Parents Achilles pain?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Rapunzel

Proud Parent
Dd1 complains of sore heels, usually on days she's exerted herself (gymnastics days, cross country running, long walks). She's 9, she doesn't do loads of gymnastics (3hrs/wk) so i don't think it is necessarily gymnastics related but I thought I'd ask on here if anyone had similar experiences and any ideas on what might help.
When she is sore she tends to walk on tip toes (which I guess shortens the tendon?)

Have you looked up Sever's disease?

I'm sure there's people way more knowledgeable will come along shortly with direct experience, but this seems to be common in growing, active children.

DD had pains in her Achilles. We stretched her heels by making her stand with her toes on a ledge and dropping her heels down to the ground. She was 6 or 7 when it happened & in a growth spurt. She wore high heels to school bc she said they didn't hurt her leg.

Definitely look up severs, that is what it sounds like. DO not let her walk barefoot anywhere outside of the gym, that will help. Stretching, icing and heel cups can all help as well. They do grow out of it, but it can take a long time.

I am no doctor, but with two kids in gymnastics and seven years under my belt, I would say at 9yo, sounds like severs.
My kids doctor would press at the base of the back of he foot. (Behind the heel) And then on either side of the back heel.
He said if it hurts it's most likely severs. An X-ray can show it too.
Nothing you can really do about it other than stretch and ice. You can also stay off it for a few weeks.
Ps, my NON gymnast son had it too at 9. He is active.

My DD had the same issue last year. It was Servers. We stretched, used Cheetah Cups, ice and ibuprofen. When it really hurt she would do her tumbling on the tumble track and limit the time on the actual floor. It seems to have cleared up lately.

Dd1 complains of sore heels, usually on days she's exerted herself (gymnastics days, cross country running, long walks). She's 9, she doesn't do loads of gymnastics (3hrs/wk) so i don't think it is necessarily gymnastics related but I thought I'd ask on here if anyone had similar experiences and any ideas on what might help.
When she is sore she tends to walk on tip toes (which I guess shortens the tendon?)

it's cumulative...

Reactions: sce
Thank-you so much for all your replies.
On looking it up, it does sound like a textbook case of severs.
She's a very active girl & it does seem to be getting worse, however it's not been bad enough that she's needed painkillers/seemed to stop her from doing anything.
So at this stage, would you take her to her GP, to look into physio referral? Or can anyone recommend some exercises that would help, the step one that gym mom mentioned sounds good - what sort of frequency?

I'm not a doctor, just a mom so I can't prescribe this exercise regiment. However, these are the exercises that helped my DD when she had Severs last season. All of these exercises can be looked up online for more details.
-Ankle Pump
-Ankle Alphabet
-Ankle Circles
-Toe Curl
-Dorsiflection w/resistance
-Plantar Flexion w/resistance
-Eversion w/resistance
-Inversion w/resistance
-Toe Raise
-Soleus Stretch
-Gastroc Stretch

I'd have her checked to be sure, but if it is Sever's, have her do the exercises, and get her a heel cup for the affected foot/feet. http://www.gymsupply.com/heelprotectiontulischeetahsoldoneheelpadperpackage.aspx

Icing after practice will also help. If it gets bad, she may need a little time off hard landings to recover. DD's coach had my daughter practice for two weeks under the restriction "no landings that make a noise."

Both of mine are in heel cups at the moment. Of all of the aches and pains associated with gymnastics, this one really isn't all that bad. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back