Parents Bars skills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymbugs

Proud Parent
Any tips on Clear hip? My daughter needs to get hers did level 5. Is that one of the difficult skills? She has her fly away but seems to be having a harder time with her clear hip.

My daughter is about to test out of 5. The clear hip took her awhile to get! She also got her flyaway first (although had to overcome a little bit of mental stuff with it). I just asked her now and she says she just has to really think about shifting her shoulders up. (I don't know if that makes sense!) I know I watched several practice over the course of a couple months where I didn't think she was ever going to get her clear hip- and then all of the sudden she did and it looks good- although at first I think her feet hit the ground while doing it. Good luck to your daughter! It will probably just take some time and patience!

No tips. Just wanted to say that it seems circling elements are tough for a lot of girls. Mine is a strong bars worker (first place bars L7 Regionals in a tough region and age group). She is making solid progress on L9 bars skills (bail, double back dismount, front giants etc.) except struggling with circling elements, e.g. stalder. I think they are tough to get for some. And I recall my DD saying the free hip to handstand was actually scary at first. (I know you don't need to go to handstand for L5, but still....)

I guess time and patience is the trick.

No tips. Just wanted to say that it seems circling elements are tough for a lot of girls. Mine is a strong bars worker (first place bars L7 Regionals in a tough region and age group). She is making solid progress on L9 bars skills (bail, double back dismount, front giants etc.) except struggling with circling elements, e.g. stalder. I think they are tough to get for some. And I recall my DD saying the free hip to handstand was actually scary at first. (I know you don't need to go to handstand for L5, but still....)

I guess time and patience is the trick.
I was just saying that the other day. I feel like the elements that have to do with timing give her the most trouble.

My daughter is about to test out of 5. The clear hip took her awhile to get! She also got her flyaway first (although had to overcome a little bit of mental stuff with it). I just asked her now and she says she just has to really think about shifting her shoulders up. (I don't know if that makes sense!) I know I watched several practice over the course of a couple months where I didn't think she was ever going to get her clear hip- and then all of the sudden she did and it looks good- although at first I think her feet hit the ground while doing it. Good luck to your daughter! It will probably just take some time and patience!
Thank you!

Any tips on Clear hip? My daughter needs to get hers did level 5. Is that one of the difficult skills? She has her fly away but seems to be having a harder time with her clear hip.
Another “you aren’t alone” post.

My DD is training level 5 too. I asked her last night and she said the clear hip is the hardest skill for her in the Level 5 routine.

I know she has the skill because she has been doing some full routines recently. But I don’t know how good it consistent it is.

I asked if she had any advice for someone else working on it. She said “no, mine isn’t that good either so I can’t really give advice”.

My daughter is a clear hip queen! LOL she has a beautiful one, but i truly think it is because of the way she was spotted and coached doing it. Maybe have her watch some videos in slow motion might help? There are also other circling skills she may do?

DD is working on hers too and struggling which she hates because bars is typically her best event. She learned the flyaway very quickly but is struggling on the free hip. I think its timing. I think working it on the strap bar helps with learning when to shift your wrists. Also the coaches have them work on thier back extension rolls while holding a parallette (sp?) bar on the floor. Its the same timing as a back extension roll and thinking about it like that might help but the wrist shift is what it always comes back to. Good luck!

DD is working on hers too and struggling which she hates because bars is typically her best event. She learned the flyaway very quickly but is struggling on the free hip. I think its timing. I think working it on the strap bar helps with learning when to shift your wrists. Also the coaches have them work on thier back extension rolls while holding a parallette (sp?) bar on the floor. Its the same timing as a back extension roll and thinking about it like that might help but the wrist shift is what it always comes back to. Good luck!
Exactly why level 5 is so important for bar development

Amen! And why coaches rushing gymnasts past this level can be detrimental to their optional levels.
From personal experience with my kid/our gym.

Mine was specifically kept in 5 to strengthen her bars. The rest of her group went on. They all did 2 yrs at 7. She caught up the second year.

And she ever gets her DFG, she will be the strongest bars of her group.

The clear hip was my daughter's nemesis for 2 seasons. It took its toll on her bar score. She finally has it constantly to handstand, but it took her forever to just keep her hip from touching up against the bar. Honestly, once she got her giant her clear hip improved so much. She just needed to feel a good circling skill so she would know what one was supposed to feel like.

And yes. Once she did it correctly she told me how fast the skill it is, and a little scary. Scarier to her than the giant.

From personal experience with my kid/our gym.

Mine was specifically kept in 5 to strengthen her bars. The rest of her group went on. They all did 2 yrs at 7. She caught up the second year.

And she ever gets her DFG, she will be the strongest bars of her group.
DFG? I am sure it's obvious but I even tried googling it and still can't figure this out.

I believe she is referring to her child getting her Giant, as in
D ( swear word, or darn, or dumb) F ( bigger swear word) Giant.
)
I believe she and her daughter are super frustrated about it.
LOL I thought it was a real abbreviation. For the life of me, I couldn't figure it out! My d is (was? :eek:) a four yr L10 and a good bar worker and I was like WTH is that??? Did I miss learning about a bar skill? LOL

I was curious about the DFG too! Lol makes total sense. Clear hip was a nemesis for my gymnast also.

I was not aware of the other options! Thanks for sharing those.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back