels!!!

This is my son's first year competing....my daughter has been competing for four years. I find all the boys' scoring wonky!! My DS can do pretty much an identical routine from one meet to the next, and the score can be 1.5-2 points different. Or, he adds a bonus at one meet that he's never done before and gets his lowest score ever. I try not to stress :).

Keep in mind that the judges are all using a new scoring system too. I think there will be less variability next year.

The variability this year is amazing!!! DS did a floor routine yesterday that was not nearly as good as the prior week and got an 11.6 (last week was a 10.5). It really does come down to what the others have said, you've got to set non-score goals. Otherwise it could really get them down on themselves!

Yup. We are finding this out this year, too. At one meet, our boys did flyaways, inlocates, all bonuses, basically, and scored really well. Went to the next meet and was told by the judge NOT to do the flyaways bc he would nail them on their scores...hmm...

I am finding it depends on the judges, and at the last meet, our HC waited on each event to tell the boys whether to do their bonuses or not-depending on the judge they had. Younger, college athletes as judges seem to LOVE the bonuses and score them well. Older, more experienced judges don't want to see bonuses. They just want tight, clean, simple routines.

On the topic of scoring, what is the deduction for a fall on the landing of a dismount? For example, you complete flyaway (in level 5) but fall back, and you complete rings dismount but fall? Does it matter if it was the bonus that you fell on?

The thing with bonuses...it's better to not do them at all if you don't do them correctly, because, not only will you NOT get any credit for the skill, but they can also take any form deductions, fall deductions, etc. So...say you might score a 10 with no bonus. If you attempt it, have bad form, then fall, they will not add in a bonus score, plus take the fall and form deductions, so you might end up with a 9. Better off to not do it than do it incorrectly or risk a fall.

That's what I thought. I still think it's worth him doing flyaway (even though the fall cost 1.5 points right, if you take fall plus loss of bonus??). I've never seen him fall in practice or a meet so he usually has it. He did the best routine he's done, and I think he just got excited!

yesterday we had a meet and our boys had fun and did well. However the judging seemed off especially on floor exercise.Floor is my sons best event and he had a great routine, he does all the bonus skills and his routine was very clean. He received a 9.5 or a yellow. This was fine with me, the problem I had was that there where other boys who had obvious errors such as falling in their headstands, obvious steps, no bonus skills who also received yellows. I dont have a problem with a strict judge, but it seemed like he would feel sorry for certain kids and didnt want to score anyone too low. just kind of frustrating!

i've been doing this a long time and i don't think that i could've interpreted all that from watching. same meet...different day.:)

What is the "yellow"? I don't think that we do that in our area... The kids get a score and then they place based on the score; but that is it...:eyebrow:

What is the "yellow"? I don't think that we do that in our area... The kids get a score and then they place based on the score; but that is it...:eyebrow:

I'm assuming she's referring to the color of the ribbon they receive, based on their score range. I know when my daughter was just starting in the lower levels, some meets gave out ribbons by color, not place...blue is a 9+, red is an 8+, yellow is a 7.5+ and white is a 7+ (I think I got that right). I've never seen it at one of my son's meets though.

i can't keep track anymore cause we have so many stoooooooooopid placement awards, but it might be for breaking a 9.0? remember, in some parts you get participant awards for just showing up... i'm sure we'll hear.:)

In our level 4 boys' meets, they don't flash scores. The kiddo gets a ribbon based on what range his score is in.

As an aside, at D's level 4 state meet, he and his teammate got all blue ribbons on every event, but got red for their all around. We still have no idea how that works..

I think I need to just work with him on creating goals that dont have to do with the scoring. thanks for all the advice! it is good to know we arent alone

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back