Parents 8 Year Olds- Height/Weight/Level

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

twocurlygirlz

Proud Parent
Was wondering if there is a correlation between height/weight/level- specifically for 8 year olds- was hoping everyone would participate-here's mine:

8- just turned 8
53 lbs
45inches

Level- xp/6

wonder if height at this age might correlate to level proficiency/ability

I'm not sure there is a correlation either. Fabulous college level gymnast at our university last year was 5'9"

wonder if height at this age might correlate to level proficiency/ability
Are you also perhaps wondering about if this is an indicator of potential? Future success?
If there was a really strong correlation then they would have noticed by now and any girls over a certain height at a certain age would get a cheery wave as they were shown the door (assuming shorter is better).

Edit: I meant without regard to their current proficiency/ability

8 next month
49 inches
53 lbs
Xcel Gold, hopefully scoring out in the summer and doing (Prob 6) in the fall

Around the age of 14
5 foot 4 inches
105 pounds
level 4, but with many level 6 skills (need to score out)
I was doing do excel gold or platinum at my old gym but my new gym I'm only a level 4

I don't think it relates much

I was curious so I just looked back on FB. Found a picture from almost exactly four years ago of a group of girls who were then 8 and 9 years old, all lined up to compete at their third (old) L5 meet. There were 11 of them and they ranged from very tiny to pretty tall, and their body types were also a big range. Two have left gymnastics. One moved to another state. All the rest of them are competing L8 or L9 this year at the same gym. Wow, how time has flown and how far they and we have come together!

totally seems like no real correlation and ProfMom that observation is great- I was hoping that body type now at 8 won't determine or indicate any future success or failure-- nice to see the diff. age/body types all excelling in their levels, etc.

One of my classes has an age range of 7 (almost 8) to 8 1/2 years old. The only thing I notice at the PRESENT time is that the heavier, sturdier kids do better on vault and things that utilize that springiness of the spring floor (punch fronts, etc...) and the 'skinnier', slighter kids are better at bars! I have no doubt this will all change as their bodies fill in and mature. :)

8 years old
51 inches
56 lbs

She is very willowy and thin, but not skinny. Finished level 4 as 8 year old state champ. Training 5. On shorter side at school. Tall for age at gym.

Reactions: Dka
When my DD was a short, just turned 7 YO, our gym moved up a girl with fewer skills, lower scores who was a taller 9 YO and told us our DD would struggle too much with bars and vault at the next level (old 5 I think it was). It seems being super short early on may slow you down, but then speed you up in the long run?

DD now 8, 48", 55 lbs, L. 5, training L. 7 (recent bars state champ, still struggling on vault)

One of my classes has an age range of 7 (almost 8) to 8 1/2 years old. The only thing I notice at the PRESENT time is that the heavier, sturdier kids do better on vault and things that utilize that springiness of the spring floor (punch fronts, etc...) and the 'skinnier', slighter kids are better at bars! I have no doubt this will all change as their bodies fill in and mature. :)

This is very true for my tall and thin 8 yr old

My Dd is 8 about 54in and around 52lb. She is competing Xcel Bronze is possible prep for Level 4 and also Level 5/6 in T&T. She is tall and very thin.

Dd will be 8 in March and is currently competing 4 and training level 5, she is about 40 lbs and 42 inches tall. She is very small, shortest out of all the second graders and some of the first graders are tall than her.

7.5yo

52.5" (approximately)
60lbs
L5

There is only one girl in her group that is her size. Everyone else is dramatically smaller.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back