Parents Young gymnast struggling with vault

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

EllibugGymmie

Proud Parent
Hello! My dd just started preschool gymnastics 6 months ago. They moved her to level 2 preteam. She's 4 1/2.
She keeps up with the older girls and can do most things. But for whatever reason she cannot figure out how to run and jump on the springboard for vault. Any tips? I've tried running with her and jumping with both feet, it's not clicking .

Hello! My dd just started preschool gymnastics 6 months ago. They moved her to level 2 preteam. She's 4 1/2.
She keeps up with the older girls and can do most things. But for whatever reason she cannot figure out how to run and jump on the springboard for vault. Any tips? I've tried running with her and jumping with both feet, it's not clicking .
Lol good for you for trying but most of theses skills seem to come from working it at the gym. I remember my dd took while and she didn't have preteam experience so your dd is already ahead of the game :)

We have a little bit too! They are too much fun at this age :). This is probably the one thing she hasn't had a struggle with however I have seen it from a few others her age. What I can tell is that there is no reason to stress or concern yourself with helping. I have seen little ones go from practically face planting into the mat bc their run and hurdle were so off and then the following week they are rocketing up and over the Level 3 height mat. It's literally like a light was flipped. Good luck and enjoy the ride...we def are!

I have a young gymnast who started L3 at her age too What her coach told her that worked really well was long strides and running as fast as she could with no short steps. She's always scored high on vault because I guess her run is so good. I would not be concerned at all though, the coaches will handle it and help her and as others have said, it will just click with her.

My daughter had the hardest time "getting" vault. She was L2 as a 6- and 7- yo. It all finally clicked and she worked hard during the yr. she ended up getting her highest vault at the State Meet w a 9.35 and first place! I have asked here before for advice because it is still her weakest event. Some suggested plyo...at your DD's age I would give it time :)

My daughter didn't have a problem with running but landing on the board with 2 feet was a nightmare coach tried all sorts eventually we told her to squash the pretend bugs on there with both feet as the same time so simple and worked first time lol

It will click when she is ready. I've taught preschool classes, and it seems that the run -hurdle on the vault takes a different kind of coordination than many of the other beginning gymnastics skills and it just comes as the brain-body matures. I've had little preschoolers that "get" the vault on their first day in the gym but struggle with every other skill and I've had preschoolers that are rock stars on all events except that run-hurdle. You can work it and stress yourself (and her) out, or you can just wait for her to get it. Either way, she will get it….

I always feel that I need a drink after watching my 6 yr old
DD practice vault( think her coaches do too). Her run is never the same run twice, sometimes fast, sometimes slow, sometimes 11 steps, sometimes 13, sometimes she really punches the springboard, other times nada. I figure at some point it will click and at least now she has the handstand flat back down pat. Provided she hits the springboard:).

The hurdle can take some time to master. As a coach, I would use hoola hoops on the floor to show "jump from one foot to two feet." She will get it eventually.

DD finally figured out that she was starting her run on the wrong foot. Once she switched feet, her vault got better. She still has some kinks to work out, but the fluidity is much better.

I've posted this many times so will keep it very brief. Vault will come with age, growth and experience. My DD2 is petite and could not vault to save her life at (old) Level 4 (age 6) thru most of level 7. Then "something" clicked.... and at age 12, became Regional vault champ and placed 2nd at Easterns.

Vault = Patience

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back