Circles on the mushroom?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mumoftwogymnasts

Proud Parent
DS needs these for a competion in a few weeks. He can do 3/4 quite well but just cannot manage a full circle. Coach says he is just so close and that it has to "just click in his head". Any tips ? or drills he can practice at home that may help?

He has to think he can complete past the 1st circle.

Fast hands.

Aggressive lean on one hand.

We work planks on in pushup, basically a straight leg crab and one arm on each side.

However, besides this, they need to be able to lean on their wrist and make their arm diagonal not vertical.

A bucket helps to some degree but only if they are mindful of the lean on one arm in the 1/4 and 3/4 position.

when my son was on the team the coach said if you can afford it having a mushroom at home for them to practice on is very helpful. Some parents found some really cheap used ones on e-bay and some of the equipment sites where they sell used equipment.

I think the mushroom is the sticking point for all the boys.

Instead of buying a $200 mushroom, I would build one or have someone build you one.

There are plans on the internet.

One of the problems about buying a mushroom, is if your gymnast gets past level 5 he won't really be using it much unless he uses it at home and more than likely by that time, he will be in the gym so much (4-6days/week@4hours/day) that he won't have time or inclination to at home.

For beginning gymnasts, doing a lot of work in a bucket is important besides the ability to hold the front, rear and side planks with proper wrist lean.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back