WAG Xcel silver/gold skill tips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am currently in xcel silver(just starting) They let me do it, though I dont have some of the skills. I need help with a kip, bhs, fhs, aerial,bt, press handstand and back walk over on beam. some of these skils are not neccessary for xcel silver but I want to have them to be prepared for gold. One of my many struggles on bars is that I feel I am too tall. I can barely do glide swing on the low bar (being 5'3"). Also, for these skills, my main problem is mental blocks. I could probably do a perfect rbh if i just wasnt so scared to do it. Another problem I have is for the aerials and bt, my hands just instinctively go down, even if i would have stuck it anyways. If any of you have any tips to get good at these skills I would like to hear them (btw, my coach is pregnant, so she cant spot me.)

That's a lot of very different skills. Are you doing drills and progressions at practice? That's what your coach should be setting up, especially if she is minimizing spotting.

If you can do your back walkover on a line on the floor, you can do it on a beam. Start on a low beam and build your confidence until you can move up.

You are also not too tall. I used to love proving my athletes wrong on this one, as I am 5'6" and even as a 30 year old long retired gymnast could still kip on the smallest bar set.

My advice is to take a step back and focus on what you can do. And also listen to the guidance and corrections given by your coach. You listed a bunch of skills that are progressive in nature meaning your coach will build you up to them by incorporating drills and strength/conditioning. If this is your first time in a team environment it is entirely expected that you may be lacking in some areas and that's OK - your training will solve for that! As far as the mental blocks - give it time. My guess is that some of it is due to not being physically ready for the skill and as you get stronger and learn proper technique the skills will come. For other skills that you have but are just 'scary' (like beam skills), just take it step by step. Start by doing on the line then move to low beam with stacked mats then remove the stacked mats, etc, etc until you have moved up to the high beam with no assists.

I am currently in xcel silver(just starting) They let me do it, though I dont have some of the skills. I need help with a kip, bhs, fhs, aerial,bt, press handstand and back walk over on beam. some of these skils are not neccessary for xcel silver but I want to have them to be prepared for gold. One of my many struggles on bars is that I feel I am too tall. I can barely do glide swing on the low bar (being 5'3"). Also, for these skills, my main problem is mental blocks. I could probably do a perfect rbh if i just wasnt so scared to do it. Another problem I have is for the aerials and bt, my hands just instinctively go down, even if i would have stuck it anyways. If any of you have any tips to get good at these skills I would like to hear them (btw, my coach is pregnant, so she cant spot me.)
Sorry if my grammar was a bit bad or if there were any typos I just had to type this kinda quickly and on a laggy device so I couldn't correct some of the stuff

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back