Coaches Break downs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Coach247

Coach
Is there a place, book, site, clinic, someone with available time, or anything like that, where I can find some information/help on how skills break down?

I'm talking basic skills, like handstands, cartwheels, pull overs, back hip circle.... How they are supposed to be done, how they are supposed to be teached?
I was thought in a very different way then USAG style and coaching USAG I feel like I'm not giving the girls all they need to reach their full potential.

Any coaches out there willing to help me?

The best plan would maybe be to contact a coach you respect and ask if you can work with them for a while. Be it one week chunks, one session a week, month, whatever. Go along, watch and learn :)

If you don't know anyone I'm sure Dunno can point you in the right direction.

Tally Ho, BG (I'm sure you are in the UK?) do regular clinics and coaching courses which do that as part of the course- you'll go along to bigger clubs for coaching days and be given a mentor to coach alongside/ under the supervision of.

Youtube is also a good source of drills and materials- if you search on chalkbucket plenty of people have linked to good ones.

Yes faith in the uk, YouTube seems to be my favourite, my mentor is fab, but I like to try and come up with some of my own ideas, or use ones I've seen on here!

Tally Ho, following on from Faith's comment I'd highly recommend the performance clinics BG is running at the moment. I went on a "women's artistic performance starter clinic" with Rochelle Douglas which was really good and I took away some useful drills :)

Is there a place, book, site, clinic, someone with available time, or anything like that, where I can find some information/help on how skills break down?

I'm talking basic skills, like handstands, cartwheels, pull overs, back hip circle.... How they are supposed to be done, how they are supposed to be teached?
I was thought in a very different way then USAG style and coaching USAG I feel like I'm not giving the girls all they need to reach their full potential.

Any coaches out there willing to help me?

There's some great videos on youtube- I'd recommend JAO video's http://www.youtube.com/user/JAOVideos and also GymcoachR2s blog http://swingbig.org/ :)

I've watched all his videos, over and over again. I have a playlist for vault, bars, beam, floor and strength. I love the videos. It helped me get my girls to be 2nd at their level 5 state meet last year. But I still don't know most of the Do's and most important the Don'ts of most of the skills.

I'm not an American gymnast. I was tough very differently. I've never had "real" corrections. It was do it or do it until you get it. Like: your elbows are bent, instead of, push on the bar; or jump higher, instead of, press your heels into the floor so your knees don't lean past your toes and you can go higher..

Watching the head coaches at our gym is the best learning opportunity I have and I try to do it as often as I an. But know I have groups all the time and I have no more time to watch and learn.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back