WAG WWYD DD competing alone

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Maybe our gym is unique (and we are quite small, yet very competitive)... but most of our training groups are mixed. And our coaches have never had an issue with training the girls appropriately despite mixed levels. Level 6's recently have been training with level 4's. The 4's get uptraining exposure this way too. My DD -level 6 - gets to still train with her former teammates (those remaining 4's), but of course they continue to focus on her skills and her uptraining. Not for a second have I felt that her training has been impacted negatively by this. While she is working her giants, other girls are working their baby giants. Even at the same competitive level, not all the girls have the same exact skill level per se. Works at our gym.

I think you are probably right. I guess I was just projecting the way my dd's gym works and assuming others are similar. I think at dd's gym 5/6 may train together and 7-9 definitly do. But the lower compulsory groups do not overlap at all at dd's gym. They are also a one level per year at lower levels and they don't do a whole lot of uptraining during the season. So it's learn the next level skills from Dec-June, move up levels, perfect the skills and learn routines from June-August and then compete from August-December. They spend quite a bit of time practicing routines during the season. So, that's why I was questioning how the training would work. But if OP's gym is more like yours, then that makes sense. :)

My DD was in this situation for old 4 when she was 7/8. I wanted her to move up, but gave her the choice to repeat. The coach said she would be ok either way. She chose to repeat and had a fun season. She won her first and only AA. It was great for her self confidence. Eventually she moved ahead of some again while a few new girls skipped ahead. She competed alone this year at level 7 age 12 but she was older and had her own goals. Looking back I am glad I let her decide.

I would let her move up if that's what the coaches want her to do and if she's fine with it. Dd's gym has all the compulsory girls practice together most days anyhow and they're able to practice appropriately for their level. They have time slots when they're divided up a bit more, but it's never been an issue when I've been watching (granted, I don't watch frequently) aside from the floor rotations getting a little complex sometimes.

Most of our Xcel girls (some B with all the S/G/P) train together too and that's not been a problem either.

You're paying the coaches for their expertise and they recommend moving her up, so do it. I can see zero benefit to repeating a compulsory level if you are ready to move up. The goal is to get through compulsories, not to wallow in them. She'll see her buddies at the gym and will be fine...

Let her move. She will still be practicing with a team, the alone part will just come at meets that are a mere fraction of her gymnastics experience over the course of a year. And, like other posters have said, there is always a chance at smaller meets that levels will be mixed and she will end up competing with a team.
I have one girl (just turned 8) who found out she would be competing in a session by herself at the state meet based on where her birthday fell. I was worried she would be upset but she was actually super excited to have the opportunity for one on one time with the coach and to be the focus of her parents attention throughout the meet (she has a sister in the same level). Go figure!

Staying behind for friends is not a good reason to repeat a level. As many others have said, the girls will move at different rates through their gym lives and if she's only going to gym for a social experience you're wasting your money, she can make friends at Girl Guides for far less. My DD competed L4 alone as a 9 yo last year and was fine. She liked the one on one time with her coach at meets and became friendly with the girls she rotated with during meets. Our group now is a blended 4/5 and the routines are quite similar so it works well. I'd take her coaches' recommendation and move her up.

Move her up. If you try to base your gymnastics journey on the progress of other kids, it will get very complicated.

A few years ago, all of dd's friends moved up to L7 (and different training groups & times) and she was left in old L6/new L5. It was hard for her, but she made new friends. Almost all of them repeated L8 this year so she "caught back up" to them.

There are times where our girls on our team have to complete alone because of age breakdowns or injuries or whatever. Sometimes other girls will come to cheer them on...and sometimes it is just gymmie and coach.

This is a great time for her to start learning that this sport needs to be for HER and not for her friends. It is great to have friends and build those relationships, but they shouldn't stop her from moving up.

Good luck to her!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back