Parents Chalk Warrior

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ty’s Dad

Proud Parent
Question

At what age/level is it a good time to make a Chalk Warrior account for your daughter? Was told I need to start thinking about getting one.

Question
You will see all different ages on there. It is up to you! What level is your daughter? What are your intentions when getting an account? Usually i hear once they are level 10's you start actively putting stuff out there for colleges to see.

My daughter is level 7 now maybe going 8 mid season not sure yet. As far as intentions I really don’t even know that much about chalk warrior, I thought it was a profile for colleges

I do not think you ever need a chalk warrior account. There was a big discussion about this a while ago.

It is to share with colleges. But you can do the same with a youtube channel. I doubt coaches are looking at chalk warrior without a link sent, hoping to find a gem. They are looking at easterns/westerns/nationals...camps, etc. So there are many ways to do the same thing..

I don’t think a chalk warrior account is necessary for level 7. I think it’s a money maker. Maybe around level 9.

I agree with all of the above (though we are huge fans of Chalk Warrior!!!), but you don't need to worry about starting anything until maybe level 9, but usually not until they are at level 10.

I read some articles on gymnastics and college recruiting. My take away was to record your daughter at her meets from level 7 onward. Retain these videos and when your Daughter decides she wants to attend college hand her access to the videos and advise her to send links of the videos to her favorite college coaches. Sit back and see what happens.

I read some articles on gymnastics and college recruiting. My take away was to record your daughter at her meets from level 7 onward. Retain these videos and when your Daughter decides she wants to attend college hand her access to the videos and advise her to send links of the videos to her favorite college coaches. Sit back and see what happens.
I have never heard of any college wanting to see anything from level 7...or 8..maybe 9 but surely 10 skills.

It stated some coaches liked to see the progress your gymnast makes from year to year. I wish I could find the link. It was actual interviews/questions being asked to college coaches. But to each their own.

Nope. Never. I think it’s a racket right up there with the 7 year old instagymnasts. Maybe a YouTube channel around level 9, right? Or a gym webpage to keep all the YouTube videos together. I have seen those, but really not before level 9.

Yep. My kid isn't shooting for college gym. But if she was I would have a youtube/instagram channel. That I would have control over and not involve another layer.

DD has a YouTube channel for gym stuff it started as an easy way to share with family and friends. Later, I created a dedicated channel and pushed all the gym videos over to it. I don't send out links for it yet... her previous coaches were aware of it and may have shared, but I haven't mentioned it to the new gym yet. I am hoping I have a few more years before I even need to think about it. I have L6+ on there (and a few older ones as well - but those were mostly because I would lose my dad card if I didn't put something out there to embarrass her :) )

It stated some coaches liked to see the progress your gymnast makes from year to year. I wish I could find the link. It was actual interviews/questions being asked to college coaches. But to each their own.
Exactly right, to each their own right! If someone wants to get a ChalkWarrior or whatever more power to them! Doesn't effect us so ...

In the summer before Level 10, I would have your child's videos available to colleges at their convenience (not on your meet schedule). It is wrong to assume any once source is the best source in gymnastics. There are many web developers and quite a few parents host their own websites for pennies. YouTube works fine, but a webpage from which you can track visits, is available 24/7 and which is easily update-able and organized is ideal.

Content wise:
List of skills competed on each event - with video links
List of skills training on each event - with video links
Face pictures or videos of the gymnast speaking so the coach can more easily connect with the gymnast (marketing trick)
Body pictures, especially recent ones
List of accomplishments beginning at Level 9
Clear biography with important details ABOUT YOUR CHILD. Templates not only miss vital details, but they also make the child seem robotic. Has your child led the run? Has your child hit her beam routine every time in the past 2 seasons? Has your child always qualified to JO nationals? Did your child have the highest scoring pike yurchenko at Level ___? Does your child help other children in the gym? Does your child drive twice across town, but is never late? Does your child have a poster of the college team on her wall? Biographies are not a list of facts; rather they tell the story of your child. What is her story and why should she be selected to compete NCAA?
Clear information on the child's academics. If you go to live school (full or part time) or attend one of the well-known online programs, please spell that out along with a list of classes they have taken.
Perhaps a one-page resume in PDF which is easy to print and includes body and face picture with youtube channel link? One of my children had this and I was flat-out shocked how many times it was downloaded (both by parents who wanted to copy the format and by colleges who needed a quick look to retain for their records).

I may be forgetting things...many other people on this board have been through this process and have excellent advice.

Realistically:
Attend summer camps at the college(s) in which your child is interested. The new thing is one-day fall camps so attend those too, if possible. Even the biggest gyms allow their gymnasts to attend these now, so speak sincerely to your coach about attending if an opportunity presents itself.
Nothing wrong with attending a college-bound camp, but attending a big meet or a small camp can work equally well.
Send emails often with video links. Keep them short and read-able. They should be in the child's voice and written by the child, but nothing wrong with a parent fixing a small item of grammar. If the parent writes them, they will lose the personality of the child and the child's personality is essential to this process.
Ultimately, place well, compete well, have great attitude, and connect with the NCAA coach on a personal level.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back