MAG Crisis! Need help to pass test

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
Hi,

My 7 yr old son needs to pass a test in 4 weeks to enter a mag team. The test is pretty simple. 5 pull-ups
, hanging pike 5 s and some jumps. We have been practicing for 3 + months but are not making very much progress on the pull ups. We have tried everything from spotted pull ups/chin ups, negative pull ups, handstands etc but are still nowhere near 5. What are we doing wrong? I am a coach myself but I am at a loss here. We dont have access to a gym but have a pull up bar at home. Any ideas? He is still motivated so it is not in his head but he is becoming quite frustrated.

Help!

Thx

Mikael

Active kids burn food quick...you'd be surprised how much a pancake breakfast will help if you're sure to include the sausage, egg, and glass of milk.

Also, boys tend to develop strength later. I'm a girl, but I struggled with my chin-ups FOREVER. Couldn't do one. Then one day, I did 5. Make sure he is getting enough protein (might try whipping up a protein shake: chocolate protein powder, milk, frozen banana= delicious and a good extra protein boost) and eating a balanced diet, sleeping enough. Keep working on it. It WILL come, eventually. Don't forget to take rest days too.

I like to have my gymnast do chin up hold, lower down as slow as they can. You might also try tying a thick resistance band to the bar, leaving a hanging "U." He can do pull-ups, resting his knees against the band for assistance, and then you don't have to be there to spot.

Hmm, there's a bit of a disparity between 5 full pull ups and then hanging pike for only 5 seconds. I would expect a kid who can do 5 unspotted pull ups to be able to hang in pike at least 20 seconds. Are you sure it's 5 unspotted?

Like fuzi, I would try the chin hold first. (although I assume this is what you mean by negative pullups, but have him hold the chin up position). Is there a rope he can climb anywhere? Or even a pole at the playground. That might help and mix it up some.

We struggled with this too! My two boys (6 & 7) could do push ups, chin up hangs, and everything but an actual pull up. My husband - who was a marine & is our getting ready in the morning person - added push ups & pull ups to their morning inspection. Just 2-3 to start and he would help if they needed it. With in a month or so they could consistently do 5 and now they are up to about 10. For the record - he would have stopped it if they were miserable but they loved it. Now when they get up before us we sometimes don"t know until we hear little feet spider climbing the wall and the perfect pull up squeaking.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back