Parents 5 y/o need a break? Or not?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I feel pretty confident that once the newness of school and coaching changes die down, she'll be her enthusiastic self again, but if not, a short break, and returning to gymnastics on her own terms, may be just what's needed to re-kindle her passion!

This is exactly what happened to Cait a few years ago. I think she was 5 or 6 and was in our Pre-team program. She was getting tired and she wanted to quit. My wife and I went through all of the same stuff you are talking about but we decided if she wanted to quit that we would schedule a meeting with her HC and she would tell her she was quitting.

So we scheduled the meeting and Cait told her coach that she wanted to quit. Our coach said okay but why don't you just take a few weeks off and see what happens. I will leave the door open for you if you want to come back. So Cait did quit, took off about 2-3 weeks, missed it, went back and her passion has never been greater..

Also similar to Bean, Cait's first meet ever was last November and she scored a 31.35 AA in level 5. Fast forward to mid September (10 months later) and she had a great first season, scoring 9+ on all events, qualified for TOPs and will be competing this year as a level 7 after she (hopefully) scores out of level 6 next month.

A lot can happen in a short time with focus and passion, especially in the 6-10 yr old range...

Hang in there. If it is to be a passion of hers, she will figure that out...

Sean

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back