workouts twice a day

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DD's old gym has always had twice a day practices. The upper levels go MWF morning and then M-Sa. It's insane. And no they aren't all that great. They had 3 level 10's right now and both did well at state, but they didn't do better than many surrounding gyms that work out way less. So I don't see the benefit for all the extra hours.

They also allow the lower levels to come. They come the same MWF schedule (3.5 hours) plus their regular evening practices. The Level 4's practice 3 days a week for 10.5 hours, so it would be 21 hours for that group. The Level 5's work out 5 days a week so for those that come in the morning it's 28 hours per week. The parents just eat this up.

When we were there I considered letting DD do it since she is homeschooled anyway, BUT I would only let her go in the morning. I was not going to do both. We left so it doesn't really matter anyway.

The other bad thing about that program is that it creates a rift in the gym. The girls who come in the morning get more attention, get put in the better groups etc. The ones that don't are treated differently.

All I can say is quanity does not equal quality. Level 4's and 5's should not be working out 20+ hours a week, that is insane. Ours workout 9-10.5 and they are just as good as all the other gyms in the area. Our optionals only work out a max of 15 hours a week and they are a winning team, always winning titles and placing top 3 in all events and AA, they are a small team granted but they work hard.

Thanks for all the responses--they definitely give me things to think about before we decide. My biggest concern is burnout (physical and mental) and general fatigue. The 2-a-days are not every day, and are only for a couple of hours, with a focus on conditioning and basics (not event training). I have no clue about the cost...never thought to ask.

i didn't feel like it was neccesary making a new thread about this. but i was wondering because at my gym we practice three days a week, but we have 2 events each practice so we have more time to do them. We switch off every practice, so maybe wednesday do bars and beam, thur. vault and floor etc. Does anyone else's gym do this?

Yes, my DD trains 3 days a week, but they don't do all four events each time, as they wouldn't get very long on each one.

i didn't feel like it was neccesary making a new thread about this. but i was wondering because at my gym we practice three days a week, but we have 2 events each practice so we have more time to do them. We switch off every practice, so maybe wednesday do bars and beam, thur. vault and floor etc. Does anyone else's gym do this?

My daughter's pre-team is only in the gym two days a week for 1 1/2 hour each day. They do two events each day: bars and floor one day and vault and beam the other. They do about 20-25 min of stretching/warm-up at the beginning and then about 10-15 of conditioning at the end so the time left in the middle just wasn't enough to get all four events in. I sometimes wish that they did all four events every day because she doesn't retain a lot that she learns when she's only doing it once a week, but it's just too much for a 1 1/2 hour class to fit it all in.

I know one 8 year old who is training 3 hours before school and 3 hours after school 5 days a week, so 30 hours.
She moved from our club to this other club because she wants to go to the Olympics (very natural gymnast body type, lots of natural muscle and very good work ethic). It seems to be working for her so far (about a year) and she still loves it.
I dont know anyone else or heard of any other clubs in the area doing this except this one club.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back