Parents Your DD/DS... Go!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thought it would be fun for us parents to add a personal touch to the posts about our aspiring gymnasts!

My DD:
6 years old (7 in August)
New Level 3 beginning in June
Favorite event vault
Favorite gymnast Makayla Marone
Loves OU gymnasics, Taylor Swift, dogs, the beach, swimming, camping
Wants to be an OU Gymnast, gymnastics coach, and a Vet
Thinks all furniture has apparatus potential
Recently ate cinnamon bug crunch (waxworms) for 1000 adventure points - then refused to try oatmeal, go figure!
Super competitive, very strong, great sense of humor, empathetic and nurturing, messy, no fear, fancy-footwork challenged, focused but not serious, smart, well-rounded....
I could go on but you get the idea!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using ChalkBucket mobile app

My DD just turned 7 a few weeks ago. She just finished her first competitive season as a L3 and is currently uptraining for new L4,(When can we stop saying new and old? :confused:).
Her favorite gymnast is Gabby Douglas. Her favorite event is all of them. She is really excited about getting to learn how to go over the vault and a little anxious about getting her kip!

She's incredibly stubborn and gets annoyed at times with drill after drill when she just wants to go for it! She's very much a dare devil, which in turn gives me regular heart attacks. She is most definetly not a girly girl. She has no time for dolls or fairies or anything of the sort. She lives and breathes gym and horses. My parents own a large ranch and she loves spending weekends there riding horses and helping Papa work cows. If elite gymnastics doesn't work out in her favor she plans to be a barrel racer/trick rider LOL.

She is also beyond witty. She routinely cracks me up and horrifies me with the things that come out of her mouth. Pretty much she is the child that very much keeps me on my toes!

My DD:
Age-11
Level-9
Favorite Event-depends on the day ;) She loves them all! The one that is her favorite is usually the one she struggled on, and recently "got it".
Favorite Gymnast-Shawn Johnson and Gabby Douglas
My dd is very much like okie's-She wants to be a college gymnast, a gymnastics coach and a vet (she is a HUGE animal lover and is very nurturing).
She is constantly doing something gym related at home-conditioning, hand stands, walking on her hands, walking on "beams", any skill she can get away with, watching youtube videos, reading about gymnasts, etc.
DD is crazy, too, always goofing off! :)

My daughter is 7. She is finishing up developmental and starting new 3 in the fall. Favorite event: does trampoline count? Favorite gymnast : herself. She is a serious, thoughtful, literal, shy, anxious, creative and high-strung child. When she was five, she was explaining to her 2 year old brother, "See, Quinnie, that's what happens to you when you get dead, you turn into a stone" (as we were passing a cemetary). She loves art and is always drawing. Her biggest passion is anything animal-related. She is always pretending to be an animal (after the movie "Bolt" came out she was a dog for a full 6 months), and will readily recite tedious facts about animals in great detail- go ahead, ask her what animal is the heaviest, the fastest, or has the best eyesight. She'll know.

Thinks all furniture has apparatus potential

This made me giggle, because I can totally relate! :)

My DD is 10, competed Level 3 in the fall, and is now on the Level 4/new Level 3 team.
Favorite event: bars
Favorite gymnast: McKayla Maroney
Loves gymnastics, first and foremost. The compulsory gymnasts didn't practice during spring break, and she was going crazy without being able to go to the gym. She is very social, spending the night with a different friend almost every weekend. She loves anything crafty/creative and loves cooking.
Her greatest gymnastics assets are her flexibility and her long lines. She's a tiny girl compared to others her age, but has really long legs for her body, which makes her a very "pretty" gymnast.
She also loves OU....her dad grew up near there and eats and breathes OU. The other gymnastics programs she loves are LSU and Ohio State. Not sure why LSU, but a very sweet girl from our gym went to Ohio State on scholarship last year, so that's why she loves them.

This was a great idea! Thanks!

DD is 8 years old
Competing L7 this spring
Favorite event is bars, although her best event is beam
Physique is body builder (think a pint sized Sigourney Weaver in Alien)
She loves gym. Her best friends are ger gym friends. Did I mention she loves gym? She wants to go to the Olympics one day, but doesn't every 8 year old?
favorite gymnasts are Shawn Johnson and Aly Raisman
She'd like to be a dentist ?!?!?
she loves to be funny. She tries sarcasm, but is having troubles walking the fine line of appropriate. She HATES dresses and thinks athletic wear is the only thing a girl needs (that and an iPad). She is one of the most caring people I've met.
She's awesome :)

My dd is 12, a level 7.
She recently told me beam was her favorite event right now and I about fell over because she hated it with a passion all year. Favorite gymnast is either Shawn Johnson or Dominique Mocieanu (sp?).
She loves to read. She is making all sorts of progress in the gym right now and it is a very exciting time!

DS is a 10 year old training level 7/8 right now.
His favorite event is high bar, but his best event(s) are floor and pommel.
He is crazy strong and focused.
His favorite gymnast is Sam Mikulak and John Oroszco.
He love gym, doe gymnastics everywhere we go. Home, school, stores, open areas, you name it.
He is smart and caring, and quite funny, being a class clown at both school and gymnastics. Sometime we have to remind him to be just alittle focused!

My DD:
9 years old
Completed her level 5 season in Feb, will test out level 6 next month-maybe compete either new level 6 or prep-op platinum- depends on her HC's decision
Favorite event: bars
Favorite gymnast: Shawn Johnson
Loves gymnastics, basketball, soccer, running (if you can't tell, she loves sports :D). Also loves redecorating her room
Wants to be an Olympic athlete then professional athlete. :) She also wants to coach gymnastics
Thinks our house should be turned into her own personal gym
She's strong and competitive with a terrific work ethic- not sure that I was that driven at her age. Compassionate and fiercely loyal to her teammates/"sisters". She is a tomboy with a quick sense of humor. Gymnastics has really given her confidence. She's not as shy as she used to be.

My DD:
10 years old
Just finished L6 and will compete new L6 or new L7 depending on getting giants.
Favorite event is bars but her strongest event is beam
Favorite: Jordyn Weber and Gabby Douglas
Build- small but has the longest legs ever. Makes for very pretty beam and bar lines.
Loves gymnastics but also could make a good case for long distance running.
She loves to be outside and always moving.
She also plays the violin.
Her temperament is very quiet/shy. Doesn't have a lot to say to most people but is very friendly and I am told very coachable. Tell her what to do and she'll go do it.

DD#1 - 6 years old (7 in less than a month)
currently training level 2, but will be competing AAU L2 next year and training L3 (our gym has said nothing about the levels changes - it may not be an issue with our AAU organization and may only come into play for those kids who switch to USAG around L4 or 5)
favorite event is bars
I don't think she has a favorite gymnast yet.
Build - tiny. She's about 43" tall and 43 pounds - incredibly petite and lean.
She says she wants to be a vet when she grows up.
Loves gymnastics, but also plays tee-ball and participates in Girl Scouts and 4-H
She loves to be outside and anything music and aspires to play the flute and piano. She is a competitive girly girl who is quite friendly and social.

DD#2 - 4 years old (5 this summer)
is currently training L1 and will move to L2 in the fall. Not competing yet.
Her build is very similar to my 6 year old. They are nearly the same size and share lots of their clothes. She is very sweet and sensitive, but not nearly as much of a social butterfly as her older sister. She prefers to have a small close-knit group of friends.
She loves gymnastics and will also play tee-ball this summer.
She is very quiet and shy but is very focused in the gym. Until recently, she had no aspirations to be on a team, but when her sister was chosen, she felt left out.

DD#3 - 2 years old (3 this summer)
She isn't officially in the levels yet, but she loves her class. The joy on her face when she goes to gymnastics is inspiring. She gets excited just to see her leotard and has so much fun. The coaches for her classes are amazing.
She also loves to be outside and is very full of energy. She is quite friendly and independent.

Last edited:
DD is 12, almost 13. Competed level 5 and 6 this year. I have no idea what level she will do next year with all of the changes!

She loves gymnastics and singing in a select chorus in school. She is incredibly hard on herself and expects to be good and do well at whatever she takes seriously. She has a big heart, loves animals, is sweet, polite, beautiful, and hardworking. She amazes me every day of her life and could not make me more proud!!

DD is 8, turning 9 soon.
Just finished level 7, no clue what level she will be next year.
National TOPS team member and hoping to make it again as a 9 year old this year.
She wants to be a farmer, with a gym on her farm.
She is silly, sweet, seems like an open book because she is so friendly but actually is tightlipped and internalizes anything emotional or deep. She is bright, hard working, and has a strong religious faith. My favorite quality is her ability to know exactly who she is and doesn't let anyone make her second guess herself.
She also takes ballet, plays piano and is taking an art camp this summer.
I beam with pride every moment.

my daughter is 12 and competing level 7 in the fall.
She loves Aly Raisman and Gabby Douglas and Jordyn Wieber
her favorite event and strongest event is beam, beam state champ for level 5 and level 6! she dislikes bars.
Her goals when shes older is to be a chef, but would like to coach gymnastics too.
She is one to get mental blocks easy... shes sensitive, and loves to cheer her teammates on. She competes with herself.
She is a dancer too so she has beautiful lines and dance skills on floor and beam.
She does band and chorus in school, shes in sixth grade with loads of homework!
She plans on continuing with gymnastics through hs and hopes to do it in college...
She has been told she looks like Sabrina Vega..lol

My DD is 8 (9 next month). She competed Xcel Bronze this year but will move to new L3 for next year.

Her favorite event changes almost daily, but she scores highest on bars. Personally, I think her best event is floor. :)

Her favorite gymnast is Gabby Douglas.

Her build is lean but she has long legs and big feet (the better to grip the beam with). She's about 4'2" tall and weighs only 52 pounds. She has six-pack abs and is one wiry little girl.

In addition to gymnastics she plays competitive fastpitch softball, where she is the pitcher for a 10-under girls team. I'm not sure if she can continue to do both if her gymnastics practice schedule increases next year.

Personality-wise, she is stubborn, determined, strong-willed, and fierce, and she totally tries to run the household. She is curious and needs to be in constant motion, which usually means she's doing gymnastics all over the house. She's also very intense and that helps her focus, but it also means she tends to worry a lot. She's smart and perceptive - so smart that it's almost scary! Sometime she gets all silly and she loves potty humor, much to my disgust. I'm hoping that's a phase that she'll be out of soon. She is a good balance of girly-girl and tomboy because she doesn't mind getting all dirty on the softball field, but she also likes dressing up and having her hair curled. She seems to be a natural leader because all the other kids seem to flock to her and look to her for direction.

When she grows up she wants to be a doctor, but that's just her back up plan in case being a famous gymnast doesn't work out. :)

Dd is 10 and just finished competing L4.

They train skills in the summer and move girls up according to the skills they have at the end of the summer...so we shall see. Her goal is to score out of L5 (new 4), so that she can move up to prep-op (our gym doesn't do L6--new 5 and does one year of prep-op to prepare for optionals--then they test out of 6 before competing 7---not sure if this will change with new levels) She wants this for two reasons---to get her own routine on floor and because she hates doing cartwheel's on beam--she much prefers the back walkover--seems a bit weird to me, but what do I know? :confused:

Favorite event: not sure she really has one. she really likes doing the skills on bars, but not her best event to compete. Vault is probably her best and beam (except the stupid cartwheel) :)

Dd is shy, but has come out of her shell quite a bit since she started gymnastics.

She also loves singing and dancing. She sings in her choir at school.

At school, she is very competitive and wants to be first/get the highest score on everything. Luckily at gymnastics she is a realist (is a middle of the pack gymnast--score wise) and does well trying to just improve her own scores each meet. She works hard at everything she does.

Her favorite gymnast is Shawn Johnson.

She seems to prefer being upside down than right-side up.

My DD #1 is 13 and no longer takes gymnastics. She never did team, but she did enjoy classes. Unfortunately, her younger sister always outshone her in the gym so it was a source of frustration for her. We both decided that it was time for her to pursue other things. She now focuses more on theatre (which she loves!) and now she does chorus at school. She also spends a lot of time drawing and wants to be an animator.

DD #2 is 10 yrs old and competed level 5 this year and last year. It was definitely good for her to repeat level 5 as she had a great year. I assume that she'll move up and be a new level 5 next year, as she has almost all of those skills now. Her fave gymnast is Aly Raisman, who she has met twice at meet and greets! Her best event is floor, and she struggles most with bars. Her favorite event is floor or beam. She loves gymnastics, her coaches and her teammates! She also loves dance and took ballet and jazz this year. She's very dedicated and focused at everything she does.

Both of my DDs are beautiful and make me proud!!

My DD:
7 years old
Also New Level 3 beginning in June
Favorite event is bars
Favorite gymnast Lloimincia Hall
Loves anything gymnastics, singing, and is desperate to learn guitar like her brother.
Wants to be a teacher or a veterinarian
She is really bummed that our state's meet season is over, but she is excited to be moving up!

DD is 13
She will most likely compete new L7 this season
She HATES beam and usually has a few mental blocks per practice!!
She sings in the choir and made honor choir as well.
She would like to coach one day, has helped many level 4 girls with their kip (so I have been told by some parents)
Has an awesome sense of humor and hates when people are bullies!!
However, there is an alter ego.....she is 13 (enough said!!)

DS Age 8
Competed both Level 4 and Level 5 this year
Still trying to gain all his level 5 skills for next year!! Darn mushroom!!
Also does diving. Not sure yet which he likes better! (hopefully he will soon because my checkbook can't take much more!!)
Also loves playing minecraft and annoying his sister as much as possible which isn't hard!!! Did I mention she's 13?

My DD:
7 years old
Also New Level 3 beginning in June

Question: Just curious, is your DD proficient at new level 3 skills or will she be learning most of them over the summer? My DD is just being introduced to many of the skills on bars. Does this mean she is "uptraining"? She will compete USAG 3 when comp season begins in December.

Oh... and is there a trick or special qualification required for chsnging avatar to a pic? I sized mine correctly and keep getting error messages.:confused:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using ChalkBucket mobile app

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back