Parents Article re; SafeSport

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Apparently there are new safesport rules coming out? They seem less restrictive. I do not like it....

I find it abhorrent that coaches can interact one on one with athletes outside of the gym "with parents permission". At the gym we just left this happened ALOT and translated to quite blatant favor towards the gymnast involved INSIDE the gym. Sleepovers, swimming, shopping, bike rides....not OK, not ever.

I find it abhorrent that coaches can interact one on one with athletes outside of the gym "with parents permission". At the gym we just left this happened ALOT and translated to quite blatant favor towards the gymnast involved INSIDE the gym. Sleepovers, swimming, shopping, bike rides....not OK, not ever.

I agree 100%. That is the way kids/families are groomed. And if they are not, it is just not professional! I loved that part of this article!

If this is for all Olympic sports, why do they only have gymnasts photos in the headline. Sheesh.

Also MANY coaches are parents and some were forced to basically have notes that said "your child is visiting as a friend of my daughter" because they couldn't officially have any minor with a USAG number over their house.

Yup. The idea that parental permission is enough to stop an abuser flies in the face of everything we've learned the last few years. Parents were in the freaking room while their children were abused. I certainly don't know what a perfect policy would look like, but implementing a policy this flawed runs the risk of giving parents a false sense of security. There's a plan in place so everything'll be fine-- the USOC must know what they're doing. :rolleyes:

Safe Sport is also for other sports, not just gymnastics. Look at the molestation and rape charges in figure skating by partners. Not even coaches. This is probably why gymnasts who are 18 have to be safe sport certified now.

Ug.
(Yes. That's about all there is to say about that. I really thought there was going to be real change this time.)

Remember, Safe Sport is NOT USAG or USOC. They are an independent non-profit. I am hoping that USAG/USOC will go further than these policies.
In the meantime, we can express our displeasure with this change. As parents, we need to let them know about this horrible change in policy.
Here is info for them:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back