YAY!! But... NO!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Today, I finally worked up the courage to do my cartwheel on high beam my myself, after landing 10 in a row (without missing a single one!) with a huge mat under me. And I did it, and only had to jump off after I got my first foot on 2 or 3 times!! I didn't even miss a foot once!

So then, during open gym, I went to go practice my cartwheels again, and I started on the beam with the big mat to warm up. The first time, I didn't even land my cartwheel. My feet were an inch away. The second time, I got a foot on, the fell off. 3rd I slipped off, 4th I FINALLY made it, and 5th I slipped off again.

So, the point is, although I did my cartwheel on high beam and landed it a bunch of times, I can't seem to walk away and then do it again later.

This is only one example. It happened when I first learned my pullover, back hip circle, back walkover, front walkover, and many more skills. So... any advice on sticking cartwheels AND on how to do the same new skill with a large break in between?? Thanks!!

Practice, practice, practice. It is extremely rare to get a skill for the first time and then to be able to repeatedly replicate it! Congrats on getting that cartwheel... you'll get better the more you practice it!

Getting it once for a few times doesn't mean mastering. It takes time to have it as a second hand thing. the only thing you can do is practice, practice, practice. Eventually your body will remember the position it needs to be in. You will get it consistantly eventually don't be in a rush it will come. it took my DD 5 months before she had it consistantly

Okay, I didn't actually think about that... oops! :p But thanks, and okay, I will keep trying til I get it consistently. Thanks again!

good job on making the cartwheel!
as others have said, its takes a while to be able to get a skill consistently. What i would say however, would be to just get back up and keep trying until you're confident. Dont get too upset with yourself if u dont make it everytime. Another thing, is when i just learnt my cartwheel and stuck heaps, i soon found i was just trying to get on, and was no longer thinking about what i was doing. So just make sure you're doing t-hands, looking in the places you normally do and dont get to upset with yourself, if you dont make it every time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back