WAG Average age of gymnast to go away to gymnastics camp and why?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What differences do you see between a University Camp and a private club camp? (as far as skills, who is working w/ the kids, etc).

My daughter who is 7 is attending Univ of Nebraska camp for a week w/ her coach and a few other girls in July. She wants to stay in the dorms but I am not ready for that yet- I have the option to stay w/ her but I would rather we stay in a hotel! :)
I'm not big on the university camps for younger gymnasts. The supervision level is much lower. At places like Woodward and IGC, there's a camp counselor in the same cabin room with all the girls. At the university they were in a separate room way down the hall (sometimes on a different floor). Let's just say that our experience was mischief followed with undesirable results (girls out past their curfew, bullying, et al).

She doesn't have to stay in dorm, you can drive her as a commuter, or if an alumni you can pay to stay in room with her at some universities. Great opportunity, especially if it is the direction you want her to head in the future. Lots of networking available at camps!

I have what might be a dumb question.. do gymnasts ever go to regular, non-gym camps? Obviously they wouldn't go for several weeks because you can't take that much time off from training, but how about for a week or two?

Some do I am sure. Mine did about 2 years ago and didn't enjoy it much. It is easier to take the breaks at the lower levels. Once you reach L8 or so it is really hard to take the time off for those types of activities.

I'm considering church camp for my 3 next year. We have short summer breaks though, so it gets hard to fit it all in.

I have what might be a dumb question.. do gymnasts ever go to regular, non-gym camps? Obviously they wouldn't go for several weeks because you can't take that much time off from training, but how about for a week or two?
My 12yo L6 boy just spent a week at Space Camp. Missing a week of gym isn't great but it has to be balanced with the rest of life. He loves gym, but loves all things space as well and Space Camp was a dream of his. His coach was thrilled for him to have the opportunity to go to Space Camp. Coach was a competitive gymnast who quit mid high school because he had other interests. He knows gym is only part of life.

My DD has gone to Zoo camp for the past two years (non sleep-away), and will be going again this summer. Just something fun that interests her :)

She is doing a week at gym camp this summer too. She's 11, a rising L4.
Our reasoning is that this past year was rough for her, challenging and frustrating at times. We started talking about camp to keep her motivated to not quit just because she was frustrated. She's looking forward to having fun "sleep away" camp too. She will have 10 other teammates in her cabin, and we have a coach going.

My DD10 is going to TWU camp this week in Denton, TX, which is close to home. She is L3. She is having a total blast!

Then she is going to Karolyi's July 7-19, two weeks!

She wanted to go for the fun, and probably a little bit to pretend she is an olympic contender training under Bela Karolyi. ;) Goofball! I started a FB page for the parents/gymnasts going to Karolyi's summer camp if interested: https://www.facebook.com/groups/464129877055564/

Her HC is fine with the camps, but she has to make up some of the hours that she will be gone over the rest of the summer.

My purpose in allowing her to go is to have fun, and get more hours in the gym. She started gymnastics late, and they are trying to fast track her so she'll be with girls her age.

My gymmie went to Girl Scout sleepaway camp for a week last year at age 6 and had a blast. It cost less than 1/3 as much as a commercial gym camp, and I had fewer safety concerns.

My DD attends a gym where there are elites, national team members and former Olympians and they are not allowed to attend camps. They do bring in coaches from all other parts of the US to hold camps at their own gym during the summer.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back