WAG Comparing the 7s

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cbifoja

Proud Parent
Okay, so I have both the "old" and the "new" optional charts open. These are the links I'm using:

Old: http://usagym.org/docs/Women/Rules/J.O. Code of Points/optreqchartappndx7-2009revAug2010.pdf

New: http://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Rules/J.O. Code of Points/appndx14_optreqchart_2013.pdf

My DD is training and hoping to compete L7 next season so I'm trying to familiarize myself with the requirements (lifelong nerd, can't/don't want to help it).

I'm not seeing a single difference from my limited understanding. Can someone point out how/if the new L7 is different from the old?

The levels 7s are almost the same. Only real difference is that in the new Level 7, a gymnast can do a salto or hecht dismount on bars.

The main differences are in the new optional level 6 which is an easier transition from compulsory to level 7, and allowing level 8s and 9s to do some more difficult skills in preparation for the next level.

I hope my coaches get this information soon. They think new level 6 is like old level 7 and new level 7 is like old level 8.

Level 7 bars no have some more difficult options. You can do a pirouette on bars now as well as a couple other options. Also, I read something about the clear hip- I think there is no longer an "A" clear hip, so clear hip has to now hit a 45 degree (I think) to count...but I am not sure on that one, someone may be able to clarify that.

@ Dyimnasta- our coaches are "upping" the expectations for L7 to minimize the jump from L7 to the top L8 routines. So, although the minimum requirements have not changed, they still want our L7's to have the skills that used to be at L8 (Full on floor, pirouette on bars, flight series on beam).

Level 7 bars no have some more difficult options. You can do a pirouette on bars now as well as a couple other options. Also, I read something about the clear hip- I think there is no longer an "A" clear hip, so clear hip has to now hit a 45 degree (I think) to count...but I am not sure on that one, someone may be able to clarify that.

Level 7s have been allowed to do cast handstand 1/2 pirouette, and clear hip/stalder/pike circle to HS (also with 1/2 pirouette) for at least the last four years. That isn't new.

There is no "A" clear hip in the new JO code. What that means is that any clear hip that is indeed a clear hip receives B value part credit. However, the judges can take more in amplitude deductions.

Level 7s have been allowed to do cast handstand 1/2 pirouette, and clear hip/stalder/pike circle to HS (also with 1/2 pirouette) for at least the last four years. That isn't new.

There is no "A" clear hip in the new JO code. What that means is that any clear hip that is indeed a clear hip receives B value part credit. However, the judges can take more in amplitude deductions.

oops. My bad.

So... since there are only "A" clear hips and more amplitude deductions, does anyone think that the scoring will be a little harsher this time? as in do you think the judges will be focusing on the clear hips more?

So... since there are only "A" clear hips and more amplitude deductions, does anyone think that the scoring will be a little harsher this time? as in do you think the judges will be focusing on the clear hips more?

Does anyone know what Vaults are allowed for "New Level 7" My daughter is flipping yerchenkos on Vt now and really hoping to NOT have to keep doing the Front Handspring like she did in last seasons LV 7

If you check out the link I posted for the new requirements, it says group 1 vaults only. No 'chenkos

Does anyone know what Vaults are allowed for "New Level 7" My daughter is flipping yerchenkos on Vt now and really hoping to NOT have to keep doing the Front Handspring like she did in last seasons LV 7

There are a few options but since they all start from a 10.0 many girls train other vaults during the season but still compete the FH. The vaults allowed at each level along with their start values are in the appendix information on the USAG site (The same place you find the optional level requirements. (Sorry, I don't know how to link it.)

There are a few options but since they all start from a 10.0 many girls train other vaults during the season but still compete the FH. The vaults allowed at each level along with their start values are in the appendix information on the USAG site (The same place you find the optional level requirements. (Sorry, I don't know how to link it.)

Here's the link. Like earlier posters said - other options available, but no tsuk or yurchenko for L7.

http://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Rules/J.O. Code of Points/appndx03_level6_8vaultvalues-2013.pdf

For Level 6 bars, what will the routine look like? Will they giant or do baby giants? A clearhip to 45 degrees? What dismount?

Personally, I will be using level 6 to help out kids that didn't quite make our level 7 requirements.

Meaning:
If they are pretty strong on 3 events but lacking a flight series on beam or giant on bars, they will compete 6.

Before these type of kids were level 6 again vs competing 7, until they met gym & usag requirements. It is a good opportunity for kids who just need a bit more time to solidly learn the foundation skills for optional gymnastics.

So....
Routine composition will vary depending on the athlete. I am sure there will be athletes doing a fairly typical level 7 routine from last quad (LB or HB clear hip and giant layout). There will also be the routines that only cast to HS and clear hip on HB to a layout dismount.

Since this is the first year of level 6 as an optional level, I do feel there will be a variance between skills selected for routines.

Thank you. So once they jump to the high bar at level 6, a minimum routine could do a clearhip to 45 degrees on HB into an immediate LOFA or could they tap swing after the clearhip into the dismount? Would a baby giant also meet the requirements if they did a clearhip on the low bar as well?

Tap Swings and Baby Giants are drills, not skills. Tap Swing receive an automatic .3 deduction in an optional bar routine. So the best option out of those would be clear-hip to immediate dismount.

Bare minimum new level 6 bar routine would look like this: kip, cast, clear hip, kip, squat on jump to hb, kip, cast to immediate flyaway OR kip on low, squat on jump to hb, kip, cast hs, clear hip to immediate flyaway. The second routine would be missing an A element if the cast isn't to hs, because a lower cast is not considered an element.

Bare minimum new level 6 bar routine would look like this: kip, cast, clear hip, kip, squat on jump to hb, kip, cast to immediate flyaway OR kip on low, squat on jump to hb, kip, cast hs, clear hip to immediate flyaway. The second routine would be missing an A element if the cast isn't to hs, because a lower cast is not considered an element.

Yes.... in addition to a low cast not being an element, despite the cast to horizontal meeting minimum angle requirement, level 6 athletes will also receive an up to 0.3 deduction for not achieving vertical.
-confirmed by Connie Maloney

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back