WAG Along the thread of "lines" and wonky hands

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Canadian_gym_mom

Proud Parent
I know there are deductions for feet not pointed during skills, but what about hands during skills? I ask because my dd does this wonky "gun pointing" thing with her hands in the middle of all her beam flight elements. The only reason we know is that in the photos from the meet you see it on her aerial, side somi and tuck on the pics capturing her mid air!

Just because i can't see it on the video i know the judges might see it, so would there be a deduction for this? And would it depend on the level?

In Australia, we have this thing called "inappropriate gesture" which can be used for point deductions in a routine. Maybe you have it in the US too. One judge we know uses it for gun hand shapes, blowing a kiss to the judges, bottom wiggles etc. I hope that your daughter never gets this particular judge. ;-)

In Australia, we have this thing called "inappropriate gesture" which can be used for point deductions in a routine. Maybe you have it in the US too. One judge we know uses it for gun hand shapes, blowing a kiss to the judges, bottom wiggles etc. I hope that your daughter never gets this particular judge. ;-)

Haha lol I'm with that judge. Yuck to all that stuff.

Honestly, if it's just a weird hand thing in the middle of an acro skill, the judges are probably not paying attention to her hands (except to see if they are on the beam). We are looking for height, amplitude, squeezed knees, pointed feet, flight, and everything else.

Now, if it is an (intentional) obscene gesture, judges could take a deduction for "unsportsmanlike conduct." They could also take an artistry deduction, but we are mostly looking at this in dance skills, choreography, and connecting movements.

Omg my dd does a version of the weird "gun hand" too! First two fingers pointed out, and the rest of her fingers clenched in a fist. She does it when she tumbles...doesn't even realize it. I don't see it until we look at the post meet photos. No idea if she has been deducted, but glad She's not he only one!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back