Parents Anyone have trampoline regrets?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jeb Jones

Proud Parent
Tramplines OMG!

I know this is a hot button topic that has been discussed ad-nausem, so I apologize for starting another thread. I'm wondering if any parents on this list have specific trampoline regrets that they would care to share.

My DD has wanted a tramp since well before she became a gymnast. We've always followed our pediatrician's advice that this is just a bad idea (nothing to do with gymnastics). However, I am rethinking this decision in terms of a risk/benefit analysis (yes, I'm a math geek). IMO, the dark side of trampolines is the real risk of neck or spinal cord injury - but the same could be said of playgrounds and many other activities.

Somewhere, there's a line between irresponsible stupidity and helicopter parenting. I think that a certain amount of exploration and risk-taking in youth is necessary, and yet there are some activities where the risks clearly will outweigh any benefit. Where does the trampoline fall (no pun intended)? Now that my daughter is older (11), it would be particularly nice to have an available activity that will be more attractive to her than staring at a screen.

I feel that as a gymnast, having supervised experience on trampolines at the gym, she will actually be safer on a trampoline than an enthusiastic non-gymnast with no prior experience.

To be clear, I'm not worried about how having a trampoline at home will affect her gymnastics skills.

I'm sure I will see the usual replies about how bad an idea this is, but I'm really looking for any specific stories from the parents of actual gymnasts. Please share. Thanks.

-J

Just also bear in mind how hard tramps are on the body. The forces exerted on the lower back are pretty brutal.

My only regret was buying it and then it didn't get used enough to justify the cost- they were practicing so much that it kinda just sat until I eventually resold it. It was a lot of hassle (and $$) to buy/bring home/set up, and it mostly collected leaves.

I've been considering a trampoline myself. I have two gymnasts, age 6 and 10. They have been taught how to use the trampoline properly by their coaches. I feel having them use a trampoline at home, one at a time, is different than a trampoline park with multiple people who may or may not use good judgment. My other reason is that I'm really tired of them using our furniture, mainly couches and beds as trampolines. I think a real trampoline is safer than the couch.

My only regret was buying it and then it didn't get used enough to justify the cost- they were practicing so much that it kinda just sat until I eventually resold it. It was a lot of hassle (and $$) to buy/bring home/set up, and it mostly collected leaves.

I had this same issue. No use.

We have one. There are rules. They are not allowed to be on it without an adult "on". It has an enclosure and the springs are on the outside, only way I would have one. I believe there are tramps now available that limit height/power of jumping as well.

My daughter has never used it for gymnastic "flipping".

We thus far, in 6 years of use, we have not had an issue. And yes there is a first time for everything.

Many things are dangerous, especially when not used as intended.

So when I hear of an accident, be it a bike, swimming/diving, 4 wheeling, skiing. My first question is how did it happen? No helmet on the bike while riding it on a ledge..... Diving in the shallow end of the pool? umping in a pool without proper clearance or room? Or swimming in the deep end, beyond your capabilities with no supervision?

For tramps... Too many people jumping at the same time? Tramp without an enclosure? Tramp with springs inside the enclosure and unprotected? Exceeding the weight limit? Doing more then jumping? Tramp not assembled safely and on level ground? Because those things matter.

Use as intended matters and is important when we made our decision and allow the use to continue.

JMO

We've had one for 2 years and I have no regrets. Dd loves playing on it both alone and with a couple of friends. She is on it regularly just bouncing around and having fun. No issues so far.

I've been considering a trampoline myself. I have two gymnasts, age 6 and 10. They have been taught how to use the trampoline properly by their coaches. I feel having them use a trampoline at home, one at a time, is different than a trampoline park with multiple people who may or may not use good judgment. My other reason is that I'm really tired of them using our furniture, mainly couches and beds as trampolines. I think a real trampoline is safer than the couch.

Same here. I prefer them to jump on a trampoline (supervised and with rules) than on my couch. We also have a small low beam at home, because I was tired of catching her using the footboard of my bed as one. But we have rules with that as well. She can practice turns, jumps, and handstands, but nothing else.

Reactions: sce
Same here. I prefer them to jump on a trampoline (supervised and with rules) than on my couch. We also have a small low beam at home, because I was tired of catching her using the footboard of my bed as one. But we have rules with that as well. She can practice turns, jumps, and handstands, but nothing else.

If mine jumped on my couch I told them to get off and show some respect.

We had one for one summer then we moved and sold the trampoline during the move. I simply just didn't like the responsibility. We live in neighborhoods where kids run all over (which I love, my kids are always outside playing) but I felt that I was constantly "on watch". Had to make sure all kids knew the rules, had to watch kids to make sure they were obeying the rules. Then a random, unknown kid would show up and I felt terrible because if I didn't know the parent and have permission for them to jump, they weren't allowed on which made me feel bad for the kid. My stress is much less without the trampoline and I'm not constantly having to look out my windows to make sure the rules are being followed. My DD gets enough trampoline time at gym. Does she enjoy a trampoline? Yes, but I enjoy my peace of mind. They can find something else to do.

If you are going to get one, then at lease abide by a few concrete rules. Don't allow more than one kid on at a time. Don't allow for anyone ever to go under the trampoline and NEVER store anything under the trampoline!!! You would be shocked at how many injuries happen from kids bouncing and hitting the top of a lawnmower or something stored under a tramp. other than that I don't recommend them at home and neither does your homeowners insurance. :)

We don't have a trampoline, but our neighbor does. Their main problem is the neighbor kids who show up and play unsafely/roughly on it. So think well about whether you want to be responsible for neighborhood kids playing on your trampoline. They might enter your backyard without permission or your knowledge (these ones do).

We don't have a trampoline, but our neighbor does. Their main problem is the neighbor kids who show up and play unsafely/roughly on it. So think well about whether you want to be responsible for neighborhood kids playing on your trampoline. They might enter your backyard without permission or your knowledge (these ones do).
We have a lock on ours.

I had no regrets until the neighbor girl broke her elbow getting off of the trampoline a few weeks ago. Now I'm ready to burn it.

We've had a tramp for 3 years. My kids are 3,6,8,10- the two oldest are my gymmies. We have no net, just pads over the springs.
We do live out in the country, so no neighbors (and also no parks etc to walk to). Ours get used all.the.time. Never had an injury. We allow multiple kids on, but that's when they are just playing around (most recently, the tramp was a baby dragon nursery lol). If they are doing any tricks only one person is allowed on. Only things like handstand -flatback for DD8, BHS for DD10, RO, CW, etc.
The other day someone suggested to my dd that she try a back tuck, but she immediately replied "No, my coach says only things I'm really solid on are allowed".
My kids are relative cautious and are rule-followers, so that increases my comfort level with having the trampoline.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back