confusion over gymnast's progression to level 4

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

well, i was going to continue today. it'll have to be later. the double back thread was disappointing. i must now go calm down.
Oh dunno! I was so hoping you had posted one of your very informative post to this thread tonight. I've been patiently waiting the next chapter of my summer read:D. I want to thank you for all that you have posted so far. It has been both interesting & informative. Have a nice relaxing evening & please post more when you can.:D

AND STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT THE COMPULSORY MUSIC.

i love the level 4-6 compulsory music!! i think it's really catchy. i would hear it all day long when i worked at my gym teaching rec classes, and at every practice, and not get sick of it.

Dunno - I've been really hoping you would post more. You kind of left us hanging! Plus I would be really interested in what your thoughts are on my daughter's specific situation. I have learned so much about gymnastics through your posts. Please write more!

"If they had just told her from the beginning that prep op was a great fit for her, she would have been fine. But they keep encouraging this goal for her and then saying she can't do it. Any wisdom on how to handle this? "

what you wrote above in your first post bothered me the most. from the beginning, they should have known what the plan was for your daughter.

then, maybe things didn't go so well in her training. obviously there is an issue/contradiction when a coach keeps encouraging in one direction, then saying they can't. prep-op is a waste of time from a progressive gymnastics standpoint. prep-op are for kids that have little progressive future. and that's okay. there are several intrinsic benefits to participating in gymnastics. it's not supposed to be all about competing and what level you are at. they are to train and learn and train and learn and so on and so forth.

again, your daughter is only 9. there is no scientific publication or a paucity of literature that states that if your child is not a certain level by a certain age then all is doomed. and if someone tells you otherwise? disingenuous first comes to mind. most kids come in to their own in gymnastics by age 14. elite level gymnastics should be out of everyones mind until it happens on its own. as a coach, you know it when you see it. and we don't see it very often.

last interesting item i read by the IOC a few years ago was that it took 1 in 4 million births to make an Olympian. extrapolate that out to how many total olympic athletes there are in any given olympic games and divide into that ominous and daunting number. whew...buy a lotto ticket...the odds are better.

anyway, did not intend to keep anyone hanging. what type of info would you like me to comment on next? Q&A might be better at this juncture rather than me blather on. i have been at this for a very long time. bottom to top. both boys and girls. i'm willing to educate as best as i can to help the entire sport. especially the parents who are the most disadvantaged gymnastically speaking and create the most problems for their children and their gyms. 2 of the moderators are familiar with my background. i am credible and truthful even if that truth hurts. i'm in my 50's and began gymnastics in 1964. i have been with gymnastics continuously ever since. lots in my head with lots to say.

i'll now close with my mantra...gymnastics is the most difficult endeavor that a child will participate in.

Last edited by a moderator:
great reply! i would love to see a Q&A with you answering the questions. Though it could become overwhelming for you. Maybe have people submit questions and pick a few to answer? It has been very interesting to learn from you. :D

dunno,

Just want to say thank you for being willing to share you many years of experience with us. I like the Q and A idea as well. Even though I have been quite involved with dd's gymnastics for many years (this will be her 9th season of competition - she expects to do L10 for the 1st time), I think there is still lots that I could learn from you.

Thanks again for your insights.

dunno,

Thank you for your tremendous insight into the world of gymnastics. I look forward to learning more through reading your posts!

you are welcome. let the discussions begin. and shortly i will know if our FIG boy qualified to USA championships. us old timers do not call it visa's. just like we will never refer to classics being held in desmoines as "cover girl classics". lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
you are welcome. let the discussions begin. and shortly i will know if our FIG boy qualified to USA championships. us old timers do not call it visa's. just like we will never refer to classics being held in desmoines as "cover girl classics". lol.

well, we had 1 of 2 make it. 1 is better than none we say.:cool:

Dunno - Thanks for your response. I think like most parents, I just want what is best for my daughter, not just in gymnastics, but in life. I think gymnastics training can provide great life skills, even if the child is not a superstar. I believe that my daughter has what it takes to be great, but of course my viewpoint maybe somewhat biased. She is very flexible, very strong and gets skills quicker than anyone on her team. Her form needs polishing, but she has inproved exponentially on this in the year she has been on team. Most of all, she has the drive and committment to do whatever it takes to excel in gymnastics. What gym wouldn't want that kind of athlete on their compulsory tract? We had a meeting with the head coach a few weeks back and was told by him that it hard to keep up with where all the girls are at because they have over 100 girls on team. We do have girls all the way up to level 10, but the bulk are in the lower levels or preteam. He said they would evaluate her in 2 weeks and decide whether to change her to the compulsory team.

I am not changing gyms because apart from this issue, I love her coaches and she loves them and it has been a very postive experience for my daughter. The other gyms are too far away and I can't make any more sacrifces for the rest of my family in terms of time. This gym is not perfect, but I'm pretty sure no gym is. I am just trying to figure out how to be an advocate for my daughter without being one of "those parents" who are always complaining and wanting special treatment for their child.

Thank you for taking the time to consider and respond to my issue. I deeply appreciate it!

Follow up

Just wanted to let you know that they moved my daughter up to the compulsory team!! She is so happy and excited that her hard work has paid off. Yea!!!!!

I inquired to her coach, which led to a meeting with the gym's head coach. He suggested some private lessons and they would reeveluate in a few weeks. She did the privates and she was reevaluated and put on the compulsory team. Her confidence is through the roof and she is so happy. I am glad we stayed at our gym and worked through it. Would she have been moved up if I hadn't "inquired", who knows? But I am glad that I did! :)

Yay for your DD!!!!! Congrats to her. Good for you for speaking up for her and helping her to get to where she wanted to be and had worked so hard to get!!

UPDATE - DD was chosen to attend Judge's cup competition; only 2 out of 20 or so level 4s were chosen to go!! Her coach said it was a big honor and only those that they felt were ready and would score well were chosen to go. I am so proud of her and she is so happy. This will be her first level 4 competiton. I will let you know how she does.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back