Canadian Parents spend lots of $$ on Hockey - survey

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I remember a few years back when my son was playing rep hockey for the first time. At the first parent meeting the coaches were really anxious about breaking the news to the parents that the total cost for the season would be about $1200, and that they would work with parents on a payment plan of instalments.

My eh and I just looked at each other and smiled to ourselves. So much less than gymnastics!

lol. Yes, my husband still gasps at the bank account when the monthly gymnastics payment comes out, yet doesn't seem to have the same reaction for DS' hockey or baseball fees. Of course, the hockey, baseball, flag football and golf my DS does almost adds up to DD's pre-competitive gymnastics fees. Can't imagine what they're going to be in a couple of years if she decides to stick with the gym...yikes.

This is a particularly painful time of year for us too. My younger daughter just started competitive too so we had two sets of meet fees to pay up front for the spring and two of all the other small fees at the beginning of the season. I had to make a calendar of fees so my husband doesn't have a stroke trying to figure out all the gym charges on our credit card, lol.
The only saving grace is that we don't have any travel meets this year, with the exception of the optional Magical one in Florida so there are no hotel stays this spring.
I can't imagine how we're going to scrounge up money for our youngest to do anything....and he insists he'd like to play hockey, lol!

This only makes me laugh since one of my meets, (an away meet) with all the hotels,flights, food and the meet itself with extra stuff too of corse it's probably close to 1200$! Lucky I thank my parents giving me this experience as I have decided this is what I wanted as my Christmas present. And of corse I am working to to help pay. But still!

^^^ this, one meet can cost $1200 easy. Even our regular meets, as we only do one a year in our home city, you are still looking at $100 meet fee, $100 gas, $100 hotel stay, and about $100 in food and extras for the day or so. $400 x 6 meets, + at least 1 travel meet $1200-$1500, plus provincials is in Fort Mac this year, so another 700km each way for that one. OMG why did I even type this out? It just looks so much worse when you see the numbers:eek:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back