WAG Attire deduction

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

stillhoping

Proud Parent
The USAG code of points clearly states no spaghetti straps, no backless leotards. We are about half way through our optional season. I’m seeing a lot of backless leotards at competitions. Does anyone know why a gym would chose a backless leotard, and are judges taking the deduction? Or, if they aren’t taking the deduction, why?

Our team is getting new leotards next year. DD hates these backless leotards. I’m seriously hoping some judges start taking the attire deductions so our coaches aren’t tempted to follow the backless or tiny strap trend.

Attachments

• 69C2BDE9-8DE7-47C8-A909-B86B795F31C3.png
    69C2BDE9-8DE7-47C8-A909-B86B795F31C3.png
    253.8 KB · Views: 185
  • 71979B8C-9DB3-4DCB-B304-FDF47EF1474E.png
    71979B8C-9DB3-4DCB-B304-FDF47EF1474E.png
    160.8 KB · Views: 89
Reactions: sce
I guess technically if there is strapping of any sort across the back (a thick strap or a bunch of thin ones), that it isn’t truly backless. It seems like a rule that would be open to interpretation.

I guess technically if there is strapping of any sort across the back (a thick strap or a bunch of thin ones), that it isn’t truly backless. It seems like a rule that would be open to interpretation.
I think that's probably it. I think spaghetti straps are pretty self explanatory, but backless leaves a lot more room for interpretation. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes up in a judging session at congress to clarify. I'd be curious to know from judges on here if they have received any communication about this with the rising popularity of backless leos this season. It's strange to me that reputable leotard companies would make competition leotards that are not in accordance with USAG policies without at least a warning to gyms ordering them. Unless teams are purchasing practice leos and using as competition?
But then again, I think some teams think they are above the rules or that there is no way such a thing would be enforced. I know some coaches who tell athletes if their leotard doesn't sit above their hip bone it's too big even though that's technically against the rules.

I think that's probably it. I think spaghetti straps are pretty self explanatory, but backless leaves a lot more room for interpretation. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes up in a judging session at congress to clarify. I'd be curious to know from judges on here if they have received any communication about this with the rising popularity of backless leos this season. It's strange to me that reputable leotard companies would make competition leotards that are not in accordance with USAG policies without at least a warning to gyms ordering them. Unless teams are purchasing practice leos and using as competition?
But then again, I think some teams think they are above the rules or that there is no way such a thing would be enforced. I know some coaches who tell athletes if their leotard doesn't sit above their hip bone it's too big even though that's technically against the rules.

Well, the one company really pushing for a rise in popularity (aided by MG Elite) is from Australia, so it doesn't surprise me that they aren't worried about USAG policies. The gyms that order from them should be though.

Our gym's leos are from Ozone. They have a semi-open back, although there is a wide strap across the middle that makes it easy for the girls to wear bras.

If enough parents banded together and refused to pay for an indecent leo, then the gym would most likely find more appropriate Leos.

I don't know about other gyms but we have to pay for our leo before its ordered and we know nothing of what it looks like till it comes in. There is no banding together and not paying as they get our money ahead of time and ask 0 input on what we get. With that being said our gym is pretty conservative on the leo front so it hasnt been an issue but if they ordered something crazy we wouldn't know till it was too late.

I don't know about other gyms but we have to pay for our leo before its ordered and we know nothing of what it looks like till it comes in. There is no banding together and not paying as they get our money ahead of time and ask 0 input on what we get. With that being said our gym is pretty conservative on the leo front so it hasnt been an issue but if they ordered something crazy we wouldn't know till it was too late.

Ditto. We had absolutely no idea what their leotard looked like until it came in the week of their first competition. And it was paid for months before. But our gym is also very conservative when it comes to their leos.

Our girl's wear rubber bands on their ankles when they train bars and most just leave them there all the time. One of my daughters teammates had left her on ( by accident ) at the last meet and got a deduction for it. The judge even wrote it down on her scorecard, but not what the amount of deduction it was.. I wonder how much they deducted!

same with our gym

Our girl's wear rubber bands on their ankles when they train bars and most just leave them there all the time. One of my daughters teammates had left her on ( by accident ) at the last meet and got a deduction for it. The judge even wrote it down on her scorecard, but not what the amount of deduction it was.. I wonder how much they deducted!
inappropriate attire deduction is 0.2 in JO and 0.1 in Xcel (supposed to be taken on the event AFTER it is first noticed AND brought to the attention of the coach so there is an option to fix it).

There is supposed to be a warning for attire issues, to allow it to be corrected. The deduction is only taken of it is not corrected.

I am pretty sure but of course not 100% that the code it says if they notice it ahead they have to warn you and give you a chance to correct it, but if they don't notice it until it's too late to warn you, they do still take the deduction.

Well, the one company really pushing for a rise in popularity (aided by MG Elite) is from Australia, so it doesn't surprise me that they aren't worried about USAG policies. The gyms that order from them should be though.

All the Club Leotards they make for clubs in Australia that I have seen have proper backs as we follow FIG rules in regards to attire. When we competed in the US we were surprised at the number of clubs in leotards that would not be allowed in Australia. I think MG Elite are wearing leotards from their Dance Range as opposed to those from their Competition Catalogue which are all similar to GK etc.

I am pretty sure but of course not 100% that the code it says if they notice it ahead they have to warn you and give you a chance to correct it, but if they don't notice it until it's too late to warn you, they do still take the deduction.
I have seen it both ways. I had a girl with a very visible sports bra and the judges on the first event didn't say anything (though I had already told her it would be a deduction and she opted to take it), judges on the 2nd event gave a warning, and finally on the 3rd event the judges took it and sent a note to the judge on the last event that the deduction had already been taken and not to take it again. It was really interesting to see how it all played out and while I very much appreciated how transparent the judges were in informing me of the deduction, giving ample time to make changes, and making sure the deduction was only taken once- I have a hard time imaging judges are able to do that at larger meets.
But I also once had a girl who left a small, rubbery ankle bracelet on (similar to a rubber band) that I didn't even notice. On our 2nd event the judge informed me that she took the deduction even though no warning was given. Not sure if she assumed judge on event #1 had given the warning? But that was an easy thing to fix before our next event.
But in the case of an entire leotard being considered inappropriate attire, I'm not sure how a warning would do anything unless the whole team has a backup leo in their bag.

MG Elite warmed up with solid black tank tops over their Leos when I saw them. At the time, I wondered why they did that. Now reading this I wonder if it was to keep questionable leos from being noticed?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back