Members see FEWER ads

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
state-meets-2024.jpg

Lots of State Meets going on right now... talk about them here!

This thread is for ALL... MAG... WAG... Developmental (DP)... Xcel... etc.

Tell us about you or your athlete at the State Meet.

Last edited:
My daughter's L7 season is over, with no state meet. She was doing a drill on a floor bar and managed to sprain her foot. Was really lucky nothing broke, but three weeks out she still can't do any impact on it. I'm glad her coach is being very careful, but it's still a bummer. She missed L5 state meet because of the flu, so we were all looking forward to her getting to go this season.

On the bright side, with all the extra time on bars, she just got her front giants, so that's softening the blow for her, lol.

My daughter's L7 season is over, with no state meet. She was doing a drill on a floor bar and managed to sprain her foot. Was really lucky nothing broke, but three weeks out she still can't do any impact on it. I'm glad her coach is being very careful, but it's still a bummer. She missed L5 state meet because of the flu, so we were all looking forward to her getting to go this season.

On the bright side, with all the extra time on bars, she just got her front giants, so that's softening the blow for her, lol.
I'm glad she's finding a bright side! Such a bummer to miss state. I had a freak accident the morning of my level 7 state - I slipped getting out of the shower at our hotel, and hit my head on the toilet so hard that the toilet actually shattered! I blacked out briefly with a concussion. It was very disappointing, especially because it was the morning of! Hopefully she is looking forward to more off season up training.

I'm glad she's finding a bright side! Such a bummer to miss state. I had a freak accident the morning of my level 7 state - I slipped getting out of the shower at our hotel, and hit my head on the toilet so hard that the toilet actually shattered! I blacked out briefly with a concussion. It was very disappointing, especially because it was the morning of! Hopefully she is looking forward to more off season up training.
That is absolutely wild!! Here I was feeling like she was only a few weeks away, and there you were in the HOTEL ROOM morning of!! I bet your parent(s) were mystified as to how you pulled that off... After being worried as heck, I would imagine.

I feel like as far as missing a big meet, being able to plunge straight into uptraining has its perks, for sure. For her, THIS is the most wonderful time of the year 😄

Reactions: JBS
That is absolutely wild!! Here I was feeling like she was only a few weeks away, and there you were in the HOTEL ROOM morning of!! I bet your parent(s) were mystified as to how you pulled that off... After being worried as heck, I would imagine.

I feel like as far as missing a big meet, being able to plunge straight into uptraining has its perks, for sure. For her, THIS is the most wonderful time of the year 😄
Oh yes, my parents were freaked, especially when I wasn't responding to them and had locked the bathroom door for privacy! They were worried we'd be in trouble with the hotel for breaking the toilet, but the hotel was worried we were going to sue them because apparently our room was missing a bath mat outside the shower! They comped our whole stay and gave us free meals at the restaurant. It was memorable to say the least.

My 8-year-old son received the highest AA score out of all age groups at our level 4 state championships! We expected him to do well in his age group but we didn’t expect him to win the whole thing! That was pretty cool.

I’m particularly happy that my kid went out there with a big smile on his face and supported his teammates, befriended his competitors, and generally had a marvelous time. It was a very positive experience for him.

My kid just had her Level 8 State meet, having a sudden mental block on her back tumbling and her connection on beam (which has been on-and-off for two years). She was super frustrated with herself, but in the end changed up her floor routine, took the deduction, and moved on to make the connection on beam. She ended up 3rd in the AA for her age group and squeaked out the last spot on the Super Seven Regionals team. Gymnastics is never boring!

Oh yes, my parents were freaked, especially when I wasn't responding to them and had locked the bathroom door for privacy! They were worried we'd be in trouble with the hotel for breaking the toilet, but the hotel was worried we were going to sue them because apparently our room was missing a bath mat outside the shower! They comped our whole stay and gave us free meals at the restaurant. It was memorable to say the least.
This story confirms my belief that there's a quota for coordination and grace and gymnasts use up theirs while doing fantastic things on apparatus that most of us wouldn't touch. I know of so many gymnasts who had some kind of freak accident outside of the gym(one I know of broke her ankle just by walking across her bedroom floor). Also, I don't think I've been to an awards ceremony where someone didn't trip on the way to the podium!

...and I'm glad you're okay!

My 9 year old son took 2nd AA in his level 4d1 age division (it was simply called "youngest"), is the state high bar champion, and was 6th of all level 4d1s in the state-- nearly 50 kids! Two of his teammates were in the next division up, winning 1st and 3rd, and they were 1st and 4th overall! Super exciting day! They took 2nd as a team, missing 1st by 0.4! I'm so proud of him, and looking forward to regionals in a few weeks.

I'll start out... unfortunately my son got strep throat before the state meet and had to petition through to Regionals. My daughter has her first L10 state meet this weekend!
Somehow I missed that you had a male gymnast as well! What level? sorry he missed state. Thankfully, plenty of time to rest up and feel better for regionals!

Reactions: JBS
View attachment 8983

Lots of State Meets going on right now... talk about them here!

This thread is for ALL... MAG... WAG... Developmental (DP)... Xcel... etc.

Tell us about you or your athlete at the State Meet.
I had my L7 States Competition this Saturday…Vault and Bars had went well but I completely blew it on beam after messing up my back walkover back handspring and fell. I still had floor after so I couldn’t be hung up on it. After the meet, I still feel terrible about beam. I really wish I had landed it and successfully did that routine. My teammates qualified for regionals but after messing up that beam routine, I had lost my chance. Not the best states competition.

My daughter had slip up on her first event that set a terrible tone for the rest of the meet, and she didn’t medal in any event or qualify for regionals. Long, sad car ride home.

She had a great season until States: improved AA at each successive meet and had PBs on every event, including massive strides on her nemesis the beam. We are trying to get her to focus on those successes and reinforcing it was just a bad day to have a bad day; that one meet doesn’t define her. Still stinks to see her so bummed.
Womp womp.

Somehow I missed that you had a male gymnast as well! What level? sorry he missed state. Thankfully, plenty of time to rest up and feel better for regionals!

Yep... have a 13 (14 year old age group) year old son that is a L9 at the club next door to us. They have a great boys program.

Also... my L10 daughter qualified to Regionals!

My daughter had a positive state meet yesterday. She’s a 3rd year level 10, but was injured/recovering the first 2 season, so this was her first year competing all 4 events. She didn’t have any amazing scores and had a fall on bars which is usually her best event, but she pulled off beam and floor (best floor by far all season!) and qualified to regionals by over a point. We are happy for her! And her team won first place with some amazing routines and scores from our seniors!

I had an okay meet. Had big wobble on beam, but came out alright, I was struggling in warmup anyway. Floor was a bigger disappointment, I was sticking a landing in warmup, but took several steps in comp. Those’d tenths put me in fourth AA instead of third. Vault … was vault. And bars went amazing!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back