WAG Xcel or JO

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

USAG website:

Junior Olympic Program Overview
The Junior Olympic program was developed with the belief that all athletes, regardless of their potential, must have a solid foundation of basic skills in order to advance safely. The program allows the gymnast to advance at her own pace, competing in more than one level in a year, if she so chooses.

Xcel Program Overview
The Xcel Program is designed to offer a broad-based, affordable competitive experience outside the traditional Jr. Olympic Program to attract and retain a diverse group of athletes.

It was developed to nationalize prep op programs that already existed in individual states and regions. Nationalizing it allowed gyms to compete in different states and regions without having to wonder what level they should enter and have to change routines to fit the rules. It also placed all these programs under USAG's control instead of in the state/ region control.

The reason why some gyms in certain states/regions (mainly region 8) use it as an alternative path toward optionals is because this is partially why their original programs were developed before xcel came into being. In many of these regions, the programs were called prep-op as in - prepping for optionals. It was developed for girls who were not quite ready to make the jump to L7. It only had 1 level (between level 6 and 7) but it grew quickly into 2/3 other levels depending on the state. in the description it stated one of the reasons for the program was for compulsory gymnasts who want to experience optional routines in the off season. Even USAG had this on their website when they first nationalized xcel. I realize that most states never had/used a program like this but some did and continue to do so today. To say that the gyms in those states are not using the program as it was intended is just inaccurate.

Also, the difference in hours isn't a good argument. It happens in compulsory and optionals as well. You will have gyms using minimal hour competing against the power gyms who use max+ hours.
Absolutely, 100% true. @gymgal, you really covered all the bases here. This is probably the best and most accurate description of the reasons for the Xcel programs's inception.

I also agree with the hours statement. I often find my team going up against other Xcel teams that train more or less hours than us. It's not unfair, it's just different gym cultures and philosophies.

I would be really curious to see some updated numbers from USAG. My observational impression in this area is that XCel is booming and is drawing in new athletes rather than just serving as an aggregator for girls who were scattered about in intramural, prep opt, and high end rec teams. But I would also be curious to see if there's been any drop in JO numbers at L7 and L8 as some girls transition to XCel Diamond and Platinum if they are close to topping out on skills in JO and feel stalled.

If XCel is bringing in new athletes, that makes me optimistic that the planned introduction of open optionals on the boys' side might have the same effect there. After all, there are different levels of competition/practice/commitment for high school age boys playing soccer, baseball, and a host of other sports -- why not gymnastics?

Again, hours and how the gyms use Xcel varies widely. And many gyms are not using Xcel the way it was intended. It was intended to draw the IGC folks over to USAG.

With the exception of NY, NJ, PA, and a small smattering of gyms in CA.... USAIGC is virtually non-existent in the remaining 46 states. As Gym Gal mentioned Xcel was created to nationalize the prep-op program that was already popular in many states and regions. Several Region 6 states had fairly large prep-op programs before Xcel was created including Mass and CT.

In my view, to describe the difference between Xcel and JO is not really possible. States and gyms that have Xcel all "treat" it differently just like they all approach their JO programs differently. And, as a real example, our Xcel program is evolving every year. This is the first year we have had Platinum level gymnasts since Prep Opt became Xcel and they workout with our level 6s. Several of our level 6s switched to Platinum because of skill requirements our coaches had for level 6 and 7 that some girls were struggling with. So, a girl might be able to compete a level 7 floor routine, a level 5 equivalent bar routine, and something in between 5 and 7 for beam. This way they could showcase the more advanced skills they did have. Really it opened up more flexibility for competing. But the Platinum girls are working out just as hard and long as our JO girls. Our lower level Xcel girls do tend to do less hours, but so do our compulsory girls. We also allow mobility between the two at the start of each competitive year when we need to submit the gymnast registrations.

All of that said, I am sure some gyms keep the two programs separate with two different sets of goals/objectives.

With the exception of NY, NJ, PA, and a small smattering of gyms in CA.... USAIGC is virtually non-existent in the remaining 46 states. As Gym Gal mentioned Xcel was created to nationalize the prep-op program that was already popular in many states and regions. Several Region 6 states had fairly large prep-op programs before Xcel was created including Mass and CT.
It was also to keep gymnasts in the sport longer, keeping and increasing revenue. The bottom line is it comes down to the bottomline.

In our area, Xcel is not used to fast track or bypass compulsories. And the State Meet rule in the same season wouldn't prevent girls from competing both as you could easily compete Xcel in the Winter/Spring and JO in the Fall and cross competitive years and you could also just not compete in Xcel State if your ultimate goal is JO anyway.

DD has competed both. In our area, Xcel is fairly competitive and I see highly skilled gymnasts even at the Bronze level, which is supposed to be the entry point. I do think some areas use Xcel as "pre team" for JO teams, but girls seem to end up in L3 or L4, not jumping to optionals. That may also be because there are a lot more Bronze and Silver girls and not much in the way of the higher XCel levels here.

I refuse to get into the argument (again) about Xcel being all about money and revenue. What I will say is this: Many gyms have what I would consider extreme requirements for kids to be in L3/L4 teams (such as L5 skills to compete L3). This turns a LOT of talented, committed kids off to the sport. Just like club soccer versus recreational, or travel baseball vs. little league, there are often competitive opportunities for kids at all levels in many sports, why shouldn't gymnastics be one of them?

I refuse to get into the argument (again) about Xcel being all about money and revenue. What I will say is this: Many gyms have what I would consider extreme requirements for kids to be in L3/L4 teams (such as L5 skills to compete L3). This turns a LOT of talented, committed kids off to the sport. Just like club soccer versus recreational, or travel baseball vs. little league, there are often competitive opportunities for kids at all levels in many sports, why shouldn't gymnastics be one of them?

There is nothing to argue about. Allowing more kids to compete is great for opportunities for the kids and it also increases revenue.

Its not one or the other. Its just a fact.

USAG website:

Junior Olympic Program Overview
The Junior Olympic program was developed with the belief that all athletes, regardless of their potential, must have a solid foundation of basic skills in order to advance safely. The program allows the gymnast to advance at her own pace, competing in more than one level in a year, if she so chooses.

Xcel Program Overview
The Xcel Program is designed to offer a broad-based, affordable competitive experience outside the traditional Jr. Olympic Program to attract and retain a diverse group of athletes.
Hmmm. Those JO statement appears odd. JO: gymnasts must have a solid foundation to ensure safety. - Is safety not also important in xcel?

Last edited:
I don't remember if this has been asked or not but if one of the goals of Xcel is to provide a less expensive track, why do meets charge more for Xcel than compulsory?

In our gym we pay a comprehensive fee every month and entry fees are included in that (as are competition leos and the USAG membership). Right now the monthly fee for her to be in Xcel is over $100 a month less than it would be if my dd was in JO - even for level 1 or 2. The only things we have to cover in addition to the monthly fee are travel costs and meet admission prices.

I would be really curious to see some updated numbers from USAG. My observational impression in this area is that XCel is booming and is drawing in new athletes rather than just serving as an aggregator for girls who were scattered about in intramural, prep opt, and high end rec teams. But I would also be curious to see if there's been any drop in JO numbers at L7 and L8 as some girls transition to XCel Diamond and Platinum if they are close to topping out on skills in JO and feel stalled.
you could likely get a cursory look at this through mymeetscores by searching through a few years of state meets.

Along the lines of costs, another difference between XCel and JO in my area is that most XCels only go to local meets, or maybe one or two that are 2-3 hours driving distance, whereas JOs tend to do more farther away meets, some that even require plan rides. There is a significant cost savings for XCel because of this.

Along the lines of costs, another difference between XCel and JO in my area is that most XCels only go to local meets, or maybe one or two that are 2-3 hours driving distance, whereas JOs tend to do more farther away meets, some that even require plan rides. There is a significant cost savings for XCel because of this.

That's what our gym does too: Xcel goes to a couple of big meets, and the rest are small local meets. JO goes to 5-6 big meets. The meet fees for Xcel are about $500 less than JO.
But almost all big meets now include Xcel, so it's really up to a gym which meets to attend.

I don't remember if this has been asked or not but if one of the goals of Xcel is to provide a less expensive track, why do meets charge more for Xcel than compulsory?

This may be a regional thing? I also think it may be a pure numbers issue - fewer gymnasts, same fees for overhead/judges = more per gymnast cost.

Where we live the meet entry is generally exactly the same for compulsories and xcel, and xcel meets are usually paired with optional or all level meets. My DD has never been to an all xcel meet. Our meet fees the two seasons she did xcel were significantly less (over a $1,000 less) than they are this year in optionals. It really truly threw me for a loop and I still don't even understand the huge difference (same number of meets, same amount of travel, same number of coaches, etc). One thing that is absolutely certain though is that I pay MUCH less per hour for JO than I did for xcel. Every gym we have been to, tried, trialed, or even called basically charge extended rec rates for xcel. JO is obviously subsidized or no one would be able to afford to do 20+ hours a week.

Can only speak to my area. All our Xcel meets were more than our JO meets last year. Price was set before knowing attendance. Wasn't much of a difference in attendance. There might have differences in the amount of sessions, but kids per session was the same. And a lot of our meets had Xcel and JO at the same meet.

I think they charge higher meet fees for XCel gymnasts because they are doing custom routines. It's a lot more work to judge what is essentially an optional routine than the same routine over and over again like what happens in compulsaries. I bet the judges charge more and thus the meet passes the cost on to the participants.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back