Best camp for a 7 year old?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I know there are a ton of posts about Woodward vs. IGC but I was wondering if anyone thinks one is better than the other for a seven year old first time camper?

One of DD's coaches said IGC is more play and would recommend Woodward for a more intense program. She thought IGC would be fine for this summer but maybe not after that...(not sure she is the best source though...)

IGC is only an hour and a half away (Woodward is 3 or so) so I would feel better with her being closer to home but don't want to waste the money if it's not worth it. The next early registration for IGC is November 15 so looking to make this decision sooner rather than later.

DD will be 7 in March and this is all she wants for her birthday!

IGC has way more supervision than Woodward, so I would choose it for a 7 year old.

But both places are pretty pricey.

Not sure about the play bit at IGC, they seem to work hard, but they do spot a lot.

I went to IGC 12 years ago, so my opinions could be very dated, but because of the large number of campers there is very little individual attention which might not be ideal for a younger camper. I was a just turned 10 year old and had a really hard time there. I think I would suggest either a day camp at a reputable gym or a smaller overnight camp just to give it a try. If she wanted to go away some place you could do the day camp option and stay in a hotel with her.

My dd did Woodward at 7 and loved it. They have special cabins and more oversight for those under 10 years old. It may depend a little on who the cabin mom is on the week she goes or on whether any teammates go but my dd had a wonderful experience at Woodward. She has gone every year since and she is not interested at all in IGC ( age 11 now). IGC is more structured, more supervised, but also rigid (IMHO) which can work against the younger camper. Woodward is more flexible, will help you change cabins/ roommates if necessary, let you call mom after hours if needed, let you keep your cell phone with you, let your coach visit and work with you, let your parent visit during the week. DD's cabin mom chased them around and made sure they ate and attended all the scheduled practices that year ( but not anymore- DD wouldn't miss one!)

Another option to consider is to see if any of the universities near you have a summer gymnastics camp. I think they probably are smaller and just as fun! My DD did one this past summer and had done their winter camp once before and loved it!

Hi, I'm not sure where you are located but my 8 year old daughter went to Flipfest in Tennessee. She loved it and I cannot say enough good about it. It is a smaller camp and is a true camp experience with a lake, tubing, fishing, and ropes course. I actually stayed the week and volunteered. They take so many volunteers a week. It was definitely a great camp experience for her.

My daughter went to Woodward as a 9-year-old this past summer. She really loved it. And I liked that they had "junior" cabins for the 9-and-under crowd, with an adult instead of a teen counselor and an earlier bedtime. That said, it's not a camp for everybody. My other daughter (Kathy's twin, Tory) went with me to drop her off and was completely overwhelmed in the 20 minutes she was there. There are a lot of girls in each cabin, and it's a big place... a lot like being on a college campus. Plus there were the skateboarders, BMX bikers, etc. When we got there, Tory's eyes got big and said, "I'm glad I'm not going here!" Then we left and I took Tory to her dance camp in western PA ("Forest Dancing" which I highly recomend... if anyone wants more info, PM me) and there were as many girls in the whole camp as there was in the two halves of Kathy's one cabin (the cabins at Woodward are duplexes... each side has their own couselor and, I think, 15 or so campers). The small camp was much more manageable for Tory. Both my girls had great summer-camp experiences (obviously, they are very different from each other... my own private "nature vs nurture" study). So I guess my advice is that Woodward would be great for an easy-going, outgoing, self-motivated 7-year-old, but it's a big, busy place, and if she is at all shy or easily overwhelmed, I'd see if you could find someplace smaller.

My daughter has gone to both camps as a little one. I think the chance to do gymnastics with new kids was great and she made lots of friends but it was not worth the money. She learned an amazing beam dismount each year but until she hits optionals a 1.5 half off the beam is useless. We did a visiting gymnast camp this past summer and it was great. A regular gym in a vacation town that lets your gymmie join their practices. They keep working on their routines, get a few new friends and still hit the beach. I still wonder why I spent $1000 on the second camp when it just didn't seem beneficial after the first one. :eek:

We did a visiting gymnast camp this past summer and it was great. A regular gym in a vacation town that lets your gymmie join their practices. They keep working on their routines, get a few new friends and still hit the beach. I still wonder why I spent $1000 on the second camp when it just didn't seem beneficial after the first one. :eek:

Is this an advertised thing, or is this something you worked out on your own? This sounds like a great idea!

It is very common very travelling gymnasts to work out at other clubs, some for fun and some out of need. My girls have trained in the UK and in San Diego, the former because we were away for a month and the latter as DD had a meet the day we returned. My girls were welcomed with open arms and it was a lot of fun too.

YOu must of course contact the gym ahead of time and see when they can fit you in to their team schedule.

Is this an advertised thing, or is this something you worked out on your own? This sounds like a great idea!

A lot of families have summer places in Cape Cod around here and there are a few gyms that have a visiting gymnasts program. I found out about it by word of mouth but I heard from a friend that they go to one in Myrtle Beach. You might just need to google it. I assume you go to the "Shore" in PA. That's what I did growing up there. :)

Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it!

We're not vacationers so I don't think dd will be visiting other gyms. She did all day gymnastics camp this past summer at another gym with no problems. She's not shy at all and I don't think she'd have trouble anywhere she went.

Does IGC have adult counselors?

we've heard that Woodward is too much "free time, fun and games" and that if the gymnast doesn't get to gym...oh well that's her problem

Ok, I'm gonna try and make this short! ;) So I've been to both IGC and Woodward PA. At IGC there's more structure and you are forced to go to meals and sit together at a table and there's no just sitting in your cabin all day. You go to meals, gymnastics, then at rec time you can wander and chill. At Woodward, you aren't forced to do anything, and your never with your counselor except while sleeping. If you didn't go to a meal, oh well. You only had a half a day of gymnastics and the other half was open gym, at IGC all day gymnastics til about 3 or 4 with a lunch break. Both recreations are the same though. But Woodward you could just sit in your cabin all day pretty much, while IGC is structured and your counselor will make you do it all! However, I went to IGC at 10 and Woodward at 11 years old, I think. So I never had that mommy counselor thing, so it may be different! Woo, tried to make that short! :rolleyes: So, that's just my experience!

I had thought that too from what I read on here but one of the coaches said the opposite...I think dd's gym may some have higher level girls that go to Woodward every year.

What other costs are involved besides tuition? Will she need a lot of extra stuff to take with her?

Gymnast 695 is right about the older girl cabins but it is different for under 10s at Woodward.

as far as extra money- horseback riding is pricey but if you are not doing that or buying clothing you can easily get away with $100 or less spending money. Go carts, arcades and snack bar ( there is plenty of food available but snack bar has pizza and frozen drinks) are really the only expenses. Rock wall, mechanical bull, target velcro wall, ropes course, recording studio are all included. (pool, water slide,and numerous other activities too.)

Kathy took $70 with her... $10 a day... and I told her that if she wanted a Woodward leo at the end she had better have at least a chunk of that left over to contribute to the price. That said, she made friends with another little girl who brought big bucks and paid for her to ride go-carts, eat ice cream, etc. I ended up visiting mid-week and told her that I wanted her to start making use of the "free" activities at camp, instead of taking advantage of the other girl's big heart and big bank account. At $850 for the week, I think she can eat in the dining hall (I also packed her a "goodie" box too, with snacks), swim in the pool, etc.

Another issue that I didn't mention that might be better with the more structured format of IGC... even though Kathy went to "open gym" at least once a day, I'm not sure how much she got out of it. You have to be very self-directed, get in line at the event you want to work on, and when it's your turn tell the coach "I need to work on my kip" or whatever. I think it can be intimidating for the younger/lower level gymnast to take that sort of initiative and also to feel comfortable asking for help with lower-level skills when maybe the girl in front of her in line did something very impressive.

Daughter went to IGC 1st time this year she is 10.. Personally I was alittle unconfortable sending her but she has been torturing me for 4 years. She is very outgoing was not at all afraid to get homesick unlike her friends who went with her they were scared of getting homesick. Surprise my child who could not wait to go got homesick. The counselors were very good with her and I think it was very supervised but as a parent I think 7 is young for overnight camp. As far as the gymnastic skills she did not get much out of that part everything is spotted and when she used the strap bar for trying giants there she told me she kind of twisted and crashed only got bruises. Before IGC she really want to try giants but now I think she is scared of them. I think her coaches at home are much better than the coaching she got there. She did have great time meeting other girls. Part of me is sorry for sending her because she came back less motivated than before she left. I do not know about Woodward but maybe in a few years if she continues in the sport I will send her.

When we travel, because we do get out of town for 1+ month a year I arrange for DD to work out at other clubs. I would much rather get her into a week of team-girls day camp at a gym near the beach and then rent a beach house for the whole family than send her to camp alone, but we'll see. Per another post I'm concerned about what passes for nutrition at camp and counselors not taking the mommy role with meal composition choices.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back