Back problems seem never ending :(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

At the beginning of December I started having back problems sever enough for me to miss a week of school from it. I went to the spin doctor and he ordered x-rays and a MRI everything came back clean. I do have a slightly bulging disk though. But there is nothing he can/will do for it . I am in so much pain that mussel relaxer and 4 Advil do NOTHING for my pain. I am litterly dieing I keep missing school and everything from this pain it is a challenge to get through 1 hour off school let alone a whole day. He wouldn't even right me a not for Gym :( so now ontop of everything else I have to suffer through that once or twice a week in school. I want to go to another spin doctor for a second opinion but i don't know. I feel like I will be let down with know answers again. The disk is inoperable and the only time they will operate is if it herniates. Everyday I feel like it gets worse and I feel really bad for this but I wish it would just herniate or they could find something wrong just for the pain to end :(. So I am looking for support and possibly some answers from other mothers/gymnasts on what it could be.

Whats Going On -
Just one day the pain started and never ended that when i missed the weeks off school. I have pain in my lower back right on my spinal cord the goes into my hips and makes them numb sometimes. They cant find anything wrong on a MRI or x-ray other then a slightly bulging disk. I am in so much pain and I just want it all gone so if anyone has any clue even if its small to what could be going on please comment and help me !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks So Much ~Cassandra

What is a spin doctor (aside from the political definition I know)? It sounds like you need to see an orthopedist and possibly a neurologist if you haven't seen one already. If you are in this much pain, you need a clear diagnosis and treatment plan.

See an orthopedist and get a real diagnoses. Right now you just know the symptoms (pain). And perhaps a physiotherapist might be able to work with you? Some guys can do really a lot with their hands and tiny adjustments/massage therapy and stuff like that.

No one here can give advice on medical issues, especially one so serious as this one. Speak to your parents and get them to take you back to the doctor.

Last edited:
I have spoken to my parents my mother will do NOTHING more she just keeps saying that they didnt see anything they cant do anything stop complaning. Im just looking for other options from other mothers/gymnast on here. I even told her yesterday that I wanted to go see another back doctor for a second opinion and she flat out said no you have to be reffered and they wont reffer you because they see nothing wrong :(

You MUST pursue this!!! Chronic back pain can be debilitating if it's not treated. If you need to print these posts out and show them to your mom, so be it. Sometimes stress fractures do NOT show up on an x-ray or MRI. There is another diagnostic test called a SPECT scan that involves injecting some dye and then doing a scan. It WILL show any deformities that the other two tests do not reveal. I am including a link only for informational purposes about what this type of scan can show. I am NOT recommending it or trying to provide any medical advice. I do have personal experience w/my daughter on back issues, scans and this specific test.

Here is the link explaining the test: SPECT Scan

I have spoken to my parents my mother will do NOTHING more she just keeps saying that they didnt see anything they cant do anything stop complaning. Im just looking for other options from other mothers/gymnast on here. I even told her yesterday that I wanted to go see another back doctor for a second opinion and she flat out said no you have to be reffered and they wont reffer you because they see nothing wrong :(

scans mean nothing when you have an HMO and what's in bold. Tumblesqueen is spot on of course...now good luck to that mom conveying that to the HMO.

Chiropractor or Physical Therapist. Bulging disks or very tricky.

Time off is the first step towards dealing with any inflammation. Pounding on it more is just asking for trouble.

I can't comment on your specific case, but I have a disc problem in the lower back and the things that have helped me with my back pain are chiropractic and St. John Neuromuscular Therapy.

Wow that's almost exactly what I've been going through the past 2 years. I've been to 8 or 9 doctors and honestly..there's nothing they can do about it. Getting out of gym would help but I'm assuming that's not even an option for you.
All I can really say is ice it every single night before when you have practice the next day and it will help tons!

Ice is fine but will not help if you have a real problem. I agree with the poster who said copy these replies and show your mother AND involve your school nurse. Dunno is right, HMOs can be problematic. So you need to have your school nurse help you and your mother and find a doctor within your HMO who will find out what your problem is.

My daughter had a back problem that was diagnosed by MRI and subsequent CT scan.

If you do not find out the problem and you continue pounding, you will create a bigger problem.

You need an adult to help you get the help you need!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back